• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

GOATA movements and the dg throw

When searching Pubmed.gov for the last ten years there were 416 articles returned for "landing biomechanics kinematics" so there is at least a good deal of science for that particular sports related action and injury.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/?term=landing+biomechanics+kinematics&filter=simsearch2.ffrft&filter=datesearch.y_10

However, an author search on PubMed for Jose Guillermo Boesch produced no results (aka Jose "Gil" Boesch, Discoverer and creator of the Goata movement system to heal the body for lifetime antifragility. From his Facebook page).

To paraphrase "pictures or it didn't happen" … research article or it isn't science.

Man that was hard to listen all the way through. But certainly entertaining :D

^ Podcast Ep #32. Just finished listening to it, somewhat entertaining at least. Sounds like Spin & Throw.

Here's another critical podcast on goata:
#1 https://podtail.com/es/podcast/the-omucast/-012-goata-or-woata/
#2 https://podtail.com/es/podcast/the-omucast/-013-goata-or-woata-part-2-conversation-with-goata/

Are these ones more informative? Or more of the same back & forth? :wall: Hoping to give it a listen later.

Been out of town for a few days so haven't really read or listened to anything else regarding their stuff.

Kinda sad I think though, because their overall business approach is holding them back the most. I get it, they run a business, so they want enough info out there publicly so people want to learn more and become clients. I don't necessarily have any issue with that, we all have to make our living some way or another.

I think where they miss the mark though is how they kinda attack traditional research and then use fancy buzz words to back their own case. Again, I get it, for business purposes you need to have a bit of flair or secret sauce to stand out. But you're calling out the entire research community and saying you have it right and they're wrong without much else than a bunch of still photos isn't substantial enough.

It'd be interesting to see some of their ideas actually studied with some legit funding behind it. I do think there's some stuff to learn there, but for the sake of protecting their own business they're keeping it limited to buzz words and pics so they still have some exclusivity or relevance. I also think some of their ideas apply to certain sports or activities way more than others based on the types of movements.

Been out of town for a few days so haven't really read or listened to anything else regarding their stuff.

Kinda sad I think though, because their overall business approach is holding them back the most. I get it, they run a business, so they want enough info out there publicly so people want to learn more and become clients. I don't necessarily have any issue with that, we all have to make our living some way or another.

I think where they miss the mark though is how they kinda attack traditional research and then use fancy buzz words to back their own case. Again, I get it, for business purposes you need to have a bit of flair or secret sauce to stand out. But you're calling out the entire research community and saying you have it right and they're wrong without much else than a bunch of still photos isn't substantial enough.

It'd be interesting to see some of their ideas actually studied with some legit funding behind it. I do think there's some stuff to learn there, but for the sake of protecting their own business they're keeping it limited to buzz words and pics so they still have some exclusivity or relevance. I also think some of their ideas apply to certain sports or activities way more than others based on the types of movements.

Yeah, I really feel like they are on to SOMETHING. I'm just trying to derive where to draw the line between where that "something" ends and the nonsense begins.

Yeah, I really feel like they are on to SOMETHING. I'm just trying to derive where to draw the line between where that "something" ends and the nonsense begins.

The "something" is that having flat feet is bad. As a person with flat feet I already knew that. In order to have GOATA foot posture I need to keep the ball of my feet off the ground. Unless their hoodoo can magically give me an arch, there is no way I will ever be GOATA.

The "something" is that having flat feet is bad. As a person with flat feet I already knew that. In order to have GOATA foot posture I need to keep the ball of my feet off the ground. Unless their hoodoo can magically give me an arch, there is no way I will ever be GOATA.

Makes sense. So pretty much what is outlined in this video SW shared:

You can basically skip in to 11min on the first vid.

It makes sense to me that you wouldn't want to "load" the plantar fascia with the fascia in contact with the ground. But I don't see how that is possible in extreme lateral athletic movements. Maybe just don't collapse the knee inwards like a knee slammer?

I would be really interested to see some studies on their bows & corners theory. But they've basically come directly out and said that they're not gonna wait for science. :rolleyes:

Intrigued by the concept, I did two GOATA runs and two days of GOATA kettlebell snatches. I did the snatches on a tilt board I made in my garage. I actually do feel the difference in how my muscles activate. My calves were burning in new places, and actually the entire chain up my back felt the difference.

The weirdest thing is that I feel like the "reprogramming" is real. I found myself walking and standing on the outer edge of my feet doing normal daily tasks.

I just played the two worst rounds of disc golf I can remember. I am directly attributing the disc golf failure to the GOATA stuff. Maybe it is the newness but early results are not promising.

Intrigued by the concept, I did two GOATA runs and two days of GOATA kettlebell snatches. I did the snatches on a tilt board I made in my garage. I actually do feel the difference in how my muscles activate. My calves were burning in new places, and actually the entire chain up my back felt the difference.

The weirdest thing is that I feel like the "reprogramming" is real. I found myself walking and standing on the outer edge of my feet doing normal daily tasks.

I just played the two worst rounds of disc golf I can remember. I am directly attributing the disc golf failure to the GOATA stuff. Maybe it is the newness but early results are not promising.

I've been trying to incorporate this into my runs also. My feet aren't totally flat, but definitely a bit flatter than a typical arch. I've also been trying to strengthen the notoriously weak core and glute medius that most runners have.

I also sit all day at work, so have been making it a point to try and get a couple glute activation exercises in before I go out on a run. The last two years have been higher volume miles at a lot slower pace, so I think form and strength in general has just gotten sloppy. Things have been feeling smoother again on runs, but I don't think it's fair to try to pinpoint one single change that's made the difference.

I could definitely see how initially the disc golf throw could suffer. I've noticed that standing upright at rest my femurs are externally rotated slightly so my toes point a bit outwards. I've been working on correcting that, but know that a small change could make a difference in timing or range of motion.

Latest posts