• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Going to Chicago 9/13-9/18

blazerico

Eagle Member
Anybody have ideas on where to play? I'll be staying downtown and probably won't have trasportation besides mass transit. Does anyone want to give me a ride and play a round? I can return the favor if you are ever in the Philadelphia area. -- Now I have to figure out which discs to cram into my carry-on.

If you're downtown, there's a course you can ride the train to at the Illinois Institute of Technology, I've heard it's an ok course. You'll want to see if you can get a little ways out of the city to play some better courses, either south into Indiana to play some of the Lemon Lake courses, or out west to Joliet (or if you have the time, northwest to Rockford).

I just started playing DG. I play IIT (the course mashnut described) about 3-4 times a week. It's reachable by the green or red lines on the CTA. I wouldn't call it a great course, but it certainly is accessible, and it's pretty unique in that it's nestled into an urban college campus.

I don't know many other courses in the area, but I plan on getting around a bit more over the next month or two. I'd be happy to try to meet up for a game or two at courses in the area (maybe Lemon Lake). Just send me a message closer to when you are coming into town.

Justin

I live in the chicago suburbs. There are many courses in the area, but as far as the DT scene there are just 2.

If you are able to get some transportation...youll have more than you can chew ;)

check the course directory on www.pdga.com and just put in Illinois and pull up the search

Two in downtown? Which other one are you talking about?

Also, I personally think that the course directory on this site is way better than the PDGA directory, especially with the map search feature.

ive never used the one here as i havent been a member long and would use the one on PDGA.com more frequently

here is the other one i am talking about.
http://www.pdga.com/course-details?id=3104

and there is one more on the 'outskirts'
http://www.pdga.com/course-details?id=2422

the club im in has been discussing trying to get an event out here but nothing has developed with it so far, but seems like a hell of a place

Ah, ok. I haven't played the Edgebrook one either, but the Summit course is a decent place to play especially if you like wooded tight courses. You should really check out the course map on here, it's really nice to be able to see on a map where all the courses in an area are in relation to one another. The reviews of each course here give a ton of information you won't find over on the PDGA site too. I switched when the other site was down for a while, and liked it so much over here I haven't been back.

Which club are you in?

I just perused the directory here and it def is much more informative.

Im in the Fox Valley Metro Disc Golf Club (home of the club with the longest name) haha

Home courses are Eagle Ridge in Oswego and Jericho Lake in Aurora

Very cool, haven't had a chance to play there yet, I live right on the lake so it's a bit of a drive. I'm going to try to be there this weekend for the tournament though.

I'm going to be there for work, so I don't know when I'll be able to squeeze a round in. Hopefully, I'll arrive early enough to go somewhere Sunday. Thanks for the input.

Edgebrook sounds like a miserable place to play unless you have a huge arm and love to bomb drives all day long (and don't mind paying $10-$15 for a round). Also, the DG course was closed for repairs when I tried to play there a few weeks ago (this was before I saw the reviews). Ball golf was open, though.

Justin

Watts Park in Glencoe is .8 miles from either the Glencoe Metra station or the Hubbard Woods Metra station. It is a 9 hole, safe, well maintained, pretty midrange course. Not long or overly challenging but many of the holes have enough trees to keep you honest. I enjoy it a lot as far as the challenge to shoot 6 under or better.

hmm, the Problem with Chicago is you have to drive to any "good" course in NE IL, ie set aside a good 6+ hour chunk of your time, which can be tough on a work schedule... PM me, and depending on my schedule (think I have a show that week) if you have the time, I'd be happy to take you on a tour of the Joliet courses... once again, it's a time factor, expect to spend an hour on the train to almost anywhere...

After looking at the map and comparing walking distances from metra stations, it seems that these parks might be possible and somewhat worth it:
The Oaks, Madison Meadow or Sergeant Means. Any thoughts or preferences? Anybody have course maps? will I need a map? The Oaks seems like the shortest walk, so I am leaning towards going there. Haven't looked into train times yet.

FYI...the Oaks is an awesome course. Make sure to sign in at the Rec center and get your card. Doesnt cost anything and acts like your 1 time registration to the place

27 holes of awesome

I went to Chicago for business and really enjoyed playing the course at IIT. The fact that it is only about 1 block away from the "EL" really was nice.

Just got back last night. Played the IIT course and The Oaks in Mokena. Both were very close to trains(10-15 min. walking distance). Locals were very nice and helpfull with finding my way around. I definitely recommend stopping by the comm. center at the oaks to get the course map. IIT was a good course considering the location. I sorta used it as a warm up for the oaks the next day. One thing to note is the listed par for these courses-- it is way too high. Considering I shot a -30 at the oaks and -6(can't remember) at IIT, I don't think any of the holes should be more than a three par. Overall, I am just grateful that I had a chance to play in another state while on a business trip.

Latest posts