• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Golf Disc Durability Testing Video

Love these discs, carry a summit and a vp every round. I gotta say those five finger things (can't call them shoes) are weird though, first person i've ever seen wear them was in this video

Love the vid...I also love the complaining about the prices of the discs in the comments. Yeah sure the DX/S/Pro-D are only $8, but he ate through 4 of them before the vibram disc was slightly warped...that is $32 vs. $15.

Besides, if you ever hit enough crap to wear out a vibram disc you should probably find another hobby!!

This video doesn't really sell me anything. The plastic is harder, big deal. The ridge I got in my players pack at BG Ams was as taco'd as any disc at the end of that video and all Steve Dodge did was tell me to boil it in water and put it under a phone book. Also I don't throw any discs at concrete walls, and rarely hit any trees at high speed from 20 feet away.

I'm glad Vibram is in the DG business and hope they continue to succeed. I love the Five Fingers. I hope they stop wasting time with vids like this though.

all i can say is that it appeared to be a very stress relieving endeavor. I also think I've found a way to beat in Rocs faster lol.

This video doesn't really sell me anything. The plastic is harder, big deal. The ridge I got in my players pack at BG Ams was as taco'd as any disc at the end of that video and all Steve Dodge did was tell me to boil it in water and put it under a phone book. Also I don't throw any discs at concrete walls, and rarely hit any trees at high speed from 20 feet away.

I'm glad Vibram is in the DG business and hope they continue to succeed. I love the Five Fingers. I hope they stop wasting time with vids like this though.

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the feedback. The Bowling Green discs were packaged incorrectly and sat in the TDs garage for two months bending out of shape. This will not happen again. My recommendation to you should have helped put it back in shape (if it did not help, please PM me and we'll make it right).

I hope you were able to give the disc a try or at least let it find a good home, where it could be cherished for being the unique special rubber snowflake that it is.

Regarding this video, yours is the first negative comment that I've seen, so I want to dig deeper. The goal of the video was to demonstrate that the X-Link material will outlast three of any conventional putt and approach discs.

Perhaps in the next video (and yes, there will be more), I'll explain that we recommend players use their putters as putters AND approach discs (and drivers when you can reach the hole with your putter) and that a disc that beats in slower is going to be more reliable over the long run, thus saving strokes. And saving the environment (fewer discs purchased). And saving money.

Let me know if there would be anything we could do that would be useful.

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the feedback. The Bowling Green discs were packaged incorrectly and sat in the TDs garage for two months bending out of shape. This will not happen again. My recommendation to you should have helped put it back in shape (if it did not help, please PM me and we'll make it right).

I hope you were able to give the disc a try or at least let it find a good home, where it could be cherished for being the unique special rubber snowflake that it is.

Regarding this video, yours is the first negative comment that I've seen, so I want to dig deeper. The goal of the video was to demonstrate that the X-Link material will outlast three of any conventional putt and approach discs.

Perhaps in the next video (and yes, there will be more), I'll explain that we recommend players use their putters as putters AND approach discs (and drivers when you can reach the hole with your putter) and that a disc that beats in slower is going to be more reliable over the long run, thus saving strokes. And saving the environment (fewer discs purchased). And saving money.

i think you should compare them to the more premium plastics

I hope you were able to give the disc a try or at least let it find a good home

That disc was quickly traded for a used disc.

The goal of the video was to demonstrate that the X-Link material will outlast three of any conventional putt and approach discs.

It only showed that they would withstand damage better when thrown firmly against concrete. Many people use soft putters for the feel it gives them in their hand as well as the chain-grabbing grip they think it adds.

I currently use full color and glo aviars as my putting staple (3 in the bag) and find that they do break in over time (which I like). They give me a nice mix of firmness for consistent release as well as grip for putting and approaches (and drives from time to time). I have hit plenty of obstacles with them throughout the years but have never had a scratch like those shown in the video due to concrete. Also, minor bending does happen from time to time which is generally easily bent back if done relatively soon after the original mishap.

I've thrown several VPs (unthrown black Vibram Open, two green protos, and a couple of standard releases) and added a summit to my bag for about a month. I liked the summit a lot and recommended it as a straight flyer or hyzer flip disc to a bunch of people before it gradually taco'd just a little bit and wouldn't bend back into shape the way my aviars do. It became way too flippy for my use and I took it out.

Personally I find the x-link plastic way too slippery and firm and can't wait for some super soft ridges and summits to arrive. I'll definitely be buying a few! Also, your minis rock. (that's the kind of plastic I'd like to see in some of your discs) Let me know if you need any other feedback. :p

I like the video, to me it's simillar to how high end cars showcase thier safty features- you know, basically showing that it's tested. Music is okay, some ska would be nice;)
What's going to be the focus of future videos?

So if the durability is as high as shown, I probally don't need more then a few of each, yet I have a stong urge to buy more. Where can I get those chunk ones? What would be real sweet is a vp to match my merrell riots:)

Cool video, but seeing those Wizards I know they can be bent back to shape and still used. I've deformed soft and supersofts worse and brought them back to shape and after a couple of tosses they're ok.

Interested in the Ridge though, I'll order one at some point to compare against my Wizards.

... can't wait for some super soft ridges and summits to arrive. I'll definitely be buying a few! Also, your minis rock. (that's the kind of plastic I'd like to see in some of your discs) Let me know if you need any other feedback. :p

Thanks Scott, and please, no tongue on the first date. :sick:

That is pretty impressive video. Lets be honest though, baseline Vibram plastic it not compareab le to the cheap stuff in this video. I want to see them test their plastic against Star, Champion, ESP and ESP FLX plastic and then get back to us.

That is pretty impressive video. Lets be honest though, baseline Vibram plastic it not compareab le to the cheap stuff in this video. I want to see them test their plastic against Star, Champion, ESP and ESP FLX plastic and then get back to us.

It would also be interesting to see comparisons to both the HPP plastic and a SSS plastic putter from Gateway. The HPP would probably hold up more like star plastic, and the SSS tend to fold on impact then bounce back into shape pretty well, which is what it looks like the Vibram putter did in that video.

Latest posts