• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Good alternative for a leopard ??

Jack Daniels

Birdie Member
So right now my fairway slot bridging my buzzz looks like this 12x Tbird/star Tbird/dx Tbird/ and 168 champ leopard. Im super stoked on the tbirds but not really digging the feel of the leopard or the flight so much. Im looking for a good hyzer flip, turnover fairway. The (super beat)dx Tbird did pretty good for this but now its just a roller. Any suggestions?

beat that star or get another dx and work that baby hard to get it beat to that spot. a standard mjls may work also, nothing will beat the leopard though. River? lighter flatter gl to be exact flies a lot like a leopard.

personally from what ive seen/heard your buzzz/a beat buzzz can act in that understable fairway slot if thrown hard enough. I have read in multiple spots that Barry Schultz only throws leopards like 30ft further than his rocs. i know for a fact that the buzzz has a driver like flight path and in most cases is longer than the roc. just my 2cents but if you are really looking for a good one try a lat 64 GL river it seems to get good reviews on here i myself just purchased a 168 gl river but havent thrown it pretty excited to though.

Is the leo too overstable or not stable enough? Is it that you are throwing your buzzz almost as far as the leopard?

i would say from least to most overstable would be xpress, leo, xl, jls..
The xpress and leo are shorter then the other too while a river would be idealy longer then them all.

The River. Get a flat heavy colorshift for turnovers and a domey gold line for straight shots.

what didn't you like about the leopard? what do you want this disc to do?

try a lighter X XL. i have a 163g that flips over real easy, won't turn and burn so long as you don't roll your wrist or give it too much anny

Just got a Leopard and a River for Christmas, and the River has been a great complement to my Teebird. Much easier for me to control, and you gotta love the glide.

i agree fully with your "less than psyched" attitude with the leopard, and agree fully with your love of teebirds. so... my advice would be the following: 1) pick up some rocs, in 180....they have changed my game entirely. 2) try a river as many above me have suggested....they have tons of glide, though not terribly understable, if you get a 165 or so you can turn them. 3) dx cheetah......super unappreciated turnover fairway driver i would recommend.4) Gateway element HPP in 172 to 176........... also a game changer. 5) Discraft hawk or meteor.
That should be a good start

just reread the original post

the problem is that lame champ plastic. get a pro leo, totally different disc

If you're looking for an understable fairway driver the Z Glide is great. I use it to hyzer-flip to flat or hyzer-flip turnover. It's not really good as an anhyzer disc though because it's a bit too understable to stay aloft when released at that type of angle. What's really unique about this disc is that it doesn't fade, at all (unlike the Leopard). If it flips up to flat it will stay that way and go dead straight with a gentle landing. If it turns over, it will give you a nice consistent turn all the way through to the end.

Last edited:
Pro leopard is the correct answer. It flies how a Leo is supposed to. But if you don't like how a leopard feels and just want to replace your beat dx teebird, just get another dx teebird. It's not a difficult decision.

I also struggled with the leopard until I moved to pros. I also find glow leopards to be good.

What is it that you don't like about the flight path of your leopard. What kind of flight path are you looking for in this slot? Do you not want it to be fadeless? Does it have too much high speed turnover or too little?

Latest posts