• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Good control, but no distance?

One of the Champion Valks has "Juliana Korver 5 Time Women's World Champion" on it, if that would matter.

ETA: Now that I've strained my eyes and held this one up to the light I can see a super faint 150 on it.

as i read....
you have 4 discs...
1 Valk and 1 Leopard @ 168 +/-
1 Valk and 1 Leopard @ 150 +/-

throwing these two are similar but very different skill sets just the same. expecting to get similar results with 2 identical throws wont be productive.

if it were me, i'd ditch the 150g discs and take the 168's to the field and see if (after a few throws) you get the accuracy you seek. The yo-yo in weights is probably really messing you up. (the 150's, however, are a great way to practice form and eliminate OAT issues.)

FYI - with no wind, if throw flat your discs will do the following (if not beat-in to death)
Valk - If 300' is your max, throw at 80% power and aim AT something this is a placement disc. If throw flat, it should have a slight turnover and gentle fade (gentle 'S'). - I'd expect 275'(ish) it has the potential to point-shoot-park....(absolute precision)
if it's new it will fly straighter and get maybe 250'(ish)+/-

Leopard - If 300' is your max, throw at 60% and try for a very smooth consistent release; throw AT something as this is a placement disc. (Do not overpower this disc or it will flip). When thrown flat, it will turnover and drift before it fades. i'd expect 230-240'(ish)? this disc has the potential to point-shoot and park (in the general area). (aka "finesse")
if it's beaten in, it will flip and turnover for a long time.

once you can get the disc to perform as above, then you've mastered them enough to determine their true lengths and how they can help you. If properly beaten in, and thrown properly, discs will fly exactly (very similar) to the flight chart posted by innova.

For me, i throw a Tbird (300'), Roc (250') and a Rhyno (200'); course distance. I wouldnt expect (for me) that i would use Valk in ranges much past 315' and i wouldnt use a leopard in ranges past 250' (ish)??? <- I dont use a leopard or valk anymore so these are my guestimates. ????
*I'd probably use a Valk as a 275-300' laser precision disc and (probably) not worry about killing its accuracy in the longer ranges. But @ 275-300' i would know that if i had a line, the disc would be parked.

* i write this as i am not 100% certain, still, that your discs dont need to be replaced. and, you might have an incorrect perception of how far a disc should go or it's range.

Last edited:
Good info! I'll keep working on it.

I felt like I was seeing good things today just throwing my putters. Hopefully if pick up where I left off with them, I'll throw my drivers some tomorrow.

Will the weights of the discs really make that much of a difference?

Sorry, I forgot that not everyone is fluent in internet shorthand. BTW = by the way; TS = thread starter (you).

Discing down is something I was told to do when I first started trying to get better and it's worked wonders for my game. Basically, you've already started since you're taking the putters out for a spin. But the idea is to simply throw the slowest disc possible to achieve the shot with accuracy and precision having precedence over distance. Take your mids, putters, and slow drivers and practice golf lines with them over and over, while maintaining good form so as not to practice bad habits. It's a little rough at first but it's helped me and a lot of people on here so it's worth checking out.

Discing down thread

Good info! I'll keep working on it.

I felt like I was seeing good things today just throwing my putters. Hopefully if pick up where I left off with them, I'll throw my drivers some tomorrow.

+Will the weights of the discs really make that much of a difference?

yes, but no..
no... discs will fly as they are designed if thrown properly.

yes.... the variance between 150 and 170 can be a uniquely different throw.
Going heavier has a tendency to reduce distance while increasing accuracy and going lighter has a tendency to increase distance while decreasing accuracy.. Dropping from 170 to 150 will massively amplify any throwing errors and may make a disc usable in a different manner than its heavier counterpart.

If your weight difference were 5g's i wouldnt say much...but there are many pros who would tell you that throwing in the 150g weight class is enough of a difference between the "regular" class that it's an entirely different throw.

Yes, my boy Steve Rico hasn't been back to the 150 Class Japan Open because dropping from his heavy weight stuff down to that was tricky and then it took him about 2 months to adjust back to the heavy discs when he got back here. It threw off his game so much that he felt it took him out of contention for Worlds and the USDGC because he was still trying to adjust to the stability difference.

So today I went out and threw my putters and mid ranges for awhile, no run up, just a reach back and throw trying to get a good weight shift and follow through. Started out with mixed results with them. I was throwing slightly uphill and into the wind, which I later decided was messing with me some. After awhile I started throwing back to my bag from where my discs landed, with pretty good results when I made a competent throw.

I threw a few drivers near the end, again no run up, just reach back and throwing through. Up hill with the wind I was only getting 70-75 yards with pretty good consistency. Down hill, Down wind, I was throwing 90+ yards easily. Almost into a construction site, so I actually had to stop doing that lol.

All measurements are done with a laser range finder.

I had very few meathooks throws, if any. Most of my bad throws were really bad pulls way right, but most of those were some of my longer throws with the disc they were done with.

Also wanted to add, that I still didn't notice anything difference in flight with different weights. Tomorrow I'm going to just throw two at a time and try to come up with a thought on weight differences.

So about a month or so ago i had the same issue and switched to throwing an impact and a leopard ( and putters a lot )to get my form right, and i also watched the more snap 2009 video and went out and really tried to throw with snap

and i just had the whole snap thing click and WOW what a difference!! A wraith that previously had not gone far for me and just crashed hard hyzer after about 200 ft, now i can make it flip over just a bit and stay straight for 330ft ish...

the thing that helped me with snap was holding the disc harder and following thought more.

So what would be good, reasonable, distance goals to reach with a no run-up technique? I've been working on just reaching back, and trying to get a good weight shift, and follow through.

With valkyries, I've been hitting 250ft give or take five yards pretty consistently.

Putters 150ft, midranges, 170-200ft.

I need to get my girlfriend to video me, so I can post it up for laughing/critique.

Latest posts