• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Good FH midrange?

Rbuzz9

Eagle Member
I'm trying to add to my FH quiver - my FH is turning out to be surprisingly much more accurate & consistent for drives - what would people recommend for a good Forehand midrange disc? I use Xcals as my primary Forehand drivers. I've tried flicking my Buzzz's forehand but they look ugly coming out of my hand and i always pull them too much - get good distance but they never fade until the bitter end. I'm looking for something i can muscle a bit and dont have to worry about turning over like a Buzzz.

I'm thinking something in the neighborhood of Banshee or Whippet.

I love my champion Banshee for forehand shots under 275'. I can actually throw it better than I can my FH distance drivers (Venom, X-cal, Starfire) because I don't try to put too much behind it. It is also great for shorter trouble shots where you just give it a little wrist flick to get around obstacles. One word of caution, this disc loves to skip! It's like a hyper-happy kid on a sugar buzz! I bought a Discraft Drone for similar purposes in hopes of toning down the skip factor for certain shots but found it impossible to throw a FH with.

I have a buddy that used to forehand everything...he always used a champ whippet-x. They are hard to find but the whippet was his approach disc of choice for what its worth.

try a Drone!!, there indestructible in flx and will handle anything you can throw at them / throw them at.
Also don't be fooled by their speed ratings they will go 300ft no probs.
Whippets, heavy Wasps and vipers are all ace too.

Star Gator may be the exact disc you are looking for. The reason I say this is because I had encountered the same issue as you, but from the other end. I already have the perfect forehand midrange (170 Star Gator), but just yesterday settled on a whippet as my forehand fairway driver, because I believe it to be a longer version of the Gator. Sounds to me like you are looking for a slower disc from the same overstable family of XCal/whippet/banshee/reaper. Problem solved.

If you want something in the neighborhood of a Banshee or whippet but an actual midrange (not a fairway driver), the answer is without a doubt the Star Gator. It's beadless, feels great in your hand, (DX has a big bead and just doesnt feel as comfortable in my hand) and you can really crank on it without flippin it over. It is a midrange control disc, so if you want accuracy, its the way to go. Not as much glide as a roc or buzz, but a nice overstable mid to thread gaps and park in a spot of your choosing. I use it as my all-purpose midrange. In star, it will fly the same time after time, and keep you out of trouble in tight situations

Cool thanks for the suggestions i just settled on a $7 DX Whippet just to see what the hell a very overstable midrange/fairwaydriver disc would fly like.

i have a star whippet-x and it is a beast havent yet unleashed it as a forehand fairway driver, more of a get out of trouble trick shot disc for me.

Have to agree...Star Gator...very overstable so you can crank it, but it is a true midrange disc.

For those reccomending the Drone, do you have to modify your grip in any way to get it fly right? When I try to toss mine FH, it wobbles like a drunken duck and turns over into an accidental roller.

Ive been messing around with a shark lately for FH midrange, the profiles similar to the buzz but a bit sharper. You gotta use more wrist than arm for it just like a buzz.

Never thrown a Star Gator, but I hear a lot of good things about it. I use a Champ Whippet-x or a Firebird for medium distance forehand shots (depending on how much skip I want), but honestly you can forehand any midrange...you'll just have to make adjustments. If you're turning your usual midrange discs over or if they're fluttering a lot, you might try experimenting with different amounts of speed and spin. Try keeping your elbow very close to your body when you release, and experiment with different angles of release.

I'm a big fan of anhyzers, so the forehand ONLY comes out when the line I have to hit is too tight or the ceiling is too low for an anhyzer to work. Also, an overstable disc like a Gator or Whippet will almost always have a hyzer finish, so if you want to be able to throw a forehand that finishes straight or with anhyer, practicing with less-stable midranges will be of help.

Gators are really slow. Nice, but slow. It allows you to throw hard towards a basket and have it die out not too far past it.

I read a good piece of advice on one of the DG forums that really helped me so i'll share: You should be able to forehand any of your discs. I was having a lot of problems turning discs over forehand, especially the mids. I had to relearn the snap because I got too used to throwing overstable stuff that was difficult to flip. I found out that I had to slow the arm speed way down and really focus on snapping the mids out there. Once I made the adjustment it was no problem to FH any of my mids. I use a Roc, spider, shark, and a couple of discraft ace race prototype discs.

definitely sounds like a good idea. i think after a while getting so many discs can help so much with you're game by masking problems. after a while you just need to get real good form to better yourself in the long run.

Does anyone change up their grip when throwing a midrange forehand? like use a scissor grip like one would use for throwing an ultimate disc FH?

Ive been going back and forth with different grips. I started out using just the index finger on the inner rim for everything. And then I started using the middle finger grip on the inner and felt like I had more power with that, but its been in and out. I definately like that middle finger grip on the mid range discs and anything that has a deeper rim. I guess Im having trouble with throwing drivers flatter with the middle finger grip right now.

When I throw a driver FH, I use my index and middle fingers, both pressed mainly against the bottom flight plate, but with the side of my middle finger touching the inside rim.

I do pretty much the same thing with midranges, but I rotate both fingers slightly inward toward the rim, so the pad of my middle finger is resting flat against the inside rim. I also spread my fingers out slightly to give the disc a larger "base" to rest on.

With putters, I use 3 fingers...ring finger resting againts the inside rim, middle finger resting against the ring finger, and index finger about an inch closer to the middle of the disc for stability.

When I started throwing FH, using just the index finger felt most natural, but after messing with the two-finger grip a while it helped a lot with aim/accuracy.

Does anyone change up their grip when throwing a midrange forehand? like use a scissor grip like one would use for throwing an ultimate disc FH?

no ultimate player is going to advocate the "scissor" grip, just like disc golf discs, throwing scissor grip with an ultrastar will significantly reduce spin. the index and the middle finger on the inside edge is most commonly accepted/

got the whippet - threw it a few times around my place - nothing full speed its definitely overstable - the cool thing about the disc is the Innova stamp is the older one like this
min-whippet-dx.jpg