• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Good idea to wash discs?

IcyWynter

Sometime when I finish playing DG, I would wash my hand and arm with diswasher soap to ensure there is no urushiol oil residues. Should I wash discs too? is it safe to wash them?

Thanks in advance! ;)

Use a mild dish soap and warm water. I like to keep the extra grunge off of my discs as well, and I've never had a problem.
I also will use acetone to clean the stubborn spots around the rim. But be warned, acetone will remove the stamps.

Acetone will also remove the grippiness from your disc.

Yep I use to wash my discs around 1-2 times every 3 months. It's nice to see them nice and clean. But now I'm not caring too much and the seasoned disc look is starting to grow on me.

i always use cold water as heat of any kind can soften plastic and allow dome height changes and whatnot. a tiny bit of dish soap too

Soap and water works very well for cleaning discs. It's also a pretty good idea to do so.

I hand wash them like dishes at least once a month(no I mean I wash my dishes more often than once a month :D). A sponge, hot water and dishwashing soap is enough for me, it gets this annoying sand dust off that sticks to zeroline and dx plastic.

In addition to asthetics; a nice benefit of a good wash with regular dishwashing soap is getting oils (from dirt/hands/etc) off of discs which will increase grip.

I wipe mine down with windex every week. The alcohol in the windex gets rid of the oils pretty well. When they are real dirty ill put them in the sink.

id be careful washing plastic regularly with anything abrasive, including some dish soaps which are engineered to lift off grease. Plastics can get brittle and dried out, especially vibrams NEED natural oils.

I would never "wash" my discs, sure maybe wipe them off but no need to wash a dish at all.

I wash my discs like its a plate. Rag, warm soapy water, then rinse, and dry. I do this before I play a round. That way when I pull it out there's no question what the grip will be like, no sand, dust, grime, etc. keep em clean

I am very sensitive to poison ivy, so I wash my discs often. I typically just dump them into my tub, turn on the shower with the drain close, throw a few drops of dish soap in there, and let em sit for a bit. I'll scrub any that are especially dirty. I then unplug the drain and turn on the shower to rinse them. Once rinsed, I take em out one at a time and dry them off and throw them back into the bag.

I like to think the residual urushiol on my discs is helping me build up an immunity to it. It seems like everytime my disc goes off the fairway it is in poison ivy.

I like to think the residual urushiol on my discs is helping me build up an immunity to it. It seems like everytime my disc goes off the fairway it is in poison ivy.

Actually every time you come in contact with urushiol it increases your sensitivity to it. I know several geologist that did not react to it for years of contact then they became super sensitive to it and would break out in blisters. Avoid touching it as much as possible even if you are "immune" to it.

Urushiol is pretty nasty stuff, I don't know about poison ivy, but we have poison oak on the west coast. There was a large fire several years ago and some volunteers were helping clean up the mess. They were in an area of a lot of poison oak that had burned and the urushiol oil was in the air and ashes from the burning. They all got sever poison oak including some in their lungs and throats. Several of them ended up in the hospital.

I wash my discs every few months with a little dish soap and luke warm water, just scrub them with my hands.

I actually never got poison ivy after contact growing up. not until I was about 30 and ran a weedeater threw it spraying my legs. I got it pretty bad and now everytime I touch it i break out .

so science or no science i believe the contact post above from real life experience

Anecdotes aren't acceptable and I can't find a good scholarly source. HowStuffWorks claims "Most people don't have a reaction the first time they touch poison ivy, but develop an allergic reaction after repeated exposure. Everyone has a different sensitivity, and therefore a slightly different reaction, to poison ivy. Sensitivity usually decreases with age and with repeat exposures to the plant."

Wikipedia states "since the skin reaction is an allergic one, people may develop progressively stronger reactions after repeated exposures", though I don't like the use of the word "may" and the fact that it is uncited. Really I'd just like to read the science behind why it would increase with exposure.

if you ingest a bit of poison ivy leaf right as it blossoms it will build your immunity to it. just don't screw with the furry vines. at least that's what i've always been told and have practiced such. i'm not a doctor and doctors know much of **** anyway on subjects like that.

i ate poison ivy as a kid and i never get it.

Latest posts