• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Good speed 9 setup?

Snagged a DX Thunderbird and. Pro Valk tonite and played about 6 holes before it got dark. The Thunder seemed to be saying put it away for a bit and throw other. Stuff heh. I had forgotten how much that 125 DX Valk just drifts right. Barest of fade back at the very end of flight, but very pretty US disc. The Pro had some strong fade but there were trees and road OB that got a taste of several discs tonite and the ground is pretty frozen to boot.

I need to test them in an open field, but the red 150 DxLeopard has a similar fade to the Valk, but that 150 DX beat Eagle has NO fade. It just starts heading right and never comes back at all. Thinking the DX Leopard will be coming out and just need to see if the Star has a place in the bag or just throw Eagles for fairway shots. I do have a DX Teebird as well as a StarLite one I think, so those are always options too. Never have thrown either of them very much tho.

Impending snow tomorrow and Friday means this will probably end up being theoretical for awhile again, but maybe I will get lucky and get some more time out soon

Drivers:
125 DX Valkyrie (super right, same tiny fade as that Leopard)
171 Pro Valk (solid fade, throwing a lot to get it beaten a bit)
166 DX Thunderbird (remove, consider Teebird instead or just stick to the Eagles)

Fairways:
150 DX Eagle (just goes right, no fade back, probably bagging this over DX Leopard)
168 DX Eagle
149 Star Eagle
157 X Out Champ Eagle L
150 12X Champ Eagle X
149 DX Leopard (very drifts, tiny fade at end)
150 Star Leopard (beat)

Mids:
168 Big Z Buzzz
174 X Buzzz (always a workhorse, love X plastic)
175 Z FLX Buzzz SS
165/175 ZBuzzz
170 Ti Buzzz
1 175 Opto Pure (Super straight, loved it every time I used it, except the once I didn't pay attention and thought I was throwing my ESP Zone heh, that didn't fade like I expected at all heh)
180 DX Condor
ESP Meteor (had one great shot around the tree,need to do direct comparison to Buzzz SS)

Putters:
2 170 Pro D Zone. (Putters. Whee. Threw ok, just out of practice)

Utility:
1 170 ESP Zone (some nice turns for me today)
150 DX Firebird
171 Star Firebird

Felt great just. Pulling extra hard over expectation. Guy at the store had mentioned if it was really OS might disc back down a notch to a Teebird. Apparently he is on the Firebird, Teebird Valk plan himself heh. I'm just really out of practice and the cold sucking away distance doesn't help me any :)

Felt great just. Pulling extra hard over expectation. Guy at the store had mentioned if it was really OS might disc back down a notch to a Teebird. Apparently he is on the Firebird, Teebird Valk plan himself heh. I'm just really out of practice and the cold sucking away distance doesn't help me any :)

Yeah DX Thunderbirds feel amazing, but they start out very OS, moreso than premium plastic Thunderbirds or even some DX Firebirds.

echo the OLF/OLS suggestions. OLFs are more versatile than Thunderbirds; same sentiment when comparing the OLS to Valks. as others have said...since you already throw firebirds (and like eagles), having these are great for developing consistency.

Last edited:
Valk and PD makes a good combo. PD is a speed 10. Nice stable compliment to the Valk.
I think the Leopard - Eagle is where it's at though. Firebird is more utility for me. Some are insanely OS and others are slightly more than a PD. Still I wouldn't play without one in the bag.

I do have a PPD back in Louisville but couldn't tell you what weight it is offhand. The OLF and OLS are possibilities, but I rarely see any Millenium anywhere. Probably some at The Nati, but I would probably be more likely to check out some more Trilogy stuff. I have a few Lat discs and really did love my Truth as well, but never threw anything beyond a mid from any of them except for a River. Pretty sure I have 1 GL and 2 Recycled, interesting looking blurples :)

The way the Valks were flying tonite, I think they will safely keep a spot in the bag. Sounds like the Thunderbird just needs a bunch of extra throws to wear off some of that initial super OS. If the Thunderbird calms down, I may try it out in GStar too. Provided it is separating itself well from the Eagles that is. Eagles may end up ruling the roost (or eyrie I suppose) for all my fairway shots. Bookend them w a bit more length w the Valk and Firebird and see what shakes out in the middle

I'm gonna agree with most and say PD or Thunderbird. If you don't mind softer plastic pick up a Gstar Thunderbird in the 166-170 range. Sounds like that's a good weight for your power range and it will be much straighter than the DX until it gets beat in.

ive found for me, the three good molds that cover everything and have the same plastic are star firebirds, s-line pd's, and s-line td's. those three molds cover every line from a massive skip hyzer, to a high turnover anny. usually i will carry 1 FAF firebird, 2-3 pd's, and 1 td.

Last edited:
Pd, pd and pd is the dylan, dylan and dylan of speed 9 setups.

However, if you are enjoying the lighter, less stable side of things, the qolf and molf are good pairings too.

Don't have much input on your original post, sorry.

Last edited:
However, if you are enjoying the lighter, less stable side of things

I know I am. Been loving my Champion Glow Valkyrie and have a Star on the way. Big distance, great control and I don't have to put a ton of effort into it.

If you like FBs, then look at Thunderbirds, Orion LFs, and PDs - they all share that same Firebird wing/rim and the shared feel is nice. But I am a sucker for using discs that share mold parts.

If you want to take it further, the Orion LS shares the same top piece (as does the Sidewinder I'm told) so you can really keep it in the family and add a straight/US disc to the speed 9 lineup.

For my part, I throw FB, PD, QOLF, SOLS - the first three share the same wing, the last two share the same top (so do the Wraith and Starfire, btw).

Good post. Keeping it in the FB family would be a solid way to go. I'm personally a big PD fan.

Was I drunk or did I see that the Viking got beefed up recently? I always liked the Viking as a "stay fresh" Valk type of driver. A Viking-X (if that exists), old Viking (Pre Flight#s) and a Valk or two could be a solid way to go too.

OP, since I'm seeing a lot of DX and lightweight discs in your arsenal I'd think about just DX Firebirds, Eagles and Valks in various stages of wear. That would be a great trio for keeping it simple, stupid and beat DX FBs and Eagle-Xs are magical. :)

Be careful if you start dabbling in Trilogy for this. So many effortless gliding drivers by those folks you'll get addicted quickly. ;)

PD in c-line for stable
PD in P-line for bombs on a rope
CD2 in g-line for understable
FAF Firechicken

Boosh!

The softer blend of PPD is my favorite disc. Just crushes and still holds the line. 400' with very little lateral movement. How can it get any better?

Besides a low end of the OS spectrum champ FB, I bag a new and well beat champ Roadrunner. New, both started around Thunderbird stable and the one that is beat can thrown straight or bent both ways more than any other mold I've thrown in speed 9.

Seriously almost two discs in one which is why I'm beating in the new RR (also very functional as is) to eventually replace the beat, assuming the beat one will one day become flippy.

Look for heavier stuff. They fly different. Fight the cincy wind too. I have a champ thunderbird that woul fit your needs up for sale