• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

good spike roller disc?

disc gopher

Birdie Member
Recently, i learned how to throw spike rollers, and have only used a brand new R-pro roc for it and have tried a few other midranges, namely buzzzs', stingrays (failed miserably due to its understability) rhynos (worked decently, but not nearly as well as the roc) and a couple other things i had lying around. it seems to me that the more stable midranges work best, but what works for you? any suggestions for what might work for me...

as in, basically an extreme anhyzer where you release it over your head, and when it lands, it rolls. "spike roller" is just what i call it. i'm sure other people call it something different

That's a backhand roller. I use a beat first run destroyer, but any disc will work as long as you throw it appropriately. Do you land it quickly or air it out? (does it hit the ground 50ft out or 250ft out?) I would try an understable to stable driver and see how that works.

Like he said, it depends on how far out you're throwin em. I have a friend who likes to use an xcaliber for this shot, and he putts em on the ground 50 feet out. I like to air it out somewhat, and i switch between understable drivers to accomplish it. Stratus is good for throwing high and left and watching it flip completely and come down on its edge rolling. Avenger SS does the same thing but faster, and it requires more anhyzer and snap. I do like a heavier champ monarch thats been beat for this shot as well. The stiffer champion plastic seems to help it retain speed after hitting. If i throw it correctly it will fly for about 250' then land and roll out to around 450'.

The farther out you let it hit the ground, the more understable you want the disc, otherwise it will try to flip back flat. I throw a Flick for a close backhand shot, if I want a sky roller (which is what it's called, not a spike roller), then I throw a wildcat or pro destroyer.

The reason it's not called a spike roller is due to the use of spike hyzer. Spike hyzer is, well, a hyzer, that is really really high. The complete opposite direction of a sky roller.

Sounds like a sky roller. I used to throw it over the big pine on #17 at Seneca (along with several other locals) with decent results. The tree grew, can't clear it any more.

thanks to all for the advice. mine land farther out. probably around 175-250' range. i'll try working with the discs you've all said since i have most of them. the only distance drivers i've tried to use for this shot were a champ destroyer and an esp surge. the midranges just seemed more forgiving on the landing because with the thin-edged drivers the shots were much more prone to hit the ground and immediately take a harsh cut the the left or right.

There's definitely an art to getting rollers to land on the correct plane and a good way to work on this is to throw them lower and let them hit the ground earlier until you get good results and then work your way out.

I do this with a beat to hell super lite r-pro boss.... airs out and then rolls well

My pal throws a beat champ sidewinder 174 for those, lands about 200 feet out and gets to around 450-500.

But if the grass is thick or wet fuhgettabowdit

I throw a JK 5x Champ Valk for my rollers - but I guess mainly cuz I like the way it rolls better than the way it flies (compared to my Star Valk) :D

I also roll with my 5x Champ Valk. Mine is beat up and more understable than a new valk, perfect for what I like in a roller disc.

Latest posts