• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Got a couple Z Nukes today, just as i suspected...

I think the Katana takes some time to get right.... I haven't tried the Nuke yet but I'm guessing it's similar....no?

At least for me and my power, angle of release, and whatnot, the production run Star Katana and Z Nuke have about the same HSS but the Katana has a tad less LSS, meaning that it will hold a right turn longer if that is what I am attempting, but it will not fight back if I turned it too much.

I actually like(d) the Star Katana but I am thinking of dropping it and just carrying two Z Nukes, a pink and yellow. The pink has perfect stability for open long distance shots and the yellow is a tick less stable, making it better suited for incredible distance with a right finish.

I do want to point something out about form and technique. While I have been dialing in the Z Nuke, I have noticed that my other discs are flying differently than they were three weeks ago. I can no longer throw my Wraiths with any consistency or accuracy, which I had just rediscovered and flew absolutely perfectly for me the last three months, but I am getting tremendous distance with my TeeBirds. In fact, the TeeBirds are flying now how my Wraiths were flying before I got the Z Nukes.

I've been loving the Echo Star Katana.... domey as all get out but it goes a mile for me... well "mile" is relative but I've been able to throw it real low and just watch it glide out forever...

I didn't like the farting lemon Katana that much...

I have an Armageddon Nuke but I can't get myself to throw it as I kinda paid a mint for it.
What's the best Nuke out there? is it the memorial ones, 1st runs...?

I've been loving the Echo Star Katana.... domey as all get out but it goes a mile for me... well "mile" is relative but I've been able to throw it real low and just watch it glide out forever...

I didn't like the farting lemon Katana that much...

I have an Armageddon Nuke but I can't get myself to throw it as I kinda paid a mint for it.
What's the best Nuke out there? is it the memorial ones, 1st runs...?

Those E* Katanas sound tasty...IMO faster discs don't glide much without having a dome, and the more the better. I would definitely recommend the Z version of the Nuke because the ESPs have the durability of X plastic at best. My Z has already taken quite a hard hit at point blank range and seems no worse for wear. The exact same hit taco-ed my FR ESP.

From my experience with it, it seems the Z Nuke is just as understable as the ESPs. Which could be good or bad depending on how you look at it. I was hoping for something slightly more stable, but it certainly isn't.

Both are a little too flippy for my liking.

From my experience with it, it seems the Z Nuke is just as understable as the ESPs. Which could be good or bad depending on how you look at it. I was hoping for something slightly more stable, but it certainly isn't.

Both are a little too flippy for my liking.

Yeah, I'm going to test the Nuke more because its fun to throw, but honestly I can't see it replacing my Destroyers. They start out much more stable and predictable, and break into great understable distance drivers. I can get an extra 10-20' with the Nuke in some situations, but that's hardly a good enough reason to switch from something more versatile like the Destroyer.

I play at 6500 ft of elevation so my experience may be a bit different than most, but the Z nuke is a bomber. It is definietly more overstable than the ESP I have, and with a lot of glide. My experience with the ESP is it is a bit touchy. I have to throw the ESP with a Hyzer angle and let it flip up, otherwise I have turned it over many times. My experience with the Z nuke is that it is overstable enough to throw flat and not turn over. I threw the longest drive of my career last night with the Z Nuke with a flex shot. The flex shot with the Z is unreal!

I play at 6500 ft of elevation so my experience may be a bit different than most, but the Z nuke is a bomber. It is definietly more overstable than the ESP I have, and with a lot of glide. My experience with the ESP is it is a bit touchy. I have to throw the ESP with a Hyzer angle and let it flip up, otherwise I have turned it over many times. My experience with the Z nuke is that it is overstable enough to throw flat and not turn over. I threw the longest drive of my career last night with the Z Nuke with a flex shot. The flex shot with the Z is unreal!

mmm.. this is exactly what I wanted to hear, because that's precisely my issue with the ESP Nuke too. I'm definitely going to have to switch to a Z. :)

mmm.. this is exactly what I wanted to hear, because that's precisely my issue with the ESP Nuke too. I'm definitely going to have to switch to a Z. :)

You're not at 6500' which makes discs much more overstable...At sea level my Z Nuke wasn't any more stable than the ESPs...In fact, my FR ESPs were more stable than my Z.

I never threw the ESP Nuke because of durability issues, but I just tested out a couple of blue 171 Z Nukes. They are quite tastey. It has a consistent turn to it like a beat-in Destroyer and a healthy fade. They were not outflying my Pro Katanas, but they were MUCH more consistent. I could practically land the Nukes on top of each other whereas the Katanas could be up to 100' apart, especially when throwing into a 5 mph head/cross wind. I threw a few forehands with them too and it's already my furthest flying forehand disc. The 1st run production Star Katanas were much more overstable than the Z Nukes I threw.

I am wondering how the Z Nuke would compare to a Star Wraith, in particular stability wise.

It's pretty similar. I haven't thrown it a ton yet, but so far I think it probably falls somewhere between a Champ Wraith and Star Wraith as far as stability.

Its flippier than most Wraiths.
At what kind of distance are you throwing the Nuke? I can get some turn out of my 174 Star Wraith but I can't get it to turn and burn, Pro Katana is too understable. Just trying to figure out if the Z Nuke will work to get me some extra distance

I can get my Echo Star Wraith at 90% power and a slight hzyer the same distance as a 75-80% flat throw with the Z Nuke (400 feet). If I throw caution to the wind, there is no way my E Star Wraith can match the Z Nuke. However, when concentrating on accuracy, the distance can be comparable. Yet it requires completely different lines. I need to put the slightest hyzer on my E Star Wraith to keep it from flipping because once it goes over it does not come back because it flies its best (distance-wise) at about 10 feet from the ground. The Z Nuke works best for me when I give it about 15-20 feet of height, release it relatively flat but at 11 o'clock off the teepad (maybe a touch of anhyzer), and let it go from left to right back to left again.

I also have two different runs of regular Star Wraiths. One is a complete meathook and flies similar to a longer Predator and the other once it took a few hits flies similar to the E Star, maybe a tad more stable and a little less distance.

At what kind of distance are you throwing the Nuke? I can get some turn out of my 174 Star Wraith but I can't get it to turn and burn, Pro Katana is too understable. Just trying to figure out if the Z Nuke will work to get me some extra distance

400-450'. It has a bit more movement on a 400' shot than I'd like though. For example, hole #1 at my home course is 420' with the basket under a couple of oak trees so that you cannot throw a hyzer, but rather a straight shot with a minimal and forward fade. The Nuke flares pretty hard at the end for this shot, and it's hard to get to come back if turned accurately enough to place the shot. This is one of the reasons I've passed on all the wide rimmed discs so far and stick with Destroyers and PDs.

400-450'. It has a bit more movement on a 400' shot than I'd like though. For example, hole #1 at my home course is 420' with the basket under a couple of oak trees so that you cannot throw a hyzer, but rather a straight shot with a minimal and forward fade. The Nuke flares pretty hard at the end for this shot, and it's hard to get to come back if turned accurately enough to place the shot. This is one of the reasons I've passed on all the wide rimmed discs so far and stick with Destroyers and PDs.

I have found a 1st run Boss throws perfect on that hole. I got an Atlanta Open ESP Nuke from Atl Scott and it is a lot more stable than the other Nuke's I have seen. On the couple of throws I have had with it, it throws more like a Boss. I haven't tried it on #1 at Cliff yet but I suspect it will fade short before it gets there. I really need to try a few more Nuke's because this one is a lot more stiff and stable than the other ESP's I have seen.

Too much disc for me

But I just noticed Marshall Street has $10 Z-Nukes this month. :thmbup:

If you were looking to pick one up you cant beat that deal.