• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Got shafted at a tourney, what would you do?

Yea, you should read the tourney handouts, it was probably on it. If you weren't given one, then that's a problem. It really isn't anyone else's responsiblity to know the course for you.

And regarding the pain killers, what exactly do you want to happen? If it's he said vs he said, the only way to enforce policy would be a drug test. That's a road no one wants to go down, and it could be used in malicious ways, ie break someone's rhythm.

I have seen someone tell a TD about a person who was distracting during a round. The TD asked the guy about it and the guy blew up at the TD at which point he was DQed, even though he won his division in an A-tier. It happens. Of course this guy has also been banned from playing tournaments in the state of Oregon. The PDGA isn't beyond trying to curb this kind of behavior.

The TD ran an awesome event, and he was unaware of any of this.

Thank you for clearing that up. Some people were getting a little off track.

Sounds like the guy was a total jerk. Definitely bring it to the TDs attention next time. As a TD, we don't need ignorant players ruining the sport either.

on the mando issue if the vote of the group is for re-throw i think the rules are on your side , or at least warrant a t.d. ruling

Or they could all face disqualification by agreeing to not play by the rules.
In a tournament I would not make that choice, however wellmeaning these guys were.

1. The TD should have gone over all OB and Mando's that are on the course during the players meeting, or put it in the rules packet/players pack.

2. Good job for not fighting, you are a grown up.

3. You don't have to give a warning about rules infractions (stepping on mini/footfault) but a kind warning can sometimes inform players who arent aware, and prevent future outbreaks. Every one should be playing by the same set of rules and if people are intentionally breaking them they should be stroked (score card, not physically)

shawn might want to make his profile private

381906_244405762286971_100001526478483_661700_1662007392_n.jpg

1. The TD should have gone over all OB and Mando's that are on the course during the players meeting, or put it in the rules packet/players pack.

This...

except the TD should have done both.

And regarding the pain killers, what exactly do you want to happen? If it's he said vs he said, the only way to enforce policy would be a drug test. That's a road no one wants to go down, and it could be used in malicious ways, ie break someone's rhythm.

That's a cop-out response. Let's give the guy the benefit of the doubt and say he has a perscription - why take them at the first tee publicly and then pass them out like candy? Take it on the way to the first tee, or in the car on the way to the tournament, literally anywhere else would be more appropriate.

It boils down to common sense. The guy was being a dick on purpose, taking drugs recreationally, and masking weak golf game with head games. Normal people who actually deal with pain strong enough that requires narcotics or opiates don't think it's "cool" that they have to take them.

If someone threatened to beat me at a tourny I would go to the TD with it.

on the mando issue if the vote of the group is for re-throw i think the rules are on your side , or at least warrant a t.d. ruling

Screw the group vote. Just take a provisional (finishing the hole from both shots) and ask the TD later.

This...

except the TD should have done both.

We never give a rules packet, but we also don't have any blind mandos. Any rules/exceptions are covered in the player meeting. If somebody didn't listen and missed something, it's their own fault and deserve to be penalized.

Sucks to hear you had such a bad experience, I was at the same tournament playing Int and had nothing but friendly people on my cards. You don't have to be "that guy" who complains about everything, but if there's someone on your card that's really messing with the way you're playing, do what you have to do.

I would have gone to the td about the threats. Did the pills happen before the 2 min warning?

Playing up is the worst suggested solution, douche bags are every where.

The TD? I'd pull out the phone and call 911. Then I'd press charges. WTH? What's the TD going to do?

The TD? I'd pull out the phone and call 911. Then I'd press charges. WTH? What's the TD going to do?

The TD makes the angry dudes day even worse. He reports to the PDGA and hopefully gets this guy kicked out of future events as well. It is possible.

On another note. A group cannot decide to just let you rethrow without a penalty. You could throw a provisional and play both out and ask the TD later. The only thing the group really does is second infractions liek the foot fault. If you were the only player who caught it he can still technically get away with it.

Now, as far as how this should work, and usually does work in ball golf. I once saw a player call a falling putt on himself that he made. He re threw his putt and made it still but knew that if it happened again there would have been penalty strokes.

Respect the game, respect the rules.