• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Gran Canyon back from the dead??

It closed in early 2006, so except for certain older and obsessive disc golfers mentioning it in threads about "greatest courses ever", the talk has pretty much died down. Every few years there are rumors, always unfounded, of its return.

Not that it is a big deal when it closed but I moved to St. Pete in May 2006 and was told by Greg Hosfeld some months after I moved here to go play that course before it got shut down. So I don't think it was early 2006. No big deal.

Mike Barnett from Sun King posted a flyer about it on FB and said there would be more info coming soon. If Barnett is involved it is the real deal.

Yep. a Mike Barnett, Sun King production. Heard about it at the Orlando Open (Mike was there). I believe he is designing the course layout as well rather than using the Hos-design, citing that much of the topography of the land has changed since the old Canyon course was open. I believe it will be an 18-hole layout instead of 27.

There will camping allowed onsite for the weekend. I never got to play that course, so I'm really looking forward to the chance!

That's mostly what the flyer says---18 holes, some of the original holes, some new. Such a special piece of property that it's bound to be a sweet 18.

Not that it is a big deal when it closed but I moved to St. Pete in May 2006 and was told by Greg Hosfeld some months after I moved here to go play that course before it got shut down. So I don't think it was early 2006. No big deal.

Later 2006? We were trying to figure this out. I played the tournament in 2006, and was thinking that was a last-chance thing. I didn't play in 2007, which I'm pretty sure I would have if it was still around. I could be wrong; certainly wouldn't be the first time.

It may have even been early 2007. Actually, I am pretty certain it was still open then. This is going to sound strange but I got a call from Greg Hosfeld to return a lost disc of mine and I remember watching the Fedlberg on Conan video on youtube around that exact same time, thinking that was the guy who had just called me and thinking that was cool (feldberg, Hosfeld...easy to confuse). Feldberg was on Conan in May 2007. So maybe I am really goofed up in my memory here but I am guessing it was still open around Late April, early to mid-May.

Also, there is a map of the course on the Tampa Bay disc sports club on facebook.

Could be. A brief search shows (1) No PDGA tournaments in January-February 2007---those being the traditional months, and (2) in November 2007, a petition for the county to buy the property and "save" or restore the course.

More importantly---is this a one-time deal, or a revival of this great course? Haven't been able to find out, and this could affect my Januaries for the rest of my life.

according to Hosfeld the course is not reopening, they have permission to run a couple of events however. drat.

Hey all...!

I'm just checking in to clarify a few things. The good news is that, yes, there will be 2 tournaments (am & pro) at the property formerly known as the Gran Canyon in January 2013! As you can imagine, we are very happy to announce this as the GC was an incredibly popular course for some very obvious reasons. In fact, if you haven't seen the property before, here are some videos on YouTube from the Ultimate Disc Golf Show showcasing the final event held at the property in 2006.

There is some information that folks should know up front. First is that it has taken me nearly 4 years to get the owner of the property to let me run these two events even after finding out that we both originally grew up in same area of the Chicago suburbs, so much for home field advantage! Next is that the property has changed dramatically with some areas overgrown, some areas cleared and open and other areas either holding water or have sustained water and wind erosion over the past few years. This is why we have chosen to use a modified 18-hole layout that features as much of the old course as possible, but also uses some areas that haven't been used since some of the early tournaments or not at all. We will be using tee times with all tournament attendees playing (1) round each day and a total of (150) players per weekend. In addition, this time around, we will offer limited camping spots including a handful of spots for campers/rvs, as we are unsure if we will be able to get back to the property anytime soon and we hope we can maximize the memories and good times.

As one would expect, there will be greens fees and fees to camp and park (as we will be limited in parking spaces and want to encourage car pooling). The prices will be extremely affordable and fair but this project will take some significant resources and we are going to try to offset as much of those fees (property rental, permits, porta potties, course prep, clean up, etc.) as possible. The good news is that in addition to the super good time and a chance to be on the nearly sacred property again, we hope to offer attendees some cool activities such as a long drive competition, extreme ctps and a cash raffle drawing sponsored by the Innova CFR program. Ams will more than likely compete in the increasingly more and more popular trophy only format tournament featuring a huge players pack (4-5 discs plus extras) and nice big trophy prizes (baskets, bags, etc.) for the top few players in each division. The pros will have a minimum of $500 of added cash to the Open divisions, but there is a good chance we will end up adding additional cash as sponsors come on board. We are also considering a "Final 6" extreme mountain golf for our top card of Pros after the tourney which will feature some extra ca$h as well. Both weekends are scheduled to be PDGA B-Tier events.

We have already been swamped with calls and emails for those wanting to help get the course ready. We will be running (2) work days in December in which volunteers will be able to come out and help prep the property for the upcoming events while also getting a sneak peak of the course. Also, we will be feeding the volunteers and giving them a thank you gift and they wil also become eligible for some awesome prizes. This info will become available on the event website in the next few days.

We want everyone to use www.ThrowDownTheMountain.com for updated info and online volunteer and registration links. As of now, the page forwards to the DGU site, but in the coming days it will forward to the Tour del Sol website where more info will be come available almost daily until registration opens on 11/16 @ 12 noon. You can register online or in store and no spots will be saved. As you can imagine, we expect this event to fill and fill fast. Here's your chance to play on this epic property, don't miss out!

Thanks,
Mike Barnett

Thanks for the post. Here in S.C. we've been going nuts speculating about details, trying to guess what was most likely.

And a huge thanks for making this possible. And to everyone down there who'll be doing course work for a temporary course.

I've scheduled my knee surgery as early as possible in hopes of being rehabbed and able to play by January. But I scheduled it for November 16, of all dates. Now I need to find a good proxy to get me registered, or hope it doesn't fill that day.

I don't want anyone out there to mistake my enthusiasm for encouragement to register quickly for this tournament. Do you really believe a course with virtually no O.B. is worth it? Or the tall tales of elevation changes in Florida, of all places?

So don't act hastily. Take a few days to decide if you really want to sign up for this. Once you see my name on the registration list, you can take it as my blessing and approval for you to enter the tournament, too.

Are we there yet?

Any idea on what type of course the new 18 hole layout will be? Will it be a 2 1/2 hour per round type of course or a 4 hour bring a snickers bar type of course. I know we are still 56 days out from the "Gran" opening but inquiring minds want to know.

My wish for this course is:
That the guy who owns the property realizes how many people want to play there and opens it back up. The property owner wanted to make money off the land but then the housing market collapsed, and now it just sits there. If he charges a $20 greens fee to players 365 days a year he could sure make a lot more money then what he is doing with the land now.

One issue the property owner would have with charging players to play is the liability. His homeowners liability probably would not cover injuries if he is charging money to play. It may if he was only accepting donations but I wouldn't take the chance. Even with a bullet proof waiver, I'm not sure how well that would stand up in court if someone fell off a cliff and was serioiusly injured.