• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Gran Canyon Lawsuit

The devil, as they say, is in the details.

Sounds like if you have health insurance and you're injured at an event you need to lie if you want a chance of being even partially reimbursed. :thmbdown:

Not quite.

Liability insurance protects the party who may be liable, not the injured party. So it would likely be secondary to a liability policy that McCease, etc., has, but not secondary to the player's health insurance policy.

When you have a health insurance claim, if someone else caused your injury, the health insurance company has the right to proceed against their liability insurance.

To be fair, I don't know the appropriate pathway for a lawsuit like this. I would assume you start out by working with the insurer first, which is what happens in a car accident.

The appropriate pathway is to put an ice pack on your ankle and then.....that's it. Don't waste everyone's time with nonsense.

Weird- the PDGA insurance policy should have had you covered given that it functions as it does now.

Most insurance policies have medical payments coverage which applies regardless of who is at fault. Usually a much lower limit than the liability limit but it would be strange if the pdga policy didn't have this.

I've been hit multiple times while playing, and in one case I was standing on the edge of a teepad and was next to tee when it happened, during tournament play (idk if he got stroked by his card for that though)

I'm not following.. assuming they were throwing from a different teepad, why would they be stroked for hitting you?

from Gregg Hosfeld - original Canyon course designer and OG Florida disc god

"A lawsuit has been filed that has the entire disc golf community in a rage.
I have an affiliation with both sides of this.
I designed the OG version of the course in question. And, although I've played no real part in the last decade, (not by choice) it is still a big part of me. NO ONE understands how special that place is more than me. Despite having to watch from the sidelines, the purchase of the property by 'McCease' is the best thing to happen to Florida disc golf since the Canyon's inception.
(OK... the FFT was pretty darn good)
Conversely, I've also been involved with the plaintiff's project. Last week, I worked a few 12+ hour days on the upcoming project; believing that it will give newer players a bit of insight into how DG got where it is now.
I'm not a spokesperson for anyone other than my company. But, I will say that TT has always treated me with a great deal of respect and is allowing me to work on highlighting Florida's disc sports history, much of which is rapidly falling into obscurity.
I can only say that until he can legally make an official statement, the bile will likely continue to run fast and deep.
...Whenever I invest myself fully into something, just when it is about to hit full stride, life finds a way to rip it from my grasp.
Along with Brad Augsberger, and many other eager volunteers, we built the OG Gran Canyon course, which became a course that (nearly) every top-level touring pro listed in their to 3 to 5 courses in the world. (In that era).
The property sold and I had to pull out all of the equipment. It was gut-wrenching.
...I'm not privy to ALL of the info, but my understanding of it isn't what nearly everyone thinks.
Out of respect for everyone involved, I really can't say more on the subject, other than these things truly make me question why I continually put myself out there... time and time again... only to get *****~slapped by circumstances completely out of my control.
Plenty of people will be happy to jump onto the "I told ya so" bandwagon.
I was also told that 'wasting time' on developing the canyon course, for zero $$, was also a bad idea. For my wallet, yes. But look at the enjoyment it has created over the years, with or without my continued involvement.
TT has also been told that he should give up on the Florida Disc Golf Hall of Fame Museum because it won't be a money maker. But, it's a passion project that he's been keen to see through... for the love of not just disc golf, but all disc sports.
I fully realize that some of you are scoffing~up~blood at this statement. I can also tell you that some of the people pointing fingers aren't exactly doing so from a place of lily-white piety.
The politics of Frisbee, particularly in Florida, has always gotten low and petty.
I'm absolutely heartbroken on so many fronts right now."

This was bound to happen. As soon as big money started taking over our sport, the ridiculous lawsuits started happening.

This was bound to happen. As soon as big money started taking over our sport, the ridiculous lawsuits started happening.

It started long before there was a 6 digit pdga number back in the golden era when there were no self help bros who throw 300 feet making high production youtube videos to sell shirts.

Buddy of mine knocked someone's eyeball out on a poorly designed public course. Imagine a 450 foot hole with thick vegetation lining both sides of the fairway obstructing your view of anyone coming down the running trail where less than 100 feet from the tee it crosses the fairway. He throws, just as the person comes out from the woods running with their headphones on and boom.

He got sued, the club got sued, innova got sued for the disc he threw, even the disc golf store not associated with the the course or club got sued.

Not sure what ever came of it but I do know there was much shenanigans with many court appearances necessary to get it resolved.

from Gregg Hosfeld - original Canyon course designer and OG Florida disc god

"A lawsuit has been filed that has the entire disc golf community in a rage.
I have an affiliation with both sides of this.
I designed the OG version of the course in question. And, although I've played no real part in the last decade, (not by choice) it is still a big part of me. NO ONE understands how special that place is more than me. Despite having to watch from the sidelines, the purchase of the property by 'McCease' is the best thing to happen to Florida disc golf since the Canyon's inception.
(OK... the FFT was pretty darn good)
Conversely, I've also been involved with the plaintiff's project. Last week, I worked a few 12+ hour days on the upcoming project; believing that it will give newer players a bit of insight into how DG got where it is now.
I'm not a spokesperson for anyone other than my company. But, I will say that TT has always treated me with a great deal of respect and is allowing me to work on highlighting Florida's disc sports history, much of which is rapidly falling into obscurity.
I can only say that until he can legally make an official statement, the bile will likely continue to run fast and deep.
...Whenever I invest myself fully into something, just when it is about to hit full stride, life finds a way to rip it from my grasp.
Along with Brad Augsberger, and many other eager volunteers, we built the OG Gran Canyon course, which became a course that (nearly) every top-level touring pro listed in their to 3 to 5 courses in the world. (In that era).
The property sold and I had to pull out all of the equipment. It was gut-wrenching.
...I'm not privy to ALL of the info, but my understanding of it isn't what nearly everyone thinks.
Out of respect for everyone involved, I really can't say more on the subject, other than these things truly make me question why I continually put myself out there... time and time again... only to get *****~slapped by circumstances completely out of my control.
Plenty of people will be happy to jump onto the "I told ya so" bandwagon.
I was also told that 'wasting time' on developing the canyon course, for zero $$, was also a bad idea. For my wallet, yes. But look at the enjoyment it has created over the years, with or without my continued involvement.
TT has also been told that he should give up on the Florida Disc Golf Hall of Fame Museum because it won't be a money maker. But, it's a passion project that he's been keen to see through... for the love of not just disc golf, but all disc sports.
I fully realize that some of you are scoffing~up~blood at this statement. I can also tell you that some of the people pointing fingers aren't exactly doing so from a place of lily-white piety.
The politics of Frisbee, particularly in Florida, has always gotten low and petty.
I'm absolutely heartbroken on so many fronts right now."

This is a weird post.

This is a weird post.

The weirdest part may be "...other than these things truly make me question why I continually put myself out there... time and time again... only to get *****~slapped by circumstances completely out of my control...", because in making that public post, he's doing it again.

The weirdest part may be "...other than these things truly make me question why I continually put myself out there... time and time again... only to get *****~slapped by circumstances completely out of my control...", because in making that public post, he's doing it again.

Some people can't help themselves.

Disc Golf needs something like Bohemian Grove, where they invite everyone and secretly vote the worst person off the island. They could stone him or her to death with discs at end the event.