• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Great pan-find...

Oklahyzer

Double Eagle Member
I've done a fair amount of vat dying single colors, but decided after seeing everyone's awesome dye jobs here that I wanted to try some marbling. First attempt with shaving cream came out great - not exactly what I was shooting for, but a lot better than I thought it would be. Anyway, the pie plates, 9" round cake pans, and assorted other pans didn't really fit the discs very well and the huge enamel stock pot that I've used for vat dying would have wasted a lot of shaving cream, so I went shopping.

Found this great aluminum pan for cheap ($8) at Walmart and it's perfect for discs. 10" x 2" deep so there's room to move a little. I used it for a vat dye this weekend as well and it works with about 1-1/2 quarts of dye + disc, but splashing is a risk if you aren't careful. According to their website, they do make a 3" pan but I didn't see that at Walmart. Steel would be a little better to dissipate heat on the stove, but I use a smaller pan filled halfway with water beneath the dye pot to make a sort-of double boiler. This aluminum one worked great and I think I'll hunt down that 3" version as well. Just a friendly fyi. :thmbup:

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/pr...8EBA4&fid=58B54712-475A-BAC0-54A5629FFD1E8974

And here's the 3": http://www.wilton.com/store/site/pr...8854E&fid=5A88940A-475A-BAC0-5E3849DF1A36A6C9

seriously wal mart? I'm gonna let ya' in on a little secret, Ray. Wal-Mart sucks. They def def definately suck. Go to a 2nd hand store and get a heavier one with sloped sides for 2-3$. And for marbling use an old plate, you're gonna waste so much shaving cream in that Pie tin. Now I gotta go watch Wapner.

Last edited:
Well for a guy that does such fantastic art, you're kind of an ass, Ray! Let me let you in on a little secret...you can do whatever you want with whatever you want. Buy that pan from Mary at the swap meet or fill your ultimate disc with shaving cream. wtf was this all about?

Well for a guy that does such fantastic art, you're kind of an ass, Ray! Let me let you in on a little secret...you can do whatever you want with whatever you want. Buy that pan from Mary at the swap meet or fill your ultimate disc with shaving cream. wtf was this all about?

Calling DH an ass is one of the funniest things I've seen on here :popcorn: second only by you calling each other "Ray"...

He was trying to save you a couple bucks and get a higher quality pan in your arsenal. If walMart is the level of quality you're willing to work with in a permanent medium(dyeing), by all means, have at it, and DH nor anyone else will try to stop you again.

I bought my clear condiment bottles for spin dyes and marbling from WalMart, but that's all, and if I could've found better ones somewhere else I would have bought them instead.

Sorry, wasn't trying to be an ass. I was trying to be funny and that never works very well :D. That first bit is a quote from "Rainman", i swapped WalMart for K-Mart, I was hoping the Wapner reference would be a dead give away.

But you can get better quality pans for dyeing cheaper at a second hand store. Thicker gauge will hold your heat better and sloped sides will make it easier to get the disc in and out of the pan.

I think the main point is you don't really have to spend the cash to get the right equipment. I have not bought a single thing for dyeing yet. I use an old stock pot I wasn't using anymore for my dye pot, and for marbling I have used the same Styrofoam plate and a diffuser bottle from perm solution I got from my wife's work. My light table, an ottoman with the top replaced by a lid for a clear storage container and a goose neck lamp propped in the middle for a source. Bottom line is; 1. The less money you spend on equipment the more you can spend on discs. 2. Listen to those that know what they're doing, have you seen Dan Howard's stuff?! Incredible.

Sorry, wasn't trying to be an ass. I was trying to be funny and that never works very well :D. That first bit is a quote from "Rainman", i swapped WalMart for K-Mart, I was hoping the Wapner reference would be a dead give away.

But you can get better quality pans for dyeing cheaper at a second hand store. Thicker gauge will hold your heat better and sloped sides will make it easier to get the disc in and out of the pan.

I'm glad you explained that, 'cuz you left me behind with that one.:)

A thousand pardons...I'm probably like the only person in the world who hasn't seen Rainman! :)

I'm all about cheap and recycling, but haven't been able to come up with anything - including at thrift and dollar stores - so when I saw that pan at Walmart, it was a Eureka moment, and it was cheap. Other than bulk, the large stock pot I was using was ok, but it also has a shelved/convex bottom, and just took too much liquid to cover the disc. I actually prefer straight sides instead of sloped for dipping, but I usually use a mechanic's hook instead of tape handles, etc. If I get into masking, I'm sure that'll change. For now, solids and marbles are workin' for me. Other than a dozen mason jars and plastic lids for about $15, the only money I've spent on dyeing is for the dye. I'm good with an $8 pan. Not much shaving cream needed in it...I figure I used about 1/5th of the can of Barbasol, maybe less. I don't like wasting things if they don't have to be wasted, but at 99 cents a can, I won't sweat it if I use a little more than necessary.

Incidentally, I'm not a Walmart fan at all, and I just might be more aware of some of the inner evils than most people, including their legal battles over selling gasoline and some food products, as well as contracts with local/regional craftsmen. I'm also aware of a number of the good things about them and things they've done. There's a balance...sorta. The only thing that really bothers me is that they ever got into the grocery market. Kinda can't forgive them for that one - it's arguably had the most impact than any other aspect of their product line. Well, and the pharmacy, too, but they've actually done some very good things for people in that area. Bottom line for me was that I had no luck coming up with something suitable and then bam, there it was in the evil empire's kitchen aisle. I'm ok with that.

Going to netflix Rainman now....

my pan cost me $4 at goodwill :(

I bought a dozen mason jars at wal-mart for 6 bucks though (none of my local stores had anything close, and I wanted wide mouth jars instead of plastic bottles etc.)