• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Greetings! Few years but Newbie!

jjlevasseur

I started playing a few years ago and really did not get into the game until recently. I just taught myself, with the help of YouTube, how to throw correctly and now I am really enjoying every course I play. I started with a few Lightning Discs, not so popular now, D-1, #1 Hyzer, #2 Slice Bearcat, Upshot and Rubber putter. Now I really like the Innova, Gateways and Vibram. My current problem disc is my Star Destroyer, heavy hyzer, great when needed but can't get the distance out of it. I have played courses in VA, ME and now OK with many future courses in KY, IN and possibly OH. I live just south of Louisville Kentucky and just got settled in there. I have met some really good people out on the course and love the attitude of the players. We are all constantly learning and tweaking the technique. The trouble I have is wanting to throw bombs and winding up only around 200-300 ft. I know that I need to get midranges and fairway drivers flying good before I hit the distance drivers now and I'm sure this will help my game. Trying to find locals that want to group up and have a friendly match. I will be in the OKC area off and on when I'm not home in KY. Really love this game and want to be able to enter in tourneys in the near future. Looking forward to meeting the people that love this game and love this site that has a wealth of information for finding the good courses to play!
Jeffrey L.

Welcome from another Jeffrey! :hfive:

You've got some really nice courses near you to enjoy, from Iroqouis to Charlie Vettiner, and Seviren Lang across the river. And a good club in that area (AdamH on here hosts some cool tourneys!). In fact, within a 2 hour drive, you've got some real nice dg options!

If you ever get up here towards Cincinnati, obviously there'll be a lot of great courses and a pretty active dg scene, too! :)

I'm not a great technique person for tips, other than to say keep flinging plastic as much as you can, and as long as you're keeping it fun, you'll see distance and consistency improve from season to season.

What's up man.

The technique section here will be great help if you post videos of yourself throwing, and doing a bunch of reading on some of the discgolfreview.com/forums threads will make your head hurt from disc knowledge. If you want a hand finding some of those threads I'm talking about I'm sure others (as well as myself) would happily link you to them. Keep throwing and welcome!

Missed my edit window sorry for the double.

There's plenty of great info on discgolfreview.com as well, not just in the forums.

Thanks

Lots of great info guys. Thank you! Im toning down my throw and sticking to mid-range until i can get it out 250+ consistantly, should set me up for drivers in the future. Im really working my Gateway $$$ putter and its working from 50' and shorter, using my Roc for farther or windy times. Thanks again and looking forward to getting out there and hitting the chains! :)

Don't forget to head down to Bowling green, KY as well. They host one of the best and biggest amateur tournaments around, Bowling Green Amateur Championships. They have some great courses down there. Lexington has some good ones too. You certainly moved to a hotbed of DG, within a couple hours drive, you have a large collection of great courses.

Latest posts