• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Grip Bag or Golf Mahal

TOURNEYPLAYER

*Reform School Scholar*
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Since there were 4 pages of discussion on this in the marketplace lets get some opinions here. It appears that many people feel strongly for one reason or another so lets hear it. If you have another bag that trumps both then lets hear about it too.

I for one own a Dual Pack and am very satisfied with it except for how it hangs on my back. I think a Grip bag would be perfect and holds more discs than i truly need. i am not a fan of the mahal simply because I think it is ugly and overkill. unless you really throw 30+ discs what is the point.

I have a Mahal. I keep the two side pockets zipped down most of the time. Like that it is not big, bulky or ugly. But for trips, extra, gear or beer I have all the space I'll ever need. I've never seen a Grip in person, but I love my Mahal. The yoke system is so damn comfortable I have even played a speed round with the bag and 16 discs on my back. I highly recommend the Mahal.

I also wouldn't fully trust Grip after all the problems and issues I've heard about. But maybe that's just me.

You've already answered your own question. They're not an apples to apples comparison. You buy the mahal if you want to carry 30+ discs, you buy the Grip if you want to very economically carry 18-24 discs. There is no reason to buy the mahal if you don't carry more than 30 discs, unless you're hauling a LOT of beer with you.

great feedback. i think everyone has opinions. I want to hear them. i have tried the mahal on and it is comfortable but just not for me.

At this stage in the game, the Grip bag speaks for itself. Justin's business practices aside, it's a phenomenal bag. He screwed up in the beginning but it's coming around, and I say this as someone still using a 1st Run bag who hasn't made a warranty claim yet.

For the record, I swear he stole the design off a Timbuk2 bag. I have a backpack that's it's clone just without a defined top and bottom space. It's actually the best backpack i've ever had. Absolutely love it. That's probably why I enjoy my Grip bag so much.

The Mahal needs to be fitted specifically for the person wearing it. If you didn't spend the 30 minutes or so, and have the right size yoke in the bag, then it wasn't correct. It makes a difference.

But if you don't like its looks, buy the Grip.

Wasn't Revo supposed to be coming out with a new backpack style? Whatever happened to that?

I love my Grip. I just dont need to carry that much $hit, so I dont need a mahal. That being said, if this second run falls apart I will say F Grip and go back to my rev bag

The Mahal needs to be fitted specifically for the person wearing it. If you didn't spend the 30 minutes or so, and have the right size yoke in the bag, then it wasn't correct. It makes a difference.

But if you don't like its looks, buy the Grip.

Wasn't Revo supposed to be coming out with a new backpack style? Whatever happened to that?

I thought they were. but who knows. things get leaked then things change. maybe they saw the fiasco Justin dealt with the first time around and wanted to make sure they didnt jump the gun. Im glad that he got it straightened out because I think the design is sweet.

I Have a Grip and had a Revo Dualpack. So far I really like the Grip bag a lot. My main reason for getting it was to help with back problems and it has done that job very well. Sits up high and tight to my back and it feels lite as a feather. I can fit 18 discs in the main compartment and 3 in the putter pocket. Bummer is, I use to carry 22 (not including my putters) in my Voodoo bag. So I had to make some cuts in the number of discs I carry, but even at 18. It's a tight fit and I have to pull a few discs out to get to the ones on the side. The compartment opening could have been a bit bigger, but it's no were near as bad as the dualpack was. Quality seems top notch, but time will tell. The other odd thing I noticed, but it's a very minor issue. I think the bag is not wide enough by just a bit, because when loaded I can feel the discs agaist my back. Although padded I can still feel them, but not enough to be a problem. It just cuts down on the comfort and makes the padding a mute point.
This bag it soooo much of a better design than the Dualpack that it's not even close. I got rid of my Dualpack within a month. It's just a VERY poor design! The two biggest issues I had with it was that the top pocket would "fall" down onto my discs and make it a pain to get them out. Even after puting a plastic piece on the top of the internal frame, it still was a problem. Couple that with the small opening to get to your discs, it drove me NUTS!
Never tried the Mahal, but the owners sure seem to love it. So as far as backpack style bags go. It's the Grip for me, but Shane at Voodoo said there is a packpack style bag in the works and Revo is suppose to be doing the same. Also, I've owned several bags over the years (Innova, Phenix, Voodoo, Revo, Lat 64, and GB). Voodoos "bag" style bag is the best I've ever owned, but the Grip is as close to perfect for me (backpack style wise).

Mahal > Grip

No question about it. Dana makes good bags. J@ makes bad promises.

Justin has stood by his word of quality customer service in my book. It was no secret that the bag was in pre-production when many people including myself placed an order.

I had an issue with my rainfly shortly after receiving my bag and had a replacement within a week. A couple weeks ago I started noticing a wear problem with the putter pocket. ive received the 2nd production run bag already.

Top notch service. Im looking forward to Grips other products in the future.

Good luck to all that have the second runs. It is just not for me.

Mahal kills the grip.

I have experienced both of them like the op has.....wait... U say he never tried either and he is making a thread on it? Wait a second.... This has landfil written all over it.

Why not just leave it be tourney?

Mystery Ranch provides soldiers, firefighters, and mountaineers with a quality product. You get what you pay for (unfortunately somebody paid 260 for a gRIP bag...whoops).

Mystery Ranch provides soldiers, firefighters, and mountaineers with a quality product. You get what you pay for (unfortunately somebody paid 260 for a gRIP bag...whoops).
Yes you do (get what you paid for). I got two Grip bags for the price of one Mahal. I'd bet they'll last the rest of my disc golf life or until I see what Voodoo's bag (backpack style) looks like ;) I'm sure the Mahal bag is top notch, but I don't need a Humvee to go over a speed bump.

The Mahal was made as a touring bag not for casual rounds. If you want a tour bag with great fit that you can put everything in for those long weekend tourneys then the Mahal is perfect....but if weight is your main concern is then go gRIP. I have tried both and even got to play around with a few of the proto Mahals having lived up in Missoula, MT I got to see the field testing bags....they were nice but a little heavy for myself.....Boro brought a gRIP by the Gateway shop and I tried that out and it fit me like a glove but was hard to access the discs when full.....so both have some minor issues but you can't go wrong either way.

I have no first-hand experience with either bag and the Grip is the only one I've seen in person so I can't speak firsthand from usage of either but I prefer the Grip not only for its looks but its design as well. It appears as a much more compact design that utilizes its space better.

Soo how many first run mahals ripped and werent built good enough? O wait,they kept testing them til they met their standards and had individual inspectors to examine each bag.

Havent had a single problem with my second run, and it doesnt look like $hit.