• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Grip vs Mahal

Yea- when I originally ordered it in February, I paid 20 bucks for two day air- I bought a water bladder with it bringing up the total.
I knew that when I learned it would ship, I would be freaking out. So I figured what's an extra 15 bucks (besides this is coming out of bonus pay from work) but if I paid 40 bucks more for overnight, I knew that would be a sign of a serious sickness- I had to compensate.

And yea- I've had it since monday, and so far- I love it. The craftsmanship is excellent. check out some photos- i did some detail on the stitching.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/album.php?albumid=1410

I will be playing some very large par 5 courses this weekend, so I'll check back in, otherwise, I've been carrying it every day to get used to it and loaded up- it rides verrry comfortable.

Oh- and I did get mine sooner because I was traveling and I called to inquire when they were shipping. I happened to reach the right guy at the right time and he said he thought there was a couple bags that were already being inspected and that he would see what he could do to make sure I would not miss the delivery and risk it being sent back. I was not expecting this, but 30 minutes later I received an email with a tracking number.

I'm 35 years old and I find it very comforting that I get as excited for gear and toys like I did when I was a tyke (course the toys are way better and cost more)

They look far less ridiculous than I expected. I'm still not paying that much cash, but I'm impressed.

"That green looks better than the pic they have on the website."- JuJu

Yea, it really is, I believe it to be same material/color; slighty different configuration,
However the image on their website has alot of blue in it- due to in-camera WB setting and/or poor image rendering. They may know how to make packs, they just don't know Photography or
How to render images for web use. That bag costs some serious cheddar- they should
Invest in some photography. Lot of people of various professional backgrounds know Mystery Ranch and their rep, very few disc golfers do, so it would be wise to at least par the photography to help convey the integrity of the Golf Mahal.

There seems to be alot of debate between the Grip and the Mahal. Lotta folks are saying "Grip FTW" because they would never drop 60 more clams on a bag. Well... Look at the Grip- lot of seams are already tearing, made in China (although production may move to LA after the fact). Mystery Ranch has an excellent 30 year reputation already. Made in Montana.
I'm coming off biased, but come on.

Y'all Have some good rounds out there; peace and chicken grease. Keep the rubber on the ground and the shiny side up.

Bigfoot Yancey said:
Well... Look at the Grip- lot of seams are already tearing, made in China (although production may move to LA after the fact). Mystery Ranch has an excellent 30 year reputation already. Made in Montana.

I have no dog in this fight, I have no interest in buying either bag, but this leads to an important point. Grip may well come out of this ok, they're certainly in the right industry to screw up a bunch and still come out ok since disc golfers are generally willing to put up with a lot of shit to get their shiny new toys, but it has been a very ugly beginning for them. It has been pointed out in comparisons that both bags have lifetime warranties but that's a misnomer. Your warranty is only good for as long as the company that offered it is around so if Grip can't figure out how to run a good business then you're going to be on your own in the future.

you are right about the "misnomer" .
that is a good point.
I have faith in the Grip bag. Rough start, but they'll pull through. They are fine bags and once the snafu is ironed out they'll be solid.

I received mine the day before I left for Bowling Green, KY. I can not say enough about this bag. It's easily the best made bag I've seen, the craftsmanship is bar none. The color scheme you choose is used throughout the bag, which I thought was nice. The fit is what did it for me, I could not believe how easy and light this thing feels. I carried 13 discs, snacks, and watter bottles and a hoody. During all the rounds down there I never felt fatigued, sore, or wore out from carrying it around. My buddy caddied for me during the Final 9 down there, and he said he wants one asap. It's amazing at how much better the back pack style feels then the traditional bag and quads. I saw a few people with Grips down there, but let me tell you this bag is in a league of it's own.

Bigfoot Yancey said:
There seems to be alot of debate between the Grip and the Mahal. Lotta folks are saying "Grip FTW" because they would never drop 60 more clams on a bag. Well... Look at the Grip- lot of seams are already tearing, made in China (although production may move to LA after the fact). Mystery Ranch has an excellent 30 year reputation already. Made in Montana.

this is a pretty shitty thing to say about a competitor...if you can even call gripEQ a competitor. Justin's entire business depends on his product in a disc golf market, Mystery Ranch could totally bomb a DG bag and still continue to thrive.

30 years of reputation and production, and you're pointing out the flaws of a start up company (which probably started much the same way that your company did) who hasn't even had a single product on the market for a year.

you're not coming off biased, you're coming off as an elitist snob.

I'm not here to say whose product is better - I'm fairly certain that the Mahal is a fantastic bag - but the attitude toward gripEQ has been pretty bad lately, by a lot of people. Yes, their initial order of business probably wasn't dealt with in the best way, but you can't expect a flawless product and delivery from a start-up company run by someone without an MBA and years of experience in mass production/sales.

victorb said:
...but the attitude toward gripEQ has been pretty bad lately, by a lot of people. Yes, their initial order of business probably wasn't dealt with in the best way, but you can't expect a flawless product and delivery from a start-up company run by someone without an MBA and years of experience in mass production/sales.

Why are you making excuses for them?

zj1002 said:
Excuses? He is being logical. Try it

Ok, lets use logic.
Did the grip bag live up to expectations? No.
Does it have quality issues? Yes.
Is the first run being scrapped in favor of a new design? Yes.
Is the bag OMGSOAWESOMEILOVEDISCGOLFDON'TSAYANYTHINGBADABOUTMYPEEPS? evidently so.

I guess I missed the GripEQ kool-aid party. I don't know why you defenders are jumping out of the woodwork, the product should speak for itself. This is business 101. Cut the grass roots shit out, we've covered that. The bottom line is the Mahal is a better bag in terms of quality and this thread is about the Grip vs. Mahal. Stop making excuses for Justin. I own both bags, do you?

Zj, you and I are more eye to eye on this than we sound in this thread. The only difference is that you've actually accepted the situation with your Grip bag where I have not (yet). If I started using the bag I'd probably be fine, i'm just not the type that wants to deal with the process of using a lifetime guarantee as opposed to having a product that has the lifetime guarantee built INTO it. I've said my piece in the gripEQ thread so I'll leave it at that.

I have to agree with Jeronimo and Yancy. The reason Mystery Ranch has been in buisness for 30+ years is they produce a quality product and deliver within a timely manner. I've been playing disc for 15+ years and a pro player for over 5 and seen numerous products come thru in that time. I own multiple bags and the latest purchase--2 years ago-- was the Pheonix bag with the truck bed liner (wife actually got that). I was on the fence on which bag to purchase next--Mahl or Grip (the Pheonix is just way to heavy and has no storage but the liner is great) and after seeing all the problems and issues with the Grip I decided to go with the Mahl--along with multiple other reasons and company rep.
If you are starting a new company, you better have all your P's and Q's together before promising a product. Looking at all the forums the Grip bag has had multiple problems being made and delivered--to the extent that many people are asking for refunds. Besides the product, your reputation as a company starts from the day you take your first order and Grip is not off to a good start. This is not bashing...it's being "logical". Start ups come and go every day. It's the ones who have their s@#t together, produce, and stand by a good product that stay around...thus Mystery Ranch getting hundreds of thousands of orders for their gear every year.
I wish Grip Equipment good luck and hope they make it because I always want to see another golfer succeed in this world. Cheers!