• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Grip/Wrist extension Question

BigDaveC

Bogey Member
I have been trying to get the disc pretty high up in my hand on my power grip (RHBH). So for me it seems like I all of my fingers are quite a bit curled up under the disc. On videos of better players it seems to me like that they have more of the thumb pad and hand on top of the disc than I do. I tried this out and it felt much easier for me to hold the disc, I also didn't have near as much trouble as I usually do trying to scrunch all of my fingers onto the inner rim under the disc. So if I am making any sense to anyone so far, my wrist extension with the old grip had my wrist "flat", the back of the wrist facing the target for a straight throw. With this other grip the back of my wrist is turned a little bit towards the sky at release.

All the grip pictures I have seen on the disc review site to me clearly show the wrist needing to be oriented as I was trying to do it in my old grip, the wrist flat at release, the back of the hand facing the target. Sure seems like you can get more movement in the wrist joint with it oriented that way.

Is this the proper orientation of the wrist? Does it have to be oriented this way to get good snap? Why does it seem to me like a lot of pros have the disc lower in their hand than thath seam that I've heard people talk about between the crease of the heel of the hand and between the second and third knuckle? Thanks.

Boy, you cover about as much as a flapper's skirt in a high wind. Explain yourself(pictures)! Yer tounge's flappin' but no noise is comin' outa yer big mouth!

^^same here I got lectured about UV lighting the night before last and i read it all in the foghorn voice.

I have been trying to get the disc pretty high up in my hand on my power grip (RHBH). So for me it seems like I all of my fingers are quite a bit curled up under the disc. On videos of better players it seems to me like that they have more of the thumb pad and hand on top of the disc than I do. I tried this out and it felt much easier for me to hold the disc, I also didn't have near as much trouble as I usually do trying to scrunch all of my fingers onto the inner rim under the disc. So if I am making any sense to anyone so far, my wrist extension with the old grip had my wrist "flat", the back of the wrist facing the target for a straight throw. With this other grip the back of my wrist is turned a little bit towards the sky at release.

All the grip pictures I have seen on the disc review site to me clearly show the wrist needing to be oriented as I was trying to do it in my old grip, the wrist flat at release, the back of the hand facing the target. Sure seems like you can get more movement in the wrist joint with it oriented that way.

Is this the proper orientation of the wrist? Does it have to be oriented this way to get good snap? Why does it seem to me like a lot of pros have the disc lower in their hand than thath seam that I've heard people talk about between the crease of the heel of the hand and between the second and third knuckle? Thanks.

If it's the article at DGR you are talking about, yes, that is proper wrist orientation

The really high power guys who get "lots" (the actual distance the wrist travels isn't super great) of wrist extension/snap don't need to have the disc as high in their hand to get the nose down. Wrist extension actually forces the nose down as does the disc speed so they can use grips that give them a stronger grip rather than ones that help get the nose down. If you're stuck with not a whole lot of snap, aka almost everyone, then the added nose down from getting the disc above the seam in your hand will give you more D than the extra grip strength you'd get otherwise.

Latest posts