• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

grotto's bag

grotto

Double Eagle Member
Not that anyone really cares, but I had a really good day playing and just felt like posting what it is I throw.

Thoughts or ideas welcome!

Vitals:
Years playing-5, but this is my third year serious. First two years I pretty much only played a pitch and putt with a DX Shark and a DX Wraith.

Throwing Style: RHBH, RHFH
Golf Distance (avg)
Putter - 250
Mids - 250-290 (Disc Dependent)
Fairway - 300-330
Distance - 350
Have hit 400ft a couple of times with a Tern, but the loss of accuracy and inconsistency has cost me more than the few extra feet, so to stop tempting myself, I sold it.

Optional:
Sex: M
6'2" - 200lbs and relatively fit and healthy.
Injuries/handicaps; Old right rotator-cuff injury, slight right knee problems.

This years improvements; Since last fall I took a few steps back and followed Garublador's "How to build a bag" thread with great results! I now know how to throw discs on many lines instead of relying on one disc for one line. I also spent a lot of time learned to throw forehand. I now can forehand every disc in my bag and I'm only 20-30 ft shorter than I am back-hand now, so there has been a lot of improvement this year.

I carry 14 discs in a Fade Crunch bag

Putters;
Putting - Yeti 176gr
Driving - Judge Fuzion 176gr

Mids;
Suspect - BioFuzion 175gr. Main BH/FH approach disc, flex woods mid. If I could only carry one mid, this would be it.
Truth - Lucid 177gr. My go-to mid, can be a little too long, but very predictable.
Mako - Star 180gr. Straight shots / powered down touch and annie shots.
Bard - VIP 175gr. Over-stable mid, not used much

Fairways
Gazelle - DX 175gr nicely seasoned. Love this disc, does everything a Leopard does, just better. Ready to break out a new one to cycle.
Teebird - Echo Star 171gr. Main fairway, very predictable.
Eagle "X" - Star 175gr. Main line shaping, FH and flex shot fairway.
Banshee - Star 175gr. My utility disc.

Drivers
Escape - Fuzion 175gr. Main Driver. Very consistent unless it's windy, but really not much further than my Teebird.
C-CD-2 - 175gr. My favorite FH driver. Maybe some overlap with the Escape, but it's a bit more stable and not as nose angle sensitive.
Roadrunner - Star 171gr. Big turnovers, hyzer-flips and I'm practicing rollers.
Orc - Star 175gr. My main control driver in the wind and another disc I forehand well.

That's pretty much what I carry day in and day out. If the wind is really up, I replace the Banshee with a FLX Predator, I can flex the snot out of this disc in the wind!

Other discs I do field work with and swap out at times depending on the course;
TL3 - G-star 171gr. Too warm out now for me to bag, as soon as it goes below 70 degrees though, it's my main fairway.
Viper - DX 177gr. I really like this disc, but it's not as stable as the numbers say.
Roc - DX -177gr.
Roc - KC pro - 177gr
Roc3 - Champion 174gr. No more stable than my Truth, but I have a harder time forehanding it.
Panther - Champion 175gr. Mako is taking it's place for now. We'll see. Love to Hyzer-flip it.
Comet - Big-Z and "X", both 177gr. Love throwing these but I can't power them down well without having early release problems so I don't bag them, but I'm working on it.
Leopard - Star and Pro, both 175gr. Like throwing them, but when I bag them, I never use them.
Teebird - Champion 175gr.
Teebird - G-Star 175gr.
FD - S-line 175gr. Like it, but don't trust the distance it gets at times.
Starfire "L" - Pro 171gr. First disc I really learned to drive forehand.
Inertia - Neutron 171gr. Love to hyzer-flip this disc, but it's blood red and for some reason I just can't find it in the fairway. Plan on using it in the winter though.
Wraith - Pro 170gr. Fun disc to throw, but I don't throw it any further than my Escape, so I know speed 9 is pretty much it for me as of now.

Love the game! Wish I would have discovered it years ago.

Played a round with a newbee today, gave a few pointers and gave him my old DX Teebird and a Prime Judge.

It was a good day.

Last edited:
Good bag. I also go back and forth between the Mako3 and Panther on technical courses. I also like the SL though I'm not carrying it right now...

Took the Bard out, too much overlap with the Suspect.
Added the Panther back, it's a good woods disc.

End of season update

Putters;
Yeti - main putter
Whale XT - Putting/upshots
Judge Fuzion - driving/upshots

Mids;
Suspect - Bio
Truth - Lucid
Comet - "X"
Claymore - Recycled

Fairways
Patriot - Pinnacle
TL-3 - G-Star
Teebird - Echo Star
Eagle "X" - Star

Drivers
Escape - Fuzion
Roadrunner - Star
Orc - G-Star

Looks like an interesting and fairly simple bag(have been working on that as well), do you carry multiples of those? Went back to your first post and saw your comment on learning forehand. What did you do to teach yourself forehand to be similar distance to your backhand? I have tried to play forehand only rounds to learn and it goes awful.

Actually, the best disc that taught me to throw a forehand well was a Leopard. Putters were too deep. Watched a few videos, watched how Big Jerm and Barsby throw, stopped trying the ridiculous Avery Jenkins wind up, followed through without rolling my wrist over and just took it slow. The Truth and Roadrunner were other disc I practiced with. Once I learned the stable/understable stuff, the rest was easy. I'll still forehand the Roadrunner often on a hyzer flip line for low woods shots, it's a really comfortable and predictable disc.

Summer update

Putters;
Yeti (3) 175 one beat, one new and one just right
Rhyno (2) 175 DX One seasoned, one new
Birdie DX 173

Mids;
Verdict - Bio 177
Truth Emac- Fuzion 177
Roc DX (2) one beat, one new both 177
Comet ESP 177

Fairways
Leopard - G* 170
Teebird (2)- G*, DX both 171
Eagle-X (2) Star , DX both 175

Drivers
Escape (2) - Fuzion 175, Lucid Air154
Sidewinder - Star 168
Orc - Star 175

I don't always bag everything, depending on the course I pull some of them.

Other discs I've been working with. Pro Leopard 175, Pinnacle Patriot 174, R-Pro pig 175, New/old DX Beast-X 175 and a DX Wraith 175.

And I thought I was the only one who bagged a Birdie! Never seen anyone else throw one!

No over-stable utility disc?

Latest posts