• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Group size versus added temporary holes

thanks

First ---- Saturday September 19 is our event.

I hear you all, and agree. Thanks for input.

For my first one here, will stick to 18 holes, with a 72 person cap. Done.

The Temps would have used existing fields and trails, one particularly from the top of the hill between 17 and 18 is pretty cool. Next time!!!!

For those thinking of coming, check Foundation Park on this site.

Will play from the reds (concrete) , to a mix of A and B pin placements

I understand the sentiment, but to maximize efficiency you would want supply=demand at an equilibrium point. When demand is greater than supply there is obviously a shortage which is inefficient. To me you can accomplish this by having supply greater than demand since the end result would equal the two out. If supply is way less than demand prices should increase. Just my thoughts, now maybe I'll read the entire thread to see if I'm overlooking something.

There are other considerations than economic efficiency, or even balancing supply & demand. If demand exceeds supply, everyone pre-registers. This is much easier on the TD, from budgeting to getting things set up in advance to having less to do on the morning of the tournament. It is easier for the players who get in, because their Saturday morning check-in goes smoother. It sucks, of course, for those who don't get in.

In balance, more people benefit than lose out, an imbalance I favor. Especially since sometimes I'm the TD.

Someone might have already said this, but if you don't fill at 72 be sure to put the lower skilled divisions in 3 packs; they generally throw more shots, have to look for more discs and thus can take a little longer to play than higher skilled divisions.

Usually, keeping the divisions intact and minimizing mixed-division cards dictates this, more than anything else. Hopefully a 6-person division will fit into threesomes, a 16-person division into foursomes, and there won't be any 5-person divisions.

Otherwise, one of our strategies is to put the bottom cards, in whatever divisions, into threesomes. Without passing judgement on which division tends to play faster or slower, our best guess is that the guys shooting 10 strokes higher than the leaders are probably taking more time to do it.

Announce a player cap before registration and stick to it!
I'm hosting a btier that sold out (90 players) quickly and got a lot of emails requesting I add holes to accommodate the 50+ player waitlist.

It just creates a higher demand for next years event, and youre sticking to your cap at 90 kinda rewarding those that actually registered on time.

There are other considerations than economic efficiency, or even balancing supply & demand. If demand exceeds supply, everyone pre-registers. This is much easier on the TD, from budgeting to getting things set up in advance to having less to do on the morning of the tournament. It is easier for the players who get in, because their Saturday morning check-in goes smoother. It sucks, of course, for those who don't get in.

In balance, more people benefit than lose out, an imbalance I favor. Especially since sometimes I'm the TD.
I completely understand this and don't really disagree too much, but the tournament will be inefficient. It doesn't make it a bad tournament by any means. It probably just could've been a little better. Of course that is asking more out of the TD.

Announce a player cap before registration and stick to it!
I'm hosting a btier that sold out (90 players) quickly and got a lot of emails requesting I add holes to accommodate the 50+ player waitlist.

It just creates a higher demand for next years event, and youre sticking to your cap at 90 kinda rewarding those that actually registered on time.
Nice! I say try raising prices next year with that many wanting in. You could still easily fill and it would increase prizes.

Nice! I say try raising prices next year with that many wanting in. You could still easily fill and it would increase prizes.
I say run two separate tournaments for different skill levels or see if a second course can be incorporated.

Not all TD's run tournaments to see how much they can milk out of their players. Not all players play them to get fat payouts.

I say run two separate tournaments for different skill levels or see if a second course can be incorporated.

Not all TD's run tournaments to see how much they can milk out of their players. Not all players play them to get fat payouts.
All else equal that was my opinion. If other courses or strategies are in play I might agree with you as long as said courses and strategies don't devalue the tournament. Not all players would play with a higher entry fee. That's the point. There's an excess of players.

I say run two separate tournaments for different skill levels or see if a second course can be incorporated..

We had a tournament where the TD basically wanted to let everybody in. We had 5-somes AND ghost holes. It was a Sh*tstorm.

Next year the tournament was a split 2 day with different divisions playing different days. Rec, Adv and MPO day 1; Nov, Int and all age and gender protected divisions on day 2.

It still almost filled

Pardon the dumb question, but what is a ghost card? I've played plenty of non-sanctioned events, but not many PDGA tournies, and I've never heard this term before.

Pardon the dumb question, but what is a ghost card? I've played plenty of non-sanctioned events, but not many PDGA tournies, and I've never heard this term before.
In a shotgun start event, its an extra card of players that is squeezed in between ones that are assigned to start on a hole. If you say send a ghost card to Hole 11, they would play it after the initial group assigned to Hole 11 got done, but before the group that started on Hole 10. It really should only be used as a last resort device when the TD accidentally overbooks the event.

And your evidence for this, apart from you fetid imagination, is … ???
Market efficiency has nothing to do with my imagination lol. If you want evidence there's ample sites with basic economic concepts. If you still don't understand pm me and I'll break it down for you.

We are planning the second annual Growler Challenge at Red Tail (see sig), and might be running into a similar issue. The Growler challenge is where we invite a handful of DG Clubs from around the region to hold a limited player combined tag match and the club that gets the best top 4 scores wins Growlers from a local brewery and other prizes. Each club is also encouraged to create their own challenges (CTP, doubles... it's DG Olympics here) with prizes from breweries and businesses that support their club.

This year the response has been huge and, since this is a beer/brewery themed event, we are considering having a beer garden every 6 holes where the ghost card can sample beers while they wait to tee up on the next hole.

Has anyone tried this? What do you guys think?

It's only a ghost card at the start. After that, you've got 19 groups in various places on an 18-hole course.

But if you've got a regular backup hole or three, giving the backed up groups something to do during their turn on the backup is worthwhile.

But you can limit it to 18 groups, avoiding the extra nuisance of a ghost card, and still cater to the backups.

We are planning the second annual Growler Challenge at Red Tail (see sig), and might be running into a similar issue. The Growler challenge is where we invite a handful of DG Clubs from around the region to hold a limited player combined tag match and the club that gets the best top 4 scores wins Growlers from a local brewery and other prizes. Each club is also encouraged to create their own challenges (CTP, doubles... it's DG Olympics here) with prizes from breweries and businesses that support their club.

This year the response has been huge and, since this is a beer/brewery themed event, we are considering having a beer garden every 6 holes where the ghost card can sample beers while they wait to tee up on the next hole.

Has anyone tried this? What do you guys think?
Typically the ghost card moves. It will start say on hole 10, but a few card in a group will lose a disc or play slow and 10 will be open when they get there. The backup spot will have moved back to hole 8 or 9. Having a tent set up for the backup would be tricky becasue eventually it will be in the wrong place.

An exception to that is if you have a really hard and/or stupid hole that you know is going to back up. Locally we have a stupid hole on hole 8; we know it will back up becasue it is designed stupidly and no one actually follows the design. It causes a lot of delay/confusion looking for discs becasue there effectively is no fairway to hit and it's a totally blind shot. We could set up a backup tent there and most of the time there would be a group waiting there. Even at that, it's not 100%; there are still dead times on that hole where a group bogged down on another hole and fell behind, so the backup moved to another place on the course. It just usually moves back to 8 as soon as that group gets there.

Latest posts