• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Growth of DG?

To grow or not to grow?

• Total voters
This ^ is well put. A grassroots following where the common player contributes to course maintenance and improvement could really strengthen the sport. Seems better to improve the live experience (playing dg and attending events ) rather than the virtual experience (veiwing on tv and other media sources). That being said, I am longing for a big-time disc golf video game for my winter withdrawals.

When it comes down to it, if everyone pitches in, the sport will evolve positively
I hate to be "that guy" but...grassroots everybody pitches in is what we had. It's a small-scale mentality. When we had 80 members and two courses in St. Louis you could call out for a work day and get 15-20 guys. Now that St. Louis has 500+ members and a map full of courses, they called out for help to get a second course ready for an event and got nobody.

Why? Too big. "Not my problem." "There are already 12 courses I can play whenever I want to that I like so no urgency to get another one." "There are 500 other members so they won't miss me." You lose that "all for one and one for all" thing that people had when there were only 80 of us and we desperately wanted new courses to play on.

So be careful what you wish for. Grassroots is how we got here, but once you are here you can't turn around and say after all that work we just want to go back where we were. We have to figure out how to make where we are work for us.

Eh, the skateboarding thing was pure marketing to a homogeneous demographic. Once companies realized that white suburban male 13-18 year-old's all got allowances from their detached, self-absorbed baby-boomer middle-class parents and had very little restrictions on what they could spend that money on, they became a target marketing audience. Pretty soon any company that wanted a chunk of that teen market started using skateboarding as the "hip-rebel" teenage activity in their marketing, so SunnyD had kids skateboarding through waves of fake OJ in commercials to try to seem like a hip beverage and tap in to all those kids grabbing a drink at the Quicky Mart while they were buying cigarettes.

The reality to anybody who really watched the skate parks was that not very many kids actually skateboarded. It was a perception brought on by how the activity was advertised. It worked its way into our public understanding: If you say "skate punk" everybody imagines a 14-year old white male in a black Misfits T-Shirt and baggy jeans. It was marketed into a stereotype. The reality is that there just isn't that many of those kids out there.

The X-Games is just more of the same: ESPN wanted to get those white suburban male 13-18 year-old's eyes on their network so SunnyD and all the companies that wanted to sell to them would advertise on ESPN. The X Games are great for them becasue they have a targeted demographic. Anybody who wants to sell to that targeted demographic wants to advertise on the X-Games.

while i generally respect your opinion and knowledge on the history of disc golf and frisbee sports, i find your opinion on the popularity of skateboarding to be a bit misguided. as someone who has been skating since the early 80's, i take exception to the comment

"All skateboarders were/are white suburban male 13-18 year-old's."

back in the 80's, after the first wave crashed and skateboarding went underground, the people who were skating did it for the love of the game, so to speak. saturday mornings dozens of us would take the bus, get rides from friends or parents and meet at a ramp or downtown and skate all day, sometimes covering several miles in search of a spot. skateboarding was our life. we made 'zines, built ramps, traveled for contests and demos. this wasn't a fashion statement and we weren't all suburban white kids. in fact, several of my closest friends were black inner city skaters who preferred rap to the punk rock that i listened to. skateboarding was a melting pot for misfits from all walks of life.

as for this

"The reality to anybody who really watched the skate parks was that not very many kids actually skateboarded."

i worked at a skate park for 5 years and i can assure you that we rarely had people coming to the park just to see and be seen. if you showed up you skated. on a nice summer saturday it wasn't uncommon to have over 100 people show up throughout the day. again, people from all walks of life and various ages. it was hardly a haven for suburban white teenage boys. there were old school dudes in their 30's, girls, inner city gangsters. it was impossible to stereotype the typical park visitor.

now, your scene (if in fact you actually skated and didn't just "learn" that stuff in some sociology class) may have been different, and i don't claim to be an authority on all skateboarding scenes, but considering that i was sponsored and traveled to several different states to skate in contests, had friends who worked for thrasher, were some of the top pros, etc., i'm thinking our experiences were considerably different.

So be careful what you wish for. Grassroots is how we got here, but once you are here you can't turn around and say after all that work we just want to go back where we were. We have to figure out how to make where we are work for us.

I guess different levels of involvement from different people is more what I meant. At my point in life right now, currently working to establish my career, I don't really have the resources to involve myself in the disc golf community more than helping local courses with some of the basic stuff (maintenance, supporting events, etc..).

For others, involvement could mean hosting new local events, working with city park departments, working to improve broadcasting, or even just introduing friends to the sport.

Combine the different levels of involvement and maybe it's the right formula?

now, your scene (if in fact you actually skated and didn't just "learn" that stuff in some sociology class) may have been different, and i don't claim to be an authority on all skateboarding scenes, but considering that i was sponsored and traveled to several different states to skate in contests, had friends who worked for thrasher, were some of the top pros, etc., i'm thinking our experiences were considerably different.
Sorry, it wasn't really meant to be about skateboarding. Anything I know about skateboarding participation comes from demographic studies from when I worked in parks and recreation; there was no "scene" here. Those demographic studies were why the skate parks were going up in the white 'burbs and not in the the inner cities in the 90's. They could have gone up in the inner cities becasue the same demographic studies rated the average skateboarder as an "at-risk" youth and a bunch of the skate parks were paid for with grants meant to help at-risk kids. :|

@Zam: Sorry, "skaters are teen punks" is what they taught us in parks school. On the plus side, it paid for a lot of half pipes. Not sure who got rustled.

Last edited:
It looks like Saskatoon and Regina could support decent DG clubs. The rest of the province seems pretty sparse. Is the course you play busy at all? Or is it that DG is just plain unknown up there.

The course I play at is a small 9 hole in a city park (pop. Of city is maybe 18,000 people). On a nice summer weekend it might see about 10-15 different people play on it, and that might be generous. People in he town are semi-aware of it (the local newspaper editor has written articles and plays regularly), there just isn't enough experienced people to really help spread the sport and teach people how to play and get them into it.

There is a disc golf club in Regina lobbying for the city to install a course. Hopefully it will go through and the game will spread to other areas of the province.

Last edited:
Depends on what kind of growth. Most disc golfers are great but there are the ONES. You know the ONES im talkin about. The sport already has a bad reputation. We need the right kind of growth.