• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Guilford Meadows in Greensboro, NC

bcbrown

I have some proposed changes to this course that I'd like to run by whoever is responsible for the course. It has huge playability for beginners and pros alike if managed right.

Here are my proposals, I'm interested in some feedback from those who have played it.
General approach: Add some risk/reward and a set of teepads for beginners.
The map: http://i.imgur.com/13lNUEj.jpg
Yellow = Pro
Red = Am

#1: Existing pad becomes Yellow pad. Red throws from mouth of forest
#2: Yellow throws from a new pad behind hole #1 (hopefully with routes left and right to the hole with a risk/reward decision). Red throw from existing pad.
#3: Yellow throws from existing pad. Red throws from a pad up the hill with a RHBH hyzer route at the gap. Preferrably, basket gets moved closer to teepads ~5 feet, but not mandatory.
#4: Move basket to right side of fairway to prevent RHBH hyzerbombs. Move existing pad back (if permissible), add a red pad a bit down the fairway.
#5: Move existing tee back ~10 feet (a nook is already made.. possibly already tried as a teepad). Add a red pad in a location that allows RHBH hyzer around the big cedar or through the gap.
#6: Yellow throws from ~15 feet behind existing (one more gap to hit). Red throws from existing.
#7: Yellow throws from existing pad. Red throws from new tee pad already across the gap.
#8: Yellow throws from existing pad. Red throws from new tee pad allowing RHBH through small gap on right or anhyzer through larger gap.
#9: May need to move basket to the right to prevent incoming discs from #11. Yellow throws from existing pad. Red throws from pad farther up the fairway.
#10: Yellow throws from a pad ~50' farther than red, preferably with a similar style tucked into a forest nook. Red throws from existing.
#11: Two baskets, 1 pad. Yellow basket is ~550' downhill. It seems like this basket was cleared out if you look for it. Yellow basket also allows for easier egress to #12 yellow. Red plays to existing basket.
#12: New pad for Yellow adding a tricky contour shot. (Safety concern with incoming discs from #7 must be addressed)
#13: Red and Yellow throw from existing.
#14: Yellow throws from existing (preferrably a bit farther if possible). Red throws from a bit closer than existing.
#15: Yellow throws from same side of road as existing, but farther back. Also could use the pad that appears to have been explored previously (seems too straight of a throw if you don't put the pad against the forest like existing pad) Red throws from existing.
#16: Yellow throws from existing. Do some shrubbery work to open up the right side fairway a bit (beat back the path toward hole 18 ~5 feet). Red throws from left side of existing fairway with sight of hole (may not be possible with existing dirt pile)
#17: Yellow throws from ~20 feet behind existing. Red throws from existing.
#18: Yellow throws from existing. Red throws from pad on right side of fairway after the first large gap.

if it's a city park contact the city and request to get in touch with whoever is in charge of the course and talk to them

I believe it's owned by Guilford College. I've been told the college is refusing to allow improvements, though I have no conformation of that.

I've only played it once, but I remember enjoying it, except for the woeful tees. Could be a nice course if it gets some attention.

We already have a Blue/Red layout. The main issue is the College Club being able to do the work to get stuff done.
Some of the spots you saw that looked like they had been cleared for greens...like #11...yea that was me. The original hole was about 520ft and tee off well past were the new farm plot is. We moved the tee because people were going to have to throw over the plot, which was a cool shot except that there is an electric fence and I dont think the farm guys would be very happy with discgolfers stomping on their cabbage. The basket is in to original spot and was at some point going to be moved to that clearing you saw in the tree line eventually.
Hole #10's basket was moved to keep people out of a yard (It didnt end up where I was planning for it to go which is why the tee is angled funky)
#1 has been moved many times now due to plans of expanding and fencing in the mulch yard. I moved the basket into the woods earlier this year.

Most of the holes have Blues but the college wanted to get the reds finished first (the reds are the ones with the first round of tee pads). You saw #15's blue tee which has grown in some due to lack of use since a tree came down in the fairway in front of it and still blocks the shot. One day the college will clean it up though probably no time soon. Theres a Blue tee in the woods for #16, just about where you were looking, we have to trim the low branch.Theres a Blue tee for #13 and 14, 13's in the woods down by the creek and 14's is out in the field by the farm plot.

Trimming is on hold now due to people complaining that we were killing baby trees. When things cool down we'll be able to actually do some more work. Please do not take it upon yourself to cut anything as I want to wait till I can get in there this winter after everybody has calmed down out there.

I have no clue when they will get signage out there since the college kids are in charge of that.

And as a reminder it is technically a private course. The intent is that it is designed for the college kids/new players not pros or advanced. I added the blues so that it would give them something to grow into skill wise and keep them interested. It keeps getting misconstrued that I'm designing it for the "Adult" Players and not the college kids. But thats why the blues are slow to be going in. That and I was getting burnt out listening to the whining about that i was making stuff too hard.
When I heard of the course going in back last year I went out to investigate and offered my help since I was unemployed and just moved to NC. Back in Kentucky I pretty much just built courses. I suggested utilizing the woods to fix some flow issues. They had designed pretty much all the holes following the cross country track to avoid having to do any actual work but ended up with a bunch of repeating holes. The original last 5 holes were all the same with traffic crossing over what is now #5's fairway. Thats where the Drew holes came from. #1,#2,#3,#17,#18. So if you hate those holes you can blame me. Most of the other holes I did some minor tweaks to get the distances right for red level.
I may or may not post up a map of the blue/red layout tomorrow. I have to redo the one I have on file.

Drew

I like 1 and 2 (one of the best landing areas nature will allow... risk and reward available on the approach AND the putt... a rarity)
3 needs something, maybe just a pad.
17 makes me feel awkward on release, but may be intended as such.
18 is great...with a pad (and now some trimming on the early fairway)

It's a fun course and a nice location to test some new plastic acquired from the nearby PIAS. I think it will grow in popularity fairly steadily as the college kids discover it and the tees alleviate the whole swampy/muddy problem after a rain. We got a ton of rain this year so that should be less of a problem normally and that seemed to be the biggest complaint from people I've talked to that have played there.

They got the pads in and on the ground (one of the Gate City club guys and I flipped them so they were right side up) #14 just doesn't have a pad yet, probably because it had to really be leveled first. We'll see if they do that of half ass one somewhere else on 14.

I like 1 and 2 (one of the best landing areas nature will allow... risk and reward available on the approach AND the putt... a rarity)
3 needs something, maybe just a pad.
17 makes me feel awkward on release, but may be intended as such.
18 is great...with a pad (and now some trimming on the early fairway)

Red level holes all the way. 18 is a par 4 red level. I know it doesn't seem like it if you are a upper white level player on up, but then it's not supposed to be.
I've seen advanced players deuce it a few times but its pretty risky. It's up on my list of favorite holes I've come up with. I do plan on trimming the underside of the cedar thats leaning over the fairway now (not cutting it as it makes a nice window to shoot up through).

3 needs more clean up of the cedars on both the right and left sides of the entrance of the green. It still suffers from the bush within the circle syndrome.

17 is one of those "you don't realize how short the hole really is" type of holes. The tightness off the tee and the and the ob creek on the left of the basket make it tough even for upper level players. Hint; take it slow and disc down.

2 could use some more trimming of the overheads. The idea is to shape the shots over to the left side of the green to set up for a death putt with the creek on 3 sides of the basket.
I like to point out to people that my original idea was throwing around the huge poplar tree that you walk buy to the other side of the creek but I scrapped that thinking someone was going to have a conniption seeing people throwing discs into a 350+year old tree.

I've deuced 18, but only twice of 12-15 rounds. I think pads will make a huge difference as I'm a little hesitant to really go for it with the slippery footing and tight early fairway.

3 I basically consider as this: Throw a good shot and then hope you get lucky and it makes it through the crap (easy putt) or you get left with an acceptably long putt.

I'd love if 2's final state gave you the choice of: safe: Throw a shot into the junk 20-30ft left and short of the hole vs. Aggressive: Try to S curve back toward the basket and get a tap-in.

I'd have to see the poplar you were talking about, but I suspect I'd agree with you 100%

Headed out here in a bit with some inexperienced relatives. Should be... interesting!

Latest posts