• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Guinness World Record Attempt: Most Holes in 24 Hours

It really is, just breaking 1000 was a huge deal when a couple people did that a few years ago, now it's at over 1600 and even tougher to top.

I've always thought that this record will belong to a seasoned ultra marathoner that can play DG.

We did 1620 holes in 21 hours and 10 minutes. Thanks for the gratz guys. To be honest neither of us are marathon guys or anything like that. We are hardcore disc golfers that wanted to raise awareness for the sport. Our record will get beat. No doubt about it. Cody I believe can get it done. However, we feel we accomplished our mission in raising money for local park improvement as well as raising awareness to over 300,000 folks in the Quad City area with interviews and articles. Next time we go at 2000 holes.

We did 1620 holes in 21 hours and 10 minutes. Thanks for the gratz guys. We are hardcore disc golfers that wanted to raise awareness for the sport. Our record will get beat. No doubt about it. Cody I believe can get it done. However, we feel we accomplished our mission in raising money for local park improvement as well as raising awareness to over 300,000 folks in the Quad City area with interviews and articles. Next time we go at 2000 holes.

Well said Murf. I enjoyed playing 1620 holes with you. I can't imagine what number an Ultra-Marathon conditioned person could get to, I am a 31 year old that has never been to a gym or been into physical fitness. I'm just stubborn. Good Luck Cody.

We did 1620 holes in 21 hours and 10 minutes. Thanks for the gratz guys. To be honest neither of us are marathon guys or anything like that. We are hardcore disc golfers that wanted to raise awareness for the sport. Our record will get beat. No doubt about it. Cody I believe can get it done. However, we feel we accomplished our mission in raising money for local park improvement as well as raising awareness to over 300,000 folks in the Quad City area with interviews and articles. Next time we go at 2000 holes.

A hole every 47 seconds....for over 21 hrs? Yikes. I normally don't throw that often doing fieldwork and am unloading my bag. I can't imagine keeping that pace with the running and whatnot.

Curious question - did you by chance measure out your route to get an idea of how many miles you ran during that time?

The number we believe we hit is right around the mid 60's. Being conservative we figure 60 - 65 miles covered in 21 hours. I know that Mike Sale (beast and current official record holder) covered close to 75 miles in 24 hours during his record attempt. However his course of choice was not totally in his favor making his attempt that much more impressive.

Great job guys! As one who knows first foot >1600 hole in 21 hours seems impossible! Seems unbeatable, but I said that about 1300 too.

I am the designated PDGA (and thus WFDF) keeper of this world record. The PDGA/WFDF records are maintained at DG Resources.

Would Joe & Garry and Cody please email me so that I can get some information for the record books?

My email is playdiscgolf at gmail dot com. (I may be a little slow to respond, so please bear with me.)

Go get some well deserved rest!

Did you guys by any chance have a scorekeeper? I'm curious how many aces/birds/pars/bogies. That breakdown from one of the prior record holders was pretty cool to see.

1) CONGRATS!
2) Cody: I'm pulling for you! (nothing personal, gentlmen).

The evolution of this record is pretty amazing.
It really is, just breaking 1000 was a huge deal when a couple people did that a few years ago, now it's at over 1600 and even tougher to top.
No doubt, and while people will only push it further, I don't think people will continue to break it with the same frequency we've seen in the past. As the number of holes climbs higher, I think that a single person with a well equipped and organized support team will begin to approach the limit somewhere south of 2000 holes, and we'll start to see record being broken by only a few holes and probably a few failed (but valiant) attempts.

I can't recall anyone posting about an attempt that failed...

Last edited:
What is stopping someone from making a 2-hole course, each with a length of 3 feet? Just because you don't like or respect a course, much like this course in this thread, that doesn't invalidate the record apparently.

Every time someone tries this record, it seems to be on a shorter and shorter course. At what point is it no longer acceptable?

Every time someone tries this record, it seems to be on a shorter and shorter course. At what point is it no longer acceptable?

At the point that the parks department does not see the point in courses that short. A rule with Guinness is that the course has to be permanent, so setting two baskets up in a field 50 feet apart would not count. I am not going to sit here and say that my course is the hardest, it isn't, in fact it is on average 20 feet per hole less than Gary and Joe's. At some point parks departments aren't going to make courses that are any less than 100' per hole (I think that is the bottom of public courses)

I have nine days until my record attempt, and I have set a goal for myself that I believe will be very hard to beat in a course that is any longer than mine.

Since people are getting so heated on course length and what not, I am going to take this time to again promote who I am benefiting. I am benefiting Houston Rescue and Restore Coaltion to combat human trafficking. http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/disc-golf-world-record-attempt-most-holes-played-in-24-hours <--- There is my donation link. Remember to go out and enjoy yourself and not fret on little things like average hole length of a marathon of a record.

I'm sorry you're the one defending this current attempt, but considering the worldwide publication we're dealing with, for-charity or not, you're attempting to declare yourself the greatest-person-ever at some activity. Just as you're getting flack, I'm sure someone attempting the hot-dog eating record using those lil' smokies would also get flack.

So, it is down to each individual parks dept to make a course before it is "officially" a course? That's odd that a parks dept has the final say on what goes into the Guiness Book of World Records.

I can think of many courses away from city limits that have had zero parks dept intervention. Does this mean those courses cannot be used to push the record, since they weren't created by the parks dept?

It seems all I have to do is make sure my 2 baskets (which would be 5 ft apart from each other) have poles encased in concrete 6 ft into the ground, and thus constitutes a "permanent" course.

I'm sorry you're the one defending this current attempt, but considering the worldwide publication we're dealing with, for-charity or not, you're attempting to declare yourself the greatest-person-ever at some activity.
Which in the grand scheme of things means what?

I have heard absolutely nothing about any of the world record attempts outside of disc golf message boards, or news articles about the attempts. Even to most disc golfers, this isn't exactly on their radar.

So, it is down to each individual parks dept to make a course before it is "officially" a course? That's odd that a parks dept has the final say on what goes into the Guiness Book of World Records.
They don't. Guiness has the final say on what goes into the Guiness Book of World Records.

I can think of many courses away from city limits that have had zero parks dept intervention. Does this mean those courses cannot be used to push the record, since they weren't created by the parks dept?
Whether there's a parks department or not is irrelevant. The point is none of the courses used in the past to break the record were installed with the specific intent of someone using it to make a "most holes played in 24 hours" world record attempt. They were installed for everyday play. That's what makes them permanent.

It seems all I have to do is make sure my 2 baskets (which would be 5 ft apart from each other) have poles encased in concrete 6 ft into the ground, and thus constitutes a "permanent" course.
I doubt Guiness would allow that because even if you accomplished such, you would be installing it solely for the purpose of breaking the record.

I'm telling you guys, Civic Center is custom made for breaking this record - it's literally 9 holes worth of upshots:
1) 130 ft
2) 122 ft
3) 105 ft
4) 90 ft
5) 73 ft
6) 134 ft
7) 200 ft
8) 138 ft
9) 102 ft
Total: 1094 ft

It's flat, all the holes are close together, the return from 9 to 1 is under 200ft, and it's reasonably shady, too. You'll card way more 2's than 3's, (even when exhausted) and a boatload of Aces. Less strokes translates to faster rate of play, which will increase the # of holes played, especially over the long haul. It's a great location, too.

Just set a putter up at each tee and a few helpers... record waiting to be shattered.
:popcorn:

The point is none of the courses used in the past to break the record were installed with the specific intent of someone using it to make a "most holes played in 24 hours" world record attempt. They were installed for everyday play. That's what makes them permanent.

So, all I have to do is put it in my backyard and play it every day; thus, confirming their permanence. Gotcha.

I doubt Guiness would allow that because even if you accomplished such, you would be installing it solely for the purpose of breaking the record.

Many Guinness records utilize creations made explicitly for the attempt. Do you think any of the 'World's Largest' food items were ever intended to be eaten? Do you think the 'World's Fastest' car was intended to be put into production?

People are not running from goalpost to goalpost in shorter amounts of time, they're MOVING THE GOALPOST closer and closer together and then declaring themselves faster than the other guy.

The record for most tatoos in 24 hours? It was one hell of a small AZ tattoo over and over. Why not just do countless "dot" tatoos?

The record for the most live concerts in 24 hours by a band? They only played 15 minute sets in each city. Would you call that a "concert"?

Which in the grand scheme of things means what?

I have heard absolutely nothing about any of the world record attempts outside of disc golf message boards, or news articles about the attempts. Even to most disc golfers, this isn't exactly on their radar.

Why would this be important?

First of all, the GBoWR is the #1 sold copy written book of ALL TIME. Having your name inserted in its pages is a privilege. It is an ever-growing testament to the boundlessness of human capability. However, this record has seem to become a quest for the shortest "acceptable" course.

There HAS TO be a lower limit for distance in what constitutes "a course". I don't care if it is 300' or 30' per hole. The point is: SOMETHING needs to be set.

You can't use units of measurement that have zero consistency. Someone is ALWAYS going to find a shorter course.

If you say THIS course is OK, but THAT course is NOT. Where is the point when a hole becomes "too short"? Do you really think a WORLD RECORD should be based on a gut feeling??

What's the world record for dumb posts? Is there a lower limit for exactly how DUMB? I mean, what if you just make a whole bunch of just really dumb posts in a row?

Latest posts