• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Gyro Chat GYROS RULE (ps innova archon something something)

Amateur said:
You know you have a third model if your Beast is slightly concave and has a definate flash. If you remove the flash it will fly like any other run of Beast-L's.

With the flash intact I think they fly like longer original mold Beasts, just a tick less stable all around. Not a bad disc, just a lot of newer discs do the same thing but better.

Hehe Frank the Beast deserves a dedicated thread :-D And that is where i differed in opinion with amateur because so far Beast 3 with flash (not on Pro and it still flies the same) has been the longest straightest driver for me. Once i can get a calm weather test in with high PLH STD the situation may change. Also one of the apparently rare no fade P PDs could come close. Fading kind PDs and low PLH STDs have been some 10 feet shorter on line drives for me than Beasts while fading more.

There is a beast thread.
http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=16207&p=239574&hilit=Beast#p239574

Keep this thread on topic of the archon please

The Champ Archon I tried is alright so I just ordered a Star hoping it will pick up some glide along the way.

Tossed a 175 CFR Champion (Am Worlds) yesterday at Delaveaga. I need to add a bit of hyzer to flip it up but once it is flat it went a little right and then back to straight. It landed with almost no fade. I was impressed.

Haven't seen any FR Star Archons in NorCal, all CFR Am Worlds so far.

I threw a Star Archon a few time yesterday and already I can say that I like it better than the champs. It was flying pretty similarly to my Flows.

discspeed said:
I threw a Star Archon a few time yesterday and already I can say that I like it better than the champs. It was flying pretty similarly to my Flows.

Which kind of Flow? My 170 Star Archon is more HSS than blue GL Flow and way less stable than Opto which does not flip.

JR said:
discspeed said:

Which kind of Flow? My 170 Star Archon is more HSS than blue GL Flow and way less stable than Opto which does not flip.
I have 3 Flows: a 1st run Opto, a new run Opto, and a 1st run GL. My new run Opto won't turn on a clean throw in calm conditions. My 1st run Opto has a smooth, strong turn that is easily balanced by it's LSS. My GL turns hard and needs a deep hyzer release to keep it in the air.

My Archon is most like the 1st run Opto I have.

A friend of mine had one of these and asked me to throw it so he could see what it was suppose to do, (lol) so I threw it. 168g Star Stamped Archons, and it went very far, with almost no effort. The grip felt amazing and the flight was great. When I first released it, the turn was pretty significant, but the fade brought it back right where I wanted it. Keep in mind, I'm at 4600-4700' in altitude.
The thing that impressed me most, was the distance. I have never thrown any of my other discs as far as I threw this one. It was significantly longer too.
Would I add it to my bag if I could? Not sure, what happens when it beats in? This one was fairly new. It could be an amazing turnover or roller disc once it's beat...? I dunno.
First impression, distance was sick with little to no effort.
I was a lot more impressed about the Archon than the Katana. The Katana was way too squirrly, the Vulcan was worse than a beat dx stingray in under stability.

At sea level right rear wind Archon didn't fare well. I think it's better in calm weather but it was more squirrely than other discs i threw and the first time i threw mine with less wind and different directions it was better. Fade is too hard for rear winds and the easy holding of the anny was countered by the quick dropping. Something that should be ameliorated by calm weather to a degree. There are other discs that are easy to get to hold an anny for a long while. I agree that Vulcan is too understable. Wahoo and King plus at least early blue GL Flows are also easy to get to hold an anny for a long while while going fast and far.

Anyone tossed the CFR and Star FR side by side? I only have CFRs and so far they are working for me. My 175 (marked) is easy to flip up to straight and some fade and if tossed flat I get a nice long soft turn and fade back to center. I haven't really tried it on a pure anny line yet but i bet I will like the results.

I am thinking that 11 speed is close to my sweet spot for distance drivers and so far the CFR Archon is making me smile.

Archon wing width is that of a wider winged speed 12 disc Xcaliber with Destroyer being a mm thinner in the wing.

JR said:
Archon wing width is that of a wider winged speed 12 disc Xcaliber with Destroyer being a mm thinner in the wing.

There is no way the Archon has the width of the Xcal.

The rim on the Archon is 2cm the Rim on the XCalibur is 2.4cm... I just measured them.

The best way I have heard the Archon described is a longer Valkyrie. I had a 175g Star Valkyrie, that I tacoed by nailing a tree, and bought a 175g Archon to replace it. Longer Valkyrie. Straight flyer, perfect for tunnel shots.

Xcaliber is PDGA approved for 23 mm wing so how legal is that off spec disc of yours for sanctioned events? :-D QC... Puke.