• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Had my first encounter with a Pro, is this normal?

CabMakio

Bogey Member
Went on a business trip this week and in my spare time visited some local courses where I was visiting

I've only been playing DG for about 6 months but have watched a lot of tournament coverage on youtube and at least know who most of the big name players are

On my second time playing in my visiting city, I noticed a well-known player. Not a top 5 player, but someone who I assume the vast majority of people on this forum would recognize. I didn't realize it at the time but apparently he is a local to that area

I probably wouldn't have even approached him, but there were a couple people speaking with him and he looked to be signing their discs. I'm in my 30's and kinda past the age of wanting autographs, but having never met a pro or even witnessed a sanctioned tournament, I said what the heck and walked over.

I introduced myself and told him I was a fan. He was friendly enough so i asked if he could sign one of my discs and he agreed. I handed over a driver and he said "Sorry, I only sign discs from *his sponsors name*". Kinda thought he was joking at first but he insisted he would not sign my disc and unfortunately I did not have any discs of his brand (had no clue who his sponsor was before this point). He did offer to sell me one of his used discs which he would sign, but I didn't have any cash

At first I was really surprised and maybe a little bit upset, but I guess it does make some business sense for him to not sign a competitors disc. I still think it would have been a cool piece of memorabilia though.

I realize these people are human and they don't owe me anything, but if I hadn't seen him signing someone else's disc I wouldn't have even approached him.

What does everyone else think? As I said, this was my first time meeting a pro, so maybe this behavior is completely standard and I should just get over it? Should he have signed my disc or am i being unreasonable?

I'm going to keep names and locations private in the spirit of an unbiased discussion and to not put anyone's feet to the fire

Seems like he was pretty polite about it. Depending on the sponsoring company, they could be strict or neutral on that policy. It's an understandable (but maybe not especially common) side of disc-signing. Amusingly, because many well-known players have changed sponsors in last couple of years, he might have signed that disc for you at another time.

Ron Russell signed two Innova discs back in the day; of mine. He had just busted up his hand; and I have the first two ever "off handed" signatures from Ron. :) Ken Climo afterward, signed one disc, but refused to sign the other; based on Ron having signed first! :) (First year Ken had been taken down as World Champ.) Rock Searle had two aces that day; and I had been playing near him and heard the hoopla. I had him sign those discs as well. He said that was the first time he had ever been asked for a signature! :) Those are two fun discs in the collection! Barry Schultz and Juliana Korver (Bower?) signatures on there as well! :) I believe there are a few more good sigs on those: Feldberg perhaps, Greenwell?

Last edited:
What a tool move. It is ****ing disc golf and he isnt worth ****.
#growthesportfakes
Who was it? :popcorn:

Last edited:
You didn't ask him to sign a Wolf, did you? I wouldn't dare put my name on one of those either. :|

Heard a funny story from a friend of mine. He was at the Pittsburgh Worlds and saw Dave Dunipace. They had a brief coversation that was interrupted when two kids walked up and asked him to sign their discs. They then proceeded to hand him their Buzzzs to sign. My friend said he chuckled, asked if the kids knew who he was and signed the discs anyway.

If Mr Innova can sign a Discraft, I'm thinking unnamed Pro could have signed a rival companies disc as well.

^exactly. Ive been told by mcbeth he can't throw xyz disc but a friend could which i totally understood but to sign something for a fan is complete BS.

As a kid going to NHRA races with my parents those guys never cared what the hell they signed i had jackets/hats/shirts etc full of signatures. They pull in much more vs DG $ and still are small time peeps really for what are considered "sports"

Last edited:
Total dick move. I always laugh when people give these people passes on things from rude behavior to taking weeks to ship a disc they demand to be paid on immediately because thy are so busy disc golfing. Really, busy playing a game 15 hours a day? There is a USPS in basically any town in the us.

These people put their pants on one leg at a time just like me, outside of the small disc golf world these people mean jack squat in the real world and outside a very few of them, they don't make more money than most of us, own homes, have a strong family life and have to mooch off of people to find places to stay every weekend. I know of one highly thought of pro whom raided my friends fridge and left the food wrappers on both the end table and counter.

I handed over a driver and he said "Sorry, I only sign discs from *his sponsors name*"...He did offer to sell me one of his used discs which he would sign...

What does everyone else think?

What a joker.

liz-lemon-eye-roll.gif

Heard a funny story from a friend of mine. He was at the Pittsburgh Worlds and saw Dave Dunipace. They had a brief coversation that was interrupted when two kids walked up and asked him to sign their discs. They then proceeded to hand him their Buzzzs to sign. My friend said he chuckled, asked if the kids knew who he was and signed the discs anyway.

If Mr Innova can sign a Discraft, I'm thinking unnamed Pro could have signed a rival companies disc as well.

LOL, now that's funny...and 100% agree.

So after a pro changes sponsors does the previous company recall all of their signature disc? One company came to mind immediately when reading your post.

We're all snowflakes, and snowflakes need cold. A nice campfire with everyone singing Kumbaya -- meh, we all seem the same.

We're all snowflakes, and snowflakes need cold. A nice campfire with everyone singing Kumbaya -- meh, we all seem the same.

No offense to you, but I look forward to the day that the stupid "special snowflake" trope melts into a puddle of who really cares juice.