• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Had my first encounter with a Pro, is this normal?

If he is prohibited by contract, it's completely understandable. If he is not prohibited by contract but refused because he feels a sense of loyalty to the company that pays him, also understandable. It doesn't seem like he was a dick about it, so IMO he deserves the benefit of the doubt. On a somewhat-related note, a friend of mine once asked Kirk Gibson for an autograph while Kirk was eating a sandwich and Kirk growled, "Kid, I'm eating a ****ing sandwich, get the **** out of here." Compared to that, it seems that your interaction with a pro athlete was pretty benign:)

These people put their pants on one leg at a time just like me, outside of the small disc golf world these people mean jack squat in the real world and outside a very few of them, they don't make more money than most of us, own homes, have a strong family life and have to mooch off of people to find places to stay every weekend. ...

Pro offered to sell a disc to the OP, but OP says he had no cash. You expect someone who has to mooch for a place to stay every weekend to do something that could jeopardize his meager existence.

For the record, I put my pants on both legs at a time.

I've known Will for a few years & I've never seen him not sign a disc because it wasn't Prodigy

Well, then good on him. Maybe it wasn't a Prodigy player then, if Will's able to sign a competitor's disc.

If it's was contractual I get it, but I probably would have just said that if it were me and offered to sign your Bag/hat whatever.

Not that anyone has asked for my autograph very often.

Haha, forgot you did real estate for a second.

In college we would do events with special needskids and boys and girls clubs, occasionally they would ask for autographs. Probably some baseballs with my name on them in te PIAS $.50 bin these days.

If its a top20 level pro, wouldn't such a person have of plenty of not needed discs to sign and give to the guy?... These guys get plenty of discs from the manufacturers.

Last edited:
Haha, forgot you did real estate for a second.

I was actually thinking about the purchase of my home. I signed loan documents until I thought I might need to switch hands, to avoid cramping.

But, leaving that digression, I'm surprised any pros sign enough autographs---outside of events like the USDGC---to even have a policy on it. I'm a little surprised that there are enough adult disc golfers who would want them to, to necessitate a signing policy. But I'd certainly respect their decision, whatever it is, assuming they're civil about it.

The big names are signing hundreds of discs a year, or more. Definitely enough to warrant a policy.

I remember hearing a story about a pro who's car broke down on his way to a tournament. He called his sponsor for some money to get the car fixed, and the sponsor refused. The next year the pro changed sponsors. Don't know if the story is true, but the sponsor was Innova.

I remember hearing a story about a pro who's car broke down on his way to a tournament. He called his sponsor for some money to get the car fixed, and the sponsor refused. The next year the pro changed sponsors. Don't know if the story is true, but the sponsor was Innova.

So you don't know if the story is true, but will still drag their name through the mud. Classy.

Furthermore, why is it the sponsor's obligation to pay for car repairs if it is not a part of their sponsorship agreement?

So you don't know if the story is true, but will still drag their name through the mud. Classy.

Furthermore, why is it the sponsor's obligation to pay for car repairs if it is not a part of their sponsorship agreement?

Well, the point was to illustrate that pros may have a reason to dislike previous sponsors, and the OP said the disc the pro refused to sign was Innova.

It isn't a question of right or wrong, it's a question of why.