• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hardest color disc to find

All those transparent dyes that feature heavily in red and green, I always see a guy looking and offer to help, "what are we looking for?" "Oh thanks, it's a tye dye champ Vulcan"

Green and that Shawdow color of some the the Ti discs is pretty darn bad too.

For me its green discs or orange discs. I like using pink, yellow or blue discs.

I was this way for a long time but found I lost a lot of transparent blue/pink discs compared to the lime green/yellow or very bright orange. Now real green and leafy orange suck but I have really become a fan of the yellow/green/dayglo/"chartreuse" and neon oranges.

Lots of blue and red trash too I notice which really sucks when you are looking for a disc and Oh nope just a can or wrapper :|

I was this way for a long time but found I lost a lot of transparent blue/pink discs compared to the lime green/yellow or very bright orange. Now real green and leafy orange suck but I have really become a fan of the yellow/green/dayglo/"chartreuse" and neon oranges.

Lots of blue and red trash too I notice which really sucks when you are looking for a disc and Oh nope just a can or wrapper :|

:thmbup:
Blue discs especially. "Hey there it is!" Nope, just a Bud Light/Miller Lite/Keystone/Pepsi can...

I myself find it ridiculous to use a Grass green disk where i live (Oregon), as most courses have lush green grass and green trees EVERYWHERE. :gross:

I do find it strange though that everyone says tie-dye. I bought a champ valk as one of my first early drivers just because i figured it would be easy to see. I've almost lost the thing 10 times+ from bad shots, but i always seem to find it. Maybe its because you just dont know exactly what color your looking for since it's all colors?

Do you remember that green proton you gave me? That was absolutely one of the easiest discs to find I ever had. It looked like a green stop light on the grass. I have not seen another green disc that is as easy to find as that Anode was.

My hardest disc to find is the JK pro Valkyrie I just got. The previous owner colored the entire back of the flight plate black. I also have a tie dye JK champ valk that is very difficult to locate. For me blue discs for some odd reason really pop out.

I myself find it ridiculous to use a Grass green disk where i live (Oregon), as most courses have lush green grass and green trees EVERYWHERE. :gross:

I do find it strange though that everyone says tie-dye. I bought a champ valk as one of my first early drivers just because i figured it would be easy to see. I've almost lost the thing 10 times+ from bad shots, but i always seem to find it. Maybe its because you just dont know exactly what color your looking for since it's all colors?

Leaves, in the woods here in the South it blends straight in with the leaves becuase there is often some red some green some orange etc.

Some of the Blue/Pink/Purple combos are better but there are some terrible ones out there.

i really dislike looking for lost plastic, just like everyone else.
so i can never understand why so many people buy these terrible colored discs.
how ever some colors look bright in the store, and then you get them out on the course and they really suck.
i bought the diamond in the last pic thinking it would be easier to see, but its terrible
i also love it when everyone gives me a hard time for carrying so much pink plastic.
most of my bag looks like this \/ \/ \/
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 057.jpg
    057.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 59
  • 2013-01-05_15-42-09_429.jpg
    2013-01-05_15-42-09_429.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 59
  • 2012-12-24_19-25-34_47.jpg
    2012-12-24_19-25-34_47.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 59
Does everyone else "tune" their eyes to the proper color when searching for a disc? Perhaps an eye scientist can tell us whether there is anything to that or not.

Does everyone else "tune" their eyes to the proper color when searching for a disc? Perhaps an eye scientist can tell us whether there is anything to that or not.

Yes, there is.

I have moderate colorbindness to red/green. In the fall, when I have a lost disc and people ask what color it is (yellow), people will say how difficult it is going to be to find, due to the disc blending in with the yellow fallen leaves.

Even though I do not see colors as well as other folks, this has lead me to distinguish other visual aspects more effectively. Consider the following:

In a study published in 1992, scientists flashed a pattern on a video monitor: a 30-by-30 grid of small rectangles, all of them oriented vertically except within a randomly located 7-by-7 "target area" where the rectangles were horizontal. Test participants were asked to press one of four buttons to indicate what quadrant of the screen the target area had appeared in. Some test participants had normal color vision, while others, so-called dichromats (I'll explain below), had severe colorblindness rendering them incapable of distinguishing red from green.

In the first trial, all the rectangles were the same color, and participants in both groups had little difficulty spotting the target. In the next trial, the rectangles were randomly colored red or green. This time around, those with normal color vision did poorly — all they saw in the brief time the pattern appeared (a fifth of a second) was a jumble of red and green.

The dichromats, on the other hand, kicked butt. Without color to distract them, they spotted the target as easily as with a monochrome pattern. The same held true when each target rectangle was replaced with a capital A while the background rectangles were replaced with Bs. Despite this conspicuous difference, randomly coloring the letters red or green completely flummoxed those with normal color vision. The dichromats, on the other hand, were unperturbed, picking out the target as effortlessly as before.

While not directly addressing your question, if feel this shows people do tune their eyes to certain colors. Or, at least, their eyes tune themselves.

Last edited:
There is also the shape. After unsuccessfully looking for a round object, I have to re-set my eyes to look for a disc that might be standing on its edge in tall grass.

Personally outside of clear, black, and Tye-die (which I have never thrown), I find dark red to be the hardest color to find - especially as it's getting dark. I think there's some science to this floating around out there.

Personally outside of clear, black, and Tye-die (which I have never thrown), I find dark red to be the hardest color to find - especially as it's getting dark. I think there's some science to this floating around out there.

Doctor Hannibal Lecktor:
"Have you ever seen blood in the moonlight, Will? It appears quite black."
Manhunter 1986