• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Westside] Hatchet, opinion and profile pic

SteezeOG

Dynamic Discs #1 Fanboi
I'll have to be brief I was busy this morning and I have to meet a friend at 1 for a round at the good old Peter Pan. Which will give me more time with the Hatchet!

Here's it on the left with a moonshine escape on the right. Obviously the Hatchet is going to be more understable right?

15duonb.jpg

If you said yes then you're right. In the hand it feels like a nice Saint/Escape hybrid. It's got a nice smooth dome that is neither flat or overly domey. Just enough to give you a full 6 rating on the glide. It has a lot of it. More than any Escape or Saint I've thrown and I've thrown a lot of those in the last couple years.

It's not a wind fighter it's not going to be for torque monkeys or guys who throw 500 feet with their putters. Unless they want a roller. For the mortal man though and people who like the Escape but want a beat up one with more glide out of the box this is your disc for sure.

I'm a big fan of the Escape and I carry 2-4 in my bag but this Hatchet instantly has a place. To me it's like a lucid escape that you hit trees with for a good solid year and then added more glide to it. It's really really long even for a short armer like me. I was nestling up closer to pins than I normally do and matching or exceeding the distance I get with even my Renegades which are a speed 11. It easily out did all my escapes in comparison and that's because of glide and the S flight it takes all the time.

I couldn't keep it straight except one throw that was in a tailwind and powered down. It went straight and had a little fade that time but all the others it just flips up and slowly turns right maybe thirty feet to fifty feet then comes sweeping back almost to center with an easy fade. Like clockwork it just repeated that line over and over.

In headwinds of course it wasn't so great but I did toss it in some calmer headwinds and cross winds and it didn't burn or roll on me. It takes some hyzer though. It also powers down even better than most because it still goes far.

This is me trying to be brief. It's a great disc and I was skeptical. I enjoy westside because it's Lat64 plastic but I find a lot of their molds don't adhere to the numbers and are similar to other Lat or DD molds I already carry. So I don't throw them or bag them a lot unless they are special or worthy. I never thought this would be anything but their version of the escape and it is but it's very special to me and has a big spot in my bag. I don't have to worry about breaking in escapes now I can just let it happen naturally and throw a hatchet too.

These go on sale late tonight or early tomorrow online. Available in TP and VIP plastic. For reference the one I threw was VIP at 171g in dayglow opaque yellow. Nice and grippy. I also have a 169g TP in sexy red for a backup. I imagine it's maybe a little flippier.

If you buy hatchets and don't ink them or like them and just do field work contact me via pm about buying them off you before you go to the marketplace please. :thmbup:

How does it hold when you throw it say... 75-85% with some hyzer? I'd like a disc I can drop the wing on, which will come up and fly straight or pan slightly right holding the line on the glide before finishing with minimal fade. It sounds like a positive from what you posted up, but... man I have so much trouble listening to other peoples' reviews, they're so rarely relevant to me. Personal experience always wins out. :p

I've been totally ignoring this mold, but now I'm intrigued.

Any comparisons to the Stag? It sounds like a faster Stag to me.

For reference, how far are you chucking these puppies to get the S flight you're describing?

The question that I've been itching to ask... how is it different from the Fury? The identical flight numbers have been gnawing at me.

The understable fairway driver market withinTrinity brands is surpassing saturation.... yes i'm being critical of my favorite company(s).

The question that I've been itching to ask... how is it different from the Fury? The identical flight numbers have been gnawing at me.

^^^ Nice avatar! Roger rocks...

Really like the Fury, but the disc I've been curious about in comparison to the Hatchet is the Valk. The Hatchet ratings would indicate more glide, which would be nice.

Trilogy molds have always been some of my favorite glidey/understable discs, so interested to see where this one nets out in the mix.

Just going by the flight ratings...
Valk - 9,4,-2,2
Hatchet - 9,6,-2,2

Haven't thrown a Hatchet, but will be picking one up soon.

How does it hold when you throw it say... 75-85% with some hyzer? I'd like a disc I can drop the wing on, which will come up and fly straight or pan slightly right holding the line on the glide before finishing with minimal fade. It sounds like a positive from what you posted up, but... man I have so much trouble listening to other peoples' reviews, they're so rarely relevant to me. Personal experience always wins out. :p

It does better for me not going full power unless it's a nice tailwind. It's not underworld flippy though. Yeah it's going to vary for everyone to how they throw so until they make a machine or I can get an adjustable arm I can only give my experience with it. Not many people I play with have picked them up yet either. They were more into the Sorcerer and Harp. It's a nice gradual turn though and very minimal fade. I can say that much at least and it should hold true for most people. People who torque and throw without hyzer will probably not appreciate what it is.

I've been totally ignoring this mold, but now I'm intrigued.

Any comparisons to the Stag? It sounds like a faster Stag to me.

For reference, how far are you chucking these puppies to get the S flight you're describing?

Similar speed I guess but more glide for sure on the hatchet. Less HSS and less LSS as well. I can see it pairing really well with either a Stag, Escape, or even Saint but if you have a beat up Saint that likes to flip you'll start to see overlap.

Anyone with a slower arm and who is seeking any bit of extra distance I think will enjoy it though. The extra glide and ability to take 75% throws and make them good is remarkable. I had a few today that slipped out of my fingers early and I got very little power behind. Where my escape would just hyzer out and stall in that situation for no distance the hatchet still flipped up and glided for a long way very slowly and had just a bit of fade.

So it's a Valk?

I only have experience with a champ and pro valk but even that pro never was so consistent and easy to throw and had no where near as much of a lofty slow penetrating glide. Not even close in that regard. I get nothing if they sell a disc to you and I don't do myself any favors by you having one in the bag but if I were to just dismiss it as a valkyrie it wouldn't be an honest review or opinion in my eyes. :thmbup:

Also it's more understable than a champ valk but not a great deal.

a valkyrie with more glide? did you throw one into orbit or something?

I wish I could have a cannon and do so but I can say that 6 glide rating is no joke. Sometimes I think it is but the hatchet, sorcerer, and witness all came out with a 6 for the glide rating and all three of them live up to it easily. They outglide any of the other Lat64 discs I've thrown including the diamond, river, jade, saint, escape, etc.

Shape in the hand is the biggest difference. I never liked how the fury felt. Too rounded on the edge. My own personal ratings of the fury are 8/5/-2/2 or close to it. For the Hatchet it easily meets it's numbers and I'd say you could call it even faster if you wanted. I'm getting as much out of it currently as I do the escape and renegade. Little more with the renegade in certain winds but on open and calm holes I can flip up the hatchet and just let it turn slowly and get even more distance. If you love the fury I'm not saying switch to the hatchet. Stick with want you like but if you get a chance to throw one of these do it. It might settle your internal debate with one throw.

The understable fairway driver market withinTrinity brands is surpassing saturation.... yes i'm being critical of my favorite company(s).

Does seem to be weird how the release are slated this year with the Jade then Witness at the same time as the Hatchet but you'll find later in the summer and as the year ends you'll be saying why are they releasing all these OS molds? It's the year of the driver I've been told.

Also has to be taken into consideration it's truly three separate companies even though a nickname has been created to lump them all as one. The harp isn't understable though! I got to check that out some but I didn't throw it. Just watched my playing partner. He's sticking it for approaches.

Thanks for all the info SteezeOG - been looking forward to this disc since it was announced, and your report has done nothing to dull the anticipation.

Something about throwing a Hatchet that just sounds so right.

Thanks for all the info SteezeOG - been looking forward to this disc since it was announced, and your report has done nothing to dull the anticipation.

Something about throwing a Hatchet that just sounds so right.

No problem. Part of me wishes I would have hated it. I have a lot of time and money invested in Escapes but this will pair nicely and I'll just have to make a little room for it. In the end it will help me lower scores so it's a fair trade I guess.

The friend I played with today was throwing his harp and kept confusing the two names. We both agreed that the Harp would've been the better name for the Hatchet and the Hatchet a better name for the Harp considering their flight. The harp is the OS stick in the ground approach disc and the hatchet is actually the smooth and melodic thrower of the two.

Picked up a light blue 168g Hatchet in Tournament plastic with red stamp while I was over at the DD store today, Steeze is dead on with everything he's said about this disc! I'm also a huge fan of the Escape and always have at least a couple in the bag, the Hatchet is going to pair very nicely with them and is going to kick my Saint's out of the bag. For me (max distance about 425') the Hatchet is a longer and more reliable/controllable Saint, I was hitting 400' on my best pulls with it doing a bit of field practice in the back acreage when I got home from Emporia. My only regret now is that I didn't get another one, although I normally prefer the feel of the Westside VIP plastic over TP, so my second one will probably be VIP.

Latest posts