• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Have you ever played Ultimate?

Ultimate and Age

• I'm over 50 and played Ultimate

Votes: 21 11.9%
  • I'm over 50 and did not play Ultimate

Votes: 18 10.2%
  • I'm over 40 and played Ultimate

Votes: 15 8.5%
  • I'm over 40 and did not play Ultimate

Votes: 16 9.1%
  • I'm over 30 and played Ultimate

Votes: 41 23.3%
  • I'm over 30 and did not play Ultimate

Votes: 22 12.5%
  • I'm over 20 and played Ultimate

Votes: 38 21.6%
  • I'm over 20 and did not play Ultimate

Votes: 5 2.8%

• Total voters
To be clear, the OP (me) meant have you ever played Ultimate in any capacity. Trying to gauge the game's penetration level. Guts gets you bonus points.

I've never played Ulti. I have, however, hosted a couple of coach certification clinics and have been certified to coach Ulti.

And the folks who attended those clinics got fed lots of homemade food and got to see the spectacle of a very, very large man run in drills.

Sort of.

30 years ago, my brothers and friends independently "invented" Ultimate---just as people "invented" disc golf, throwing Frisbees at targets---though we gave it another name. We were playing Frisbee Football---sort of touch football, with a Frisbee---and a little bored because people kept throwing short dump passes for a pass-&-run---so we decided to outlaw running after the catch. A few more tweaks, and we were playing Ultimate. Exactly.

And we played a hell of a lot, with these two variations:

(1) We'd seek out any odd field we could find, to make it more interesting. Parks, with trees to curve shots around or benches to use as picks. A baseball outfield, which made for an interestingly curved field where you could throw across OB, if you dared. Whatever.

(2) And with however many people we could gather at one time. 3-on-3 was my favorite. But you haven't run yourself to death until you play Ultimate 2-on-2. You'd throw a long bomb, and your #$**@! teammate would make a great catch, short of the goal, forcing you to spring the length of the field to take a pass from him.

Sadly, by the time I found out there was organized Ultimate, my knees were gone.

Played 'frisbee football' during a 6th grade camping trip back in the mid 80's.

Never played in college, but I think my dorm floor had an intramural team. Wish I had. I might be a better disc golfer today and might have found disc golf sooner.

over 50, played in college, sucked at it and decided to play punk rock instead. I'm a pretty lousy team player....

Good survey, PBokor!

Personally, I got exposed to ultimate shortly after I started playing catch with frisbees late in elementary school. Through high school and college, I continued to play when I could find good people playing and it jived with my schedule. The appeal was throwing frisbees, especially using different techniques. I was always a little out if my element when playing competively with the "force away!" or "three man cup" crowd. In addition, I very quickly discovered that not all discs are created equal. The Ultrastar became my favorite disc very quickly and it still has my respect.

Ultimate is one of the main reasons I started playing disc golf.

I can still throw an Ultrastar pretty far, its just all the running.

Especially with a plate and screws in one leg.

Over 50 never played Ultimate, but have played Guts.

17 and plays...?
I don't have an option
I played ultimate before disc golf, started the summer before 7th grade. I'm a junior in high school now so I reckon that's five years this summer. That's the main reason why I struggle with rounding in my DG form :(

We played tag football when high school age just using a Frisbee in place of a football.

Never played but conversations with the old guard reveal that many of them played "disc sports." Disc golf was just one of them. Read the definitive guide to disc golf, there are others, but all the old guys played Ultimate, guts, double disc court etc.

Won 3 world titles with team USA and another with my club team, The Keg Workers Of America. Also won 3 national championships with various club teams. I retired in 2010 after playing for over 30 years.

Never played but conversations with the old guard reveal that many of them played "disc sports." Disc golf was just one of them. Read the definitive guide to disc golf, there are others, but all the old guys played Ultimate, guts, double disc court etc.

Yes, we did. I started out in Ultimate but quickly took up golf and freestyle. I'd do the other disciplines at overall tourneys. In the late '70's/early '80's there were the old NAS tourneys that would focus on only two of the disciplines. Ulty wasn't one of them. You accumulated points to qualify for the Rose Bowl which was considered the world Frisbee chanmpionships

Was one of the founder of the local club in 1996. Played for like 15 years. Now I am old and roll a cart full of frisbees trough forests.

I only played ultimate back in high school during cross country skiing practice before we got enough snow to ski on.

First time was in pe class then just mostly pick up games with friends here and there.
My favorite version though was goaltimate. Same basic rules but Instead of an endzone you used soccer goals etc and the object was to throw, skip or roll the disc into the goal.

Sent from my Alcatel_6055U using Tapatalk

Is it just like non stop football where if the player catches it....he or she can move 3 steps. If dropped other teams turn?