• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Having a few rough online buying experiences lately...

Community Discs is great. Justin is true to his word. Fast shipping considering it's from the east coast.

DiscGolfCenter.com is my main online source. Usually 5 work days to DFW for shipping.

Disc Nation is the fastest to DFW and the service is great. It costs a little more, but it's fair value.

Marshall Street was a good experience. I usually don't buy multiples, so all of the above are a better fit for me.

Yeah, this was for a preorder on the Melon Proxys, and I just went with them cause I had points to spend.
I'm gonna have to be done after this one, though.

They had weights listed down to 162g to order, but word is that Axiom put it out there that most everything was going to be 170+
So they may have been advertising something they knew they weren't going to get.

The message I got was that they have something within a gram of what I ordered (I ordered 171g), but I'm just tired of all the extra effort at phone tag with them and the wondering if my order is going to be messed up (which, is something like an 80% error rate at this point)

Have never had any issue with discgolfcenter.com . I have had at least 40 transactions with them

Personally, I've only had good experiences with GGGT. I've ordered somewhere around 30-40 discs over the last few years, and haven't had a problem.

Disc Golf Center has been my go to for the past year. Always dependable. But, I had an issue the other day with the delivery. They used FedEx SmartPost which works with the USPS. The tracking number showed the hand off and USPS delivery to my mailbox. However, I never got the package - got the junk mail that day but no package. I went through the drill and contacted FedEx who referred me to USPS who said it was delivered (even though it might have been to a neighbor). I contacted DGC figuring since they were the vendor they might have some pull. After the second email Wade finally contacted me but wasn't much help. The problem, of course is USPS isn't dependable anymore. However, shouldn't the vendor guarantee delivery?

I like what DGC has to offer in selections, color and weight and I'm sure I'll return to them. I just have to take couple of deep breathes first and get over it, I guess.

Its up to the shipper to initiate an investigation on the shipment from their end.
If they do, USPS will have to step up and do something about it.
USPS is also possibly the most inept organization ever, though, so theres that to consider....

the DGU, or innova east store, gave me disc exactly the opposite I wanted. I'm bummed out, but their process of choosing discs sucks (you just put ranges of weights and colors with their backups) and you cross your fingers and hope for the best it worked out sometimes (happiness!), and this time it didn't (LAMENESS).

the DGU, or innova east store, gave me disc exactly the opposite I wanted. I'm bummed out, but their process of choosing discs sucks (you just put ranges of weights and colors with their backups) and you cross your fingers and hope for the best it worked out sometimes (happiness!), and this time it didn't (LAMENESS).

Yea, that's why I stopped dealing with stores that do that. It is not hard to keep an electronic inventory in 2015.

Bummer, I think these are just unfortunate coincidences.

Chalk it up to bad luck.

I find that certain Ebay dealers and Facebook dealers are pretty darn good. I have been lucky maybe

OP - Having a few rough online buying experiences lately…
*Solution - Try not to buy on line.
*Try to buy local, and support your local DG stores, course pro-shops, and economy.

*Try to buy local, and support your local DG stores, course pro-shops, and economy.

Yeah... if I want to buy anything yellow, white, or orange made by Innova, I'de be pretty set buying locally, lol.
Stock of other companies is extremely thin, and they get picked clean really quickly on anything interesting it seems.
One of the last times I was in I asked about Discmania and the guy behind the counter said, "Yeah, well, people don't seem to really be too into Discmania, so we don't really carry them."
Oh... REALLY? Okay then.

Honestly, the way my experiences have gone, its pretty much more like"a few rough experiences with Clearwater."
This will be the last time.
They did a preorder for melon proxy with the option to order specific weights as if they knew what they were getting, but after talking to them on the phone, they definitely had no idea.
I ended up having them send me a 164g and am giving it to my wife.

Not to many issues elsewhere purchasing online... other than forever hate for the USPS.

Last edited:

Other than pias, which is meh at best locally for me, there isn't any. It's got to be great to live someplace with a dedicated store, or a course large enough to have a pro-shop. I'm truly jealous.

Other than pias, which is meh at best locally for me, there isn't any. It's got to be great to live someplace with a dedicated store, or a course large enough to have a pro-shop. I'm truly jealous.

Yeah, Clearwater's brick and mortar shop actually is huge and looks awesome.
I'm sure if I lived in FL I'd love it.
But their shipping and online inventory control is a hot mess.

To the point of a good local shop, though, I could make an effort to drive to Dayton (Hazy Shade) or even Cinci, which I hear has a couple decent shops.
Road trip next time I'm in a buying mood isn't a bad idea at all.

Yea, that's why I stopped dealing with stores that do that. It is not hard to keep an electronic inventory in 2015.

Yep - I only shop at online stores where I can choose my exact color/weight combo. I don't like the guesswork involved in some of the other stores.

Yeah... if I want to buy anything yellow, white, or orange made by Innova, I'de be pretty set buying locally, lol.
Stock of other companies is extremely thin, and they get picked clean really quickly on anything interesting it seems.
One of the last times I was in I asked about Discmania and the guy behind the counter said, "Yeah, well, people don't seem to really be too into Discmania, so we don't really carry them."
Oh... REALLY? Okay then.

Not sure if we've been to the same Disc Golf Mart. The Trilogy selection on Riverside is rather extensive (probably better than Discraft if I were to hazard a guess)as well as MVP/Axiom and decent Vibram selection also. I'd imagine the Innova selection is pretty big since Innova has the most discs available of any manufacturer. Sure Discmania and Legacy may not be as extensive as some folks might want, but if people buy online instead of in the shop, then the person's comment of people not really being into Discmania would stand to reason.

I find it funny that people complain about a local shop and instead of supporting them and giving them a reason to carry your favorite brands, they whine and shop elsewhere. Meanwhile, the people who do shop there reinforce the shop's decisions to stock the companies that they do. Trilogy is the perfect example. I remember going in there a year or so ago looking to try some Lat64 stuff and the selection was limited. Plenty of Saints and Rivers, but not much else. I talked to the guy, mentioned my interest and apparently others did the same because now they keep the selection fairly well stocked. It's really not that hard of a concept to grasp.

I'm lucky to have a shop right in town that has a pretty good selection.

If they don't have what I want, DGCenter all the way. Selection, price, free shipping, can't go wrong, and the discount gets pretty interesting once you get to 4% and above.

Yeah, I'm not sure we are in the same store either...
The Innova has still got to be at least 60-70%.

And I have given them quite a bit of my business, but they consistently put out minimal effort.
I've repeatedly gone in to the Riverside location with specific disc needs and weights for my wife and they are just like "nope, don't have it" with zero offer or attempt to order me what I need.
Hell, I'm gonna wait to order it online anyway, so what do I care if it takes a minute to get it in locally, but I'm not going to take your hand and put it in my wallet for you, ya know?

For the record, I asked the clerk if they had any Discmania, and he told me what I said above.
Who cares what other people are saying... I'm there to BUY. Why would you dis something I want to pay you for?
However... they DID have Discmania, cause I was back in the store like 2 weeks later and they were there... he just didn't even bother to point out to me where they were!

I also just bought an Axiom from the Refugee Rd shop last week, and the kid would barely speak to me, just point.
they had like 10 discs total, or I would have bough a Tangent, too, but got quickly turned off by his attitude.
I did ask about Discmania and he said they didn't sell it.
Then asked me what I wanted. I said I was looking for a TD.
He said "Oh, we only have DDs" (end of conversation)
Wait... I thought you didn't carry Discmania here...?
No explanation, no offer to order one, no discussion about maybe another disc with similar properties, don't even show me where they are hiding the DDs, nothing.

It used to be different when I was able to interact with the owner more, but he is there less, and his employees are sub par in customer service. If I was him, commission would be an option I considered.

Cause, in the end, its cheaper, faster, and less hassle to order online and get what I need.
I can get actual answers to how a disc flys on site like Infinite discs, read reviews, quick links to plastic types, etc.
There is little person to person interaction at that store, even when I make a concerted effort to do so.
I've even tossed them softball questions I know the answer to to test what kind of info they are going to give me, and its always disappointing.

You have to be engaging and invested in your customers experience if you want to keep up with the ease of online buying.
Its not my job to earn you a living, its yours to give me a reason to give you my money.
I ran a multimillion dollar retail location in town for may years, and before that was one of the company's top salesmen.
Its not even hard to get people to buy and excited about luxury items like sporting goods.

Honestly, I get a feeling of depression and resignation when I go in there from anyone other than the owner.
I mean, hell, this is one of the nerdiest sports on earth, all we want to do is talk shop about it and a gentle arm twist is all it takes to get me to buy.

But... I also didn't mention them by name for a reason.
And I'm no whiner for going elsewhere when they don't have what I need/want or are motivated to help me find it.
But I still give them business on a regular basis... or at least try.
Sheesh, man.

Yeah, we're definitely not shopping at the same place. I've always had good conversations with the two guys at Riverside, they're both knowledgeable and friendly. I've never been to Pickerington though. Who knows, maybe you smell funny or something.

Latest posts