• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Headed to Phoenix!

Billy K2

Par Member
Hey everyone! This March I'll be taking a trip down to Phoenix for some baseball spring training, and I thought I would check out a few courses. What are the must play courses within 20-30 minutes from Phoenix? I know Arizona isn't a very good disc golf state, but I know of a few good courses down there. Thanks!

I wasn't overly fond of the Vista del Camino course on my last visit to Phoenix. The course was seemingly designed so that you either lose you disc over a fence or in the water, which is regularly sifted through by locals and sold to the pro shop nearby. Guess who designed the layout.....the guy that owns the pro shop

I wasn't overly fond of the Vista del Camino course on my last visit to Phoenix. The course was seemingly designed so that you either lose you disc over a fence or in the water, which is regularly sifted through by locals and sold to the pro shop nearby. Guess who designed the layout.....the guy that owns the pro shop

Wow, brilliant response. It was totally designed so that you will purposely lose discs. :doh:

Most of the holes are fairly easy hyzers. If you are throwing over the fence then you can't throw a proper hyzer. I've played this course countless times and rarely throw it in the water. By the way, the water is knee deep in most areas so you can pretty much walk in and get it.

Hey everyone! This March I'll be taking a trip down to Phoenix for some baseball spring training, and I thought I would check out a few courses. What are the must play courses within 20-30 minutes from Phoenix? I know Arizona isn't a very good disc golf state, but I know of a few good courses down there. Thanks!

Definitely play Fountain Hills, Vista Del Camino, and Buffalo Ridge (27 hole desert style) at the very least. If time allows try Red Mountain and hopefully the new course over by the Cardinals stadium will be complete. That one should feature several par 4's as it will,be lengthy.

I don't know what to say to that other than I calls them as I sees them. The baskets are pretty much either orientated at the perimeter of the park, which are lined with fences that feature no trespassing signs or trespassers with be prosecuted signs OR are death putts facing water deeper than 5 ft

I don't know what to say to that other than I calls them as I sees them. The baskets are pretty much either orientated at the perimeter of the park, which are lined with fences that feature no trespassing signs or trespassers with be prosecuted signs OR are death putts facing water deeper than 5 ft

All in all, I will agree with you.. it's not a great course design, nor a great space to put one (for modern disc golf), and the park it is in has too much traffic. It's not a course I drive to Phoenix to play, sort of like every course in Tucson.. I wouldn't drive here just to play them.

I'd do Moeur Park over Vista (and do), otherwise Buffalo Ridge (all 27), probably Fountain Hills, and Red Mountain (North is better IMO). Then again, I don't get all excited about course length. A wide open long course is far more boring to me than a course that requires some thought and shot shaping/placement.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help everyone. Fountain Hills and Buffalo Ridge look like my top 2, and I'll definitely check out a few others, including Vista and Red Mountain if I have enough time. Thanks again!

the easy ones to get to and play in Scottsdale and phoenix are vista, buffalo, and fountain. in mesa the longer course is fiesta lakes, and the shorter course is emerald park. emerald is more straight forward park golf with little water and OB. Really popular with the locals. Fiesta is a disc golf course on a 9 hole ball golf course. lots of big old trees and a few cool man made lakes. also you get to throw down nice green fairways! Down side is that is either $8 or $6 to play. still not a bad price. Another option in mesa is the red mountain complex. they have 2 courses there, north and south. north is longer with some par 4's, and the south is all par 3's. They only reason i dont recommend it off the bat is that it is a bit further out that the rest of the courses(except fountain, but fountain is a must). if i recommend you check out 3 courses it would be fiesta, vista or emerald, and fountain. One thing i really recommend is to get a disc retriever if you are going to play any of the courses with water( fountain, vista, emerald, or fiesta). They are only 20 bucks and will probably save you a disc or two while you are here if you play those courses and are not fully on target.

Heading out in March as well, to piggyback off this a little bit...which course would be best suited for a newer player. I myself have only been playing less than a year, and I might have some family tagging along, meaning the course can't be too grueling physically.

Has anyone played Community DGC in Fountain Hills? It looks like it would be a good, fun, shorter course with some nice scenery for family to tag along. No reviews on here though

Los Olivos was flat. It was pretty interesting playing though the old olive orchard and would be an easy walk.

Last edited:
One more thing and I'll shut up. One day while we are there we will be heading out to see the Grand Canyon. Is there anything notable disc golf wise along the way from Phoenix?