• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Headwind Distance Driver

bsnone

Par Member
So I've been rotating Wraiths through the bag and they've served me well as a distance drive - they fit well in my hand and I'm confident with the throw. However, a headwind fighter they are not. I'm looking to fill a spot in the bag for those days when the wind blows 20+ and you need a distance disc that will not flip over.

Here's what I'm thinking and I'd like some feedback - I like a smaller rim so I'd prefer to stay speed 10/11 but would venture to 12 if it's the best idea...

Innova TeeRex
Innova Xcal
Lat 64 Villian
DD Enforcer
Discraft Force

Any opinions? Thoughts on different plastics? Other options? Thought about the Monster perhaps but wondering if that isn't too similar to my 11x flat Firebirds...

I've been throwing the Axiom Wrath with FANTASTIC results in headwinds.

It is a stout driver for any/all conditions.

I use Star Destroyers in the wind. It may not be the best option but they work for me. For what its worth I use them to compliment a Lace for distance and Valkyrie for fairway, and both of those will flip and turn in a headwind for me. I think it may be on the wide side of you preference, but I'd say its worth a look.

My first thought is Axiom Wrath. Great in a headwind without being crazy OS. You might also look at a Boatman. For being so domey, they really hold up in a headwind.

I throw Destroyers for the distance spot, but, when winds get to 20+mph, I throw a PD2 in the bag. It works great.

Discmania DD. It's a wraith wing. It's basically a wraith without the turn. It's a beaut.

Xcal or PD2. They will turn once they break in, but they ALWAYS come back, even in a headwind

Xcal or PD2. They will turn once they break in, but they ALWAYS come back, even in a headwind

Yep, exactly. I use a beat champ XCal and it will turn a bit but still come back. I bet it would be significantly more beefy if it were fresher. Destroyer is an option but there's so much variability that you could get one that's beefier than an XCal or has turn out of the box.

How far are you throwing the Wraiths, OP? Going up in speed may not be a bad thing for the headwind as long as you can get used to the rim.

Also, I saw Giant mentioned...how does it compare to an XCal or middle of the road star Destroyer? I've only thrown one a couple of times in calm and it flew fairly XCal-like, as in HSS 0 straight to fade...and I've thrown beefcake Destroyers that were HSS = +.

Discmania DD sure sure.
But a beefy PD makes an excellent windy day distance disc as well, with a smaller rim and better control.

Teerex is the natural overstable compliment to the Wraith. Back when the Wraith was the fastest/longest disc out there, I always kept a fresh Teerex or Teerex-X in the bag for headwinds. That's your best bet if you want something very close in feel to your Wraiths. A DD might also work just based on the flight chart, but I've never thrown one.

If you don't mind stepping up in rim width: the next best complement from the Innova family is a Destroyer, or on the more extreme end a PD2 or XCal (as others have mentioned).

Destroyers kicked Teerex's out of my bag when they first came out. Eventually beat-up destroyers replaced my Wraiths too.

The Giant works really well for more distance type shots.

The enforcer works really well for me when I'm scared that a giant might flip over.

The biofuzion enforcer's throw like those old first run star destroyers that were super fast overstable, and had some d.

For your speed 10/11 I don't know what would actually work though (MAYBE I SHOULDN'T HAVE CHIMED IN).

Really depends on the wraith :)

Generally speaking, I can usually expect either a Pro or the Echo star to go 320-350, on a big flex line in the right wind, I can get the Echo Stars out to 375+ but it isn't normal. The Augusta used to handle headwind duty only but it has beaten in I think to a point beyond that - I'd guess that disc goes similar to the Pros - 320 to 350.

(here's where everyone now tells me to just throw eagles until I can throw them 350)

Yep, exactly. I use a beat champ XCal and it will turn a bit but still come back. I bet it would be significantly more beefy if it were fresher. Destroyer is an option but there's so much variability that you could get one that's beefier than an XCal or has turn out of the box.

How far are you throwing the Wraiths, OP? Going up in speed may not be a bad thing for the headwind as long as you can get used to the rim.

Also, I saw Giant mentioned...how does it compare to an XCal or middle of the road star Destroyer? I've only thrown one a couple of times in calm and it flew fairly XCal-like, as in HSS 0 straight to fade...and I've thrown beefcake Destroyers that were HSS = +.

Get a DD man!! Discmania's Wraith, it's more stable. My pro lines don't even have a hint of turn at ~450' of power. Get an s line if you want it for wind.

At that distance what about a Champ Wraith then? I'm not a Wraith thrower but I know a guy who throws Pro Wraiths far on hyzer flips and his fresher champ Wraiths are real stable comparatively, he definitely uses them for hyzers.

I also haven't thrown a DD but from video they look stable as well.

The beefcake stuff like Xcal and PD2 would perhaps be more utility OS unless you're getting the Wraiths 350-375' on line drives often.

Latest posts