• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Headwind fighting disc?

Champ banshee, great overstable wind fight when brand new. Then they beat into a great stable fairway driver. Really bummed I lost mine.

If the beast is your mold, you can probably find a super OS beast out there.

Thank God that Innova is so inconsistent, eh?

I agree with this. My go-to distance driver is the Star Wraith. I carry 4 in the bag depending on the shot. I just picked up a bottom stamp Wraith that fights headwinds very well. If you are comfortable with the feeling of your disc pickup a few more and test them out. If none of them work out im sure you can sell them on the MP.

You know If you got a Predator it would do better for you.

lol. I'm sorry man I just had to say that. :D

Aren't Predators Discraft? So solly but I do not throw any of their stuff. Got rid of the rest I had right after they released the Heisenberg Crank. Just a matter of personal opinion. Not a company I choose to support any longer.

I agree with this. My go-to distance driver is the Star Wraith. I carry 4 in the bag depending on the shot. I just picked up a bottom stamp Wraith that fights headwinds very well. If you are comfortable with the feeling of your disc pickup a few more and test them out. If none of them work out im sure you can sell them on the MP.

The Wraith is my most consistent long distance driver too and I carry 4 (with wind)' The most stable is max star dropping down on weight to most understable blizzard 146g. If no wind, I leave the most stable behind.

You know If you got a Predator it would do better for you.

lol. I'm sorry man I just had to say that. :D

Tell me of this Predator. Never thrown one & I love Discraft. It's easier to throw than the Firebird right? Possibly between Teebird and Firebird?

MVP resistor. Laughs at wind but very controllable.

Faster always better over more OSthough. No putter or mid excels like a driver for OS shots in true headwinds.

Champ banshee, great overstable wind fight when brand new. Then they beat into a great stable fairway driver. Really bummed I lost mine.

I used to throw Banshees, now I throw Resistors. Resistor is slightly less beefy than a Champ Banshee while being equally sturdy in the wind, which is why I prefer it. Either'll do the trick, though.

I used to throw Banshees, now I throw Resistors. Resistor is slightly less beefy than a Champ Banshee while being equally sturdy in the wind, which is why I prefer it. Either'll do the trick, though.

Guess I'll have to try a Resistor out.

Aren't Predators Discraft? So solly but I do not throw any of their stuff. Got rid of the rest I had right after they released the Heisenberg Crank. Just a matter of personal opinion. Not a company I choose to support any longer.

why?

since im here...on the same recycled thread. firebird, monster, max, flick, predator, xxx, tsunami, wraith, c-pd. max weight. speed will cut through wind better. premium plastic so the stability holds up. that was easy any more questions?

MVP resistor. Laughs at wind but very controllable.

Faster always better over more OSthough. No putter or mid excels like a driver for OS shots in true headwinds.

Jumping in on this, especially if you're looking for more control than distance. The resistor is a legitimately great OS fairway driver that I've thrown in the strongest of winds without it having any problems and not being too much of a meat hook

I've had success with these:
Discraft - Z Flash, FLX Surge SS ( both 174)
Discmania - DD Hysteria
Innova - XCal, Firebird
Prodigy - D1
I love my DGA Proline Squall for midrange in the wind

Headwind tends to exaggerate the disc's turn. Also, a faster disc will respond better, because its like throwing the disc harder. In an airplane, ground speed and airspeed aren't the same. If you fly 200 knots through a 180 knot headwind, thats only 20 knots relative to the ground. Using the treadmill analogy, you have to run faster as the belt speeds up. You need something that can keep up.

when i fight a headwind i want two things - one, a more aerodynamic disc to compensate for the wind resistance (in other words a higher speed disc) so i don't have to throw harder, and two, more OS.

I would add to this a flat top and stiff plastic.

I have a 4th run CE Valk that is pancake flat, FL-ish on stability, and almost impossible to flex. It flies the same into a killer headwind as it does with no wind at all.

Basically, it laughs at wind.

iirc it had something to do with the crank and the stamp alluding to drug reference.. Which is totally not good for the advancement of the sport :popcorn:

Predators are amazing. I have a beat 170 that is between teebird and eagle x stability and is just straight while flying into a headwind. And a 174 that will fade strong if the wind is crazy and I still need fade.

Feldberg had a segment where he talks about throwing a neutral disc with hyzer at about 60-70% and they just go right through the headwind. I think he was referencing a TL.

It seems counter intuitive, but headwind makes a disc "fly faster". So you throw something neutral at a lower speed, so the headwind in essence just makes it seem to fly at full power, like it would in no wind.

I would not recommend this on over 15 mph headwind.

If it's not the pred, I throw a newish max weight opto striker. Very straight.

Or throw a faster disc than you might normally range with and/or get up to speed in the first place. The wind resistance will knock the range back equivalent to a disc speed or two slower.

I know it's been mentioned already but a pd or a firebird is money in the wind. That's what I use backhand and forehand, and I have no complaints.