• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Heat

I just got a production 174g z heat, and found it to be too stable for rolling duties. Was really hoping that it would work from all the rave reviews of it, but unless I got some weird one off not sure if this mold is what I'd be looking for in a roller disc. For reference, I roll with max weight Icon Mongoose normally.

I think my Big Z Heat could be turned into a turn and burn roller pretty quickly. I shelved it b/c if I rolled my wrist over at all it would drift uncontrollably away. I had the opposite problem, I was trying to replace my first Heat that was dead neutral, like a beat Z Comet in driver form. I don't know what plastic it was b/c it was a tourney stamp but I'm guessing it was a Z. :\

Can someone comment on the relative stability of the lower-end Heats?

I'm thinking:

Pro D < Elite X < ESP or Ti???

Can someone comment on the relative stability of the lower-end Heats?

I'm thinking:

Pro D < Elite X < ESP or Ti???

Sorry, don't really have a comparison at the moment, but I've got a Z coming in the mail soon. So far I've only thrown X and it bombs in a very controllable manner, although it is fairly understable. I'm throwing it about 350'. If I release it flat it will turn right the entire time unless I have a tailwind. I normally will hyzer-flip it to either a straight shot or a bit of an S-shot.

Although, I did just lose one throwing into a headwind. I thought if I put enough hyzer on it, it wouldn't flip completely over. I was wrong. It went about 200' off course into irretrievable rough.

I think my Big Z Heat could be turned into a turn and burn roller pretty quickly. I shelved it b/c if I rolled my wrist over at all it would drift uncontrollably away. I had the opposite problem, I was trying to replace my first Heat that was dead neutral, like a beat Z Comet in driver form. I don't know what plastic it was b/c it was a tourney stamp but I'm guessing it was a Z. :\

Bought a domey, heavy Z on a whim and yeah, wonderfully straight like my first Heat was. Really a fantastic driver for my power level. Gives me a lot of confidence to attack wooded holes with b/c you can really dial in the straightness like a mid. It's very Z Comet in control driver form. Instead of trying to beat in a S-PD or worrying about replacing my P-PD I think I'm gonna bag my Z and Big Z Heats to see if either can fill the "no fade/roller PD" spot.

if you want a x heat that will last longer pick up a dga proline sail. In the hand can't tell them apart from a heat.

if you want a x heat that will last longer pick up a dga proline sail. In the hand can't tell them apart from a heat.

Or buy Prodiscus FLIPPERi in Ultrium plastic. Maybe little more stable than Heat. It's a beautifull flyer and easy to throw.

I love and bag a Proline Sail, but it has a different hand feel then the Heat. Personally, I like the Sail better, but that will vary by person.
The Sail is more understable, by a good margin, than the Heat, as well.

I had been given a Z Heat by a friend who has very low power and couldn't get it to fly right, and I threw it around a bit and really liked it, but not enough to bag. I use the Stag for the same shots.

So another friend who throws a Mamba typically had lost his favorite one that he's throw for 5 years and I go great the Heat for him to try. He has moderately low power, and 300ft with the Mamba was good for him. The Heat is a very straight floaty 275-310 for him and he has loved it.

Good disc, dragon looks cool too.

I love and bag a Proline Sail, but it has a different hand feel then the Heat. Personally, I like the Sail better, but that will vary by person.
The Sail is more understable, by a good margin, than the Heat, as well.
I was comparing the Sail to the X heat not the z or other premium plastics. I agree the sail is less stable then the even a brand new x heat but a few tree hit and the x heat flies like a sail.

If I didn't have such a big stack of avenger ss's i would be bagging the heat sail combo.

Threw my 171g esp heat a bit today. Super flippy, I don't know if thats normal or if I just was giving too much oat. Thrown about 300' it would get late turn and just hold it to the ground. Even if I released it with a decent amount of hyzer.

Threw my 171g esp heat a bit today. Super flippy, I don't know if thats normal or if I just was giving too much oat. Thrown about 300' it would get late turn and just hold it to the ground. Even if I released it with a decent amount of hyzer.

Sounds like you have a flippy one. My Heat is a Z FLX and it will hold flat well past 350'. I can obviously torque it over if I want, but I won't call the thing super flippy. Floatiest disc ever. Very easy distance. Absolutely not a headwind disc though.

Sounds like you have a flippy one. My Heat is a Z FLX and it will hold flat well past 350'. I can obviously torque it over if I want, but I won't call the thing super flippy. Floatiest disc ever. Very easy distance. Absolutely not a headwind disc though.

I've actually got a Z FLX on the way! Hopefully it'll be a little more like what you describe.

I've actually got a Z FLX on the way! Hopefully it'll be a little more like what you describe.

Really gorgeous flier. I've messed around with the Z FLX Heat on the course a time or two. I don't really have a need for it in the bag, but I enjoy throwing it. Very straight flights, massive glide. Impressive distance. Very good disc for finesse and powered down shots. Even powered down the Heat won't stall out and fade hard.

So if I'm looking for something to replace my PFN Champ SW, which Heat makes the best and most consistent roller?

So if I'm looking for something to replace my PFN Champ SW, which Heat makes the best and most consistent roller?

I've thrown a couple champ SW's that were incredibly stable- as in didn't burn on a 400'+ forehand. How's yours fly?

Picked up a Z Heat this summer because it was too pretty to pass up and I wanted to try one. It has an Am Worlds stamp and is surprisingly stable. I can't roll it with my weak backhand. And even though my forehand isn't either as strong or as clean as it used to be, this particular Heat is usable for finesse forehands in the woods.

I've thrown a couple champ SW's that were incredibly stable- as in didn't burn on a 400'+ forehand. How's yours fly?

Picked up a Z Heat this summer because it was too pretty to pass up and I wanted to try one. It has an Am Worlds stamp and is surprisingly stable. I can't roll it with my weak backhand. And even though my forehand isn't either as strong or as clean as it used to be, this particular Heat is usable for finesse forehands in the woods.

Mine is at least as flippy as the -3,1 numbers indicate. I can finesse it, but it really excels as a roller. I have nothing between it and my freshish Champ ThB and I really should. Anything over 300' and its got some serious turn.

I suspect that dome has a lot to do with Heat stability. I've had two Z's that had nice dome and they were wonderfully neutral stable, sound a lot like twmmcoy's Z FLX. The flattish Big Z I've got is much touchier and a lot more like a Turn: -2 or -3, Fade: 1.

Yes my Z heat is my workhorse, you can hyzerflip it with more power, or throw it flat and it wont burn out on you. I use a real beat up X heat for my roller duties, easier to lay down with less torque.

Latest posts