• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Heat

I suspect that dome has a lot to do with Heat stability. I've had two Z's that had nice dome and they were wonderfully neutral stable, sound a lot like twmmcoy's Z FLX. The flattish Big Z I've got is much touchier and a lot more like a Turn: -2 or -3, Fade: 1.

I've only thrown my FLX Z Heat. I have a couple others around somewhere I should try.

The one I threw is about 9, 6, -2, 1. It actually reminds me of a shorter Shryke. Very floaty disc. Legit 6 glide. It WILL turn and burn if I throw into headwinds or with too much torque. That said, it's a really nice, neutral speed 9 driver. It gets a little touchy over 350'. For those shots I'd probably move up to a Thunderbird or Teebird.

The Heat does better on smooth 60-70% releases. Its a great finesse driver. It'll float over 300' with the flick of a wrist.

I have a first run Z Heat I bought a few years back when they first came out and it is still stable to slightly over and I use it quite a bit.

Next to my rattler, this is my favorite disc, hands down. I can throw one of my most reliable long shots with it (FH hyzer flip), but at the same time, I can also throw a consistent BH anny with this disc. And the glide on this disc allows for weak throws (for whatever reason) to grab that extra bit of hang time and still correct for a nice straight result. It was the first disc I had success with after moving up from midranges and carries a special place in my bag

Next to my rattler, this is my favorite disc, hands down. I can throw one of my most reliable long shots with it (FH hyzer flip), but at the same time, I can also throw a consistent BH anny with this disc. And the glide on this disc allows for weak throws (for whatever reason) to grab that extra bit of hang time and still correct for a nice straight result. It was the first disc I had success with after moving up from midranges and carries a special place in my bag

Yeah, the Heat will definitely do well on anny lines. It has so little low speed fade that it will hold an anny for a LOOONNGGGG time.

I agree it also works well on hyzerflips. The only time I run into trouble with the Heat is when it gets pushed around by breezes. The disc is so floaty that its prone to getting pushed off line by even the softest breeze.

I still think its an underrated driver. Surprisingly long for a speed 9 and it doesn't take much arm to throw effectively.

If you love the Heat but want something a hair shorter, try a Zombee. Very mellow flier. Same line though.

I haven't seen much action on this thread for a while... I fondled a Sting a while back and was wondering if any of you "heat" throwers have swapped for a Sting.. They sound pretty similar.

Sting replaced my Vamp(which replaced my Hatchet); the Heat, my Inertia. There is quite a big difference between the Heat and the Sting.

Inertia is still the best flying distance driver... but I cant find a firm N replacement from my first run Stormtrooper.
Z Heat is made of better plastic than current N

Last edited:
Sting replaced my Vamp(which replaced my Hatchet); the Heat, my Inertia. There is quite a big difference between the Heat and the Sting.

Inertia is still the best flying distance driver... but I cant find a firm N replacement from my first run Stormtrooper.
Z Heat is made of better plastic than current N

Interesting I'm not sure if I'm into an Inertia clone, mine are FR's, thanks for the tip.. kind of wondering about something less stable, or the usual magic disc that somehow adds 50'-100' haha. I saw that some people were liking it as a Comet kinda driver..

Last edited:
Interesting I'm not sure if I'm into an Inertia clone, mine are FR's, thanks for the tip.. kind of wondering about something less stable, or the usual magic disc that somehow adds 50'-100' haha. I saw that some people were liking it as a Comet kinda driver..

I wish I had known to snatch up more FR Inertias.....sigh. live and learn.
The Heat is not a clone though. More glide but flies 'slower'. A little more affected by the wind but powered down better. Same but different.
Magic distance disc... Proline Sail... if you can hit the right hyzer flip line at least. Otherwise it's going flip city...

Last edited:
Ive got a beat to hell X heat that is my BH roller / woodsy short tomahawk Disc.

Z heat for more stability (but still flippy for power drives) steep hyzerflips or thrown hard and flat for long panning annys.

Basically a comet in driver form! But perhaps a bit more touchy at times. The mantis is a slightly slower / beefier version of the heat in my mind.

FWIW I wouldn't hesitate to get another Z FLX. Sounds like it's maybe a little more stable than reg Z or X. But still great glide and not OS. I love it.

I might have to try a different Heat. I have a Big Z (under 170gm), and just don't love it. I can't put my finger on it, it just doesn't seem to work very well.

I have a Sail and like it a lot, but it's gotten almost too under-stable even for me (I think it's 157gm). Comets: I love 'em all. My go to driver right now is a Z Mantis (167gm). Even the ESP Cyclone is awesome. But I just can't stand the Heat.

I'll give it another try, and will keep my eye out for another one to test....

FWIW I wouldn't hesitate to get another Z FLX. Sounds like it's maybe a little more stable than reg Z or X. But still great glide and not OS. I love it.

A Z FLX Heat is a great driver. It WILL turn and burn, but only if you get overly aggressive. I found that mine would turn, but come back gradually late in flight. Very nice, glidey disc for shots out to about 375'. Almost no late fade either. Very floaty and straight.

I haven't tried any other iteration of the Heat, but I reckon they'd be flippier. Usually Z FLX is pretty beefy plastic.

Picked up a 174g Z Heat. Impressed with glide and stability. I thought it was going to turn and burn, but it powers down nice for a straight to baby fade shot. Or I can give it a rip and it will be a nice big S curve. I can get it out about 330 feet with my power. It's basically a faster mantis for me ( I have a big Z mantis ).

How will the DGA Sail compare to a Z Heat?

The Sail is a LOT flippier. Domier and weirder feeling in the hand too.

I'd put the Sail at -5 high speed turn. It will burn into the ground with little effort. The Sail is a disc for soft finesse drives. It can't handle much arm. The Heat doesn't have nearly as much high speed turn as the Sail.

Sail: 8, 6, -5, 1
Heat: 9, 6, -2, 1

Neither disc has much late fade at all.

The Sail is a LOT flippier. Domier and weirder feeling in the hand too.

I'd put the Sail at -5 high speed turn. It will burn into the ground with little effort. The Sail is a disc for soft finesse drives. It can't handle much arm. The Heat doesn't have nearly as much high speed turn as the Sail.

Sail: 8, 6, -5, 1
Heat: 9, 6, -2, 1

Neither disc has much late fade at all.

Wow so it´s THAT US

Liking my Heats but i find it hard to find "the good ones" . . i have 2x Z-FLX and 3xZ-Dye and one of the Z-Dyes have that nice 9, 6, -2, 1 flight. . the other ones are more US

The Z-FLX ones are so soft that the dome does not really hold it´s shape

Wow so it´s THAT US

Liking my Heats but i find it hard to find "the good ones" . . i have 2x Z-FLX and 3xZ-Dye and one of the Z-Dyes have that nice 9, 6, -2, 1 flight. . the other ones are more US

The Z-FLX ones are so soft that the dome does not really hold it´s shape

Yeah, the Sail is quite a bit flippier than a Heat. I think its made for guys who throw maybe a hair over 300'. Any more than that and the Sail will flip bad.

I didn't have a whole lot of luck with the Sail. I had to take too much off the throw to keep the disc flat.

I'm not a fan of FLX plastic (ESP or Z). However, I do like the Z FLX Heat. It holds up to full rips well without bending too far right.

Latest posts