• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

hello and a dumb question

readmedottext

After reading this site for awhile I'm going to crawl out from the woodwork.

I've been using LHBH for a long time, and only recently started working on sidearm.

I have a question, is sidearm throw the same as the forehand throw? I think the answer is yes, but I am just curious if there is actually a difference.

I have heard Texicans call them a chicken wing.
Whenever I hear "chicken wing" I think of an "inverted forehand" where you hold the disc kind of like a thumber but throw it forehand with the disc oriented like you would for a normal throw. It flies like a sidearm but it's harder to throw and get distance out of and it seems like there would be a potential for injury. It's great for ulitmate, though.

• Sidearm
  • Forehand
  • Chicken-wing
  • Flick
All are common terms for the same throwing motion in the Houston area.

I haven't heard the term "finger pop" used yet.

ERic

The one called "Overhand" in this link:

http://www.frisbee.co.il/englishversion/guide/BasicThrows.htm

Is what I'm talking about for Chicken Wing.

I've never known what to call the one called Chicken Wing from that link, though. I've used it before when I've caught the disc like that and wanted to get rid of it really fast, though. IMO, neither of those throws have much, if any, use in disc golf.

I could be wrong, but I think originally, the sidearm was throw with the palm down and the disc was gripped with the thumb under the rim and the fingers on top of the plate, and the disc spins in counter clockwise for right hand throwers.

Similar to this:
100px-Frisbee-waffle-top.jpg
75px-Frisbee-waffle-bottom.jpg

Where as the forehand is the opposite. The palm is up and the fingers are under the rim and thumb is on top of the plate, but still spins counter clockwise for right hand throwers.

Similar to this:
100px-Frisbee-forehand-top.jpg
100px-Frisbee-forehand-bottom.jpg

Any other old school stylers or ultimate players remember this too?

the scoober is thrown with the same grip as the forehand pictured above but the release point for RHers is across the body just above the left shoulder and the disc is released upside down.

That chicken wing is crazy, I have never even heard of it! Seems like it would be hard but maybe good for accuracy?

I could be wrong, but I think originally, the sidearm was throw with the palm down and the disc was gripped with the thumb under the rim and the fingers on top of the plate, and the disc spins in counter clockwise for right hand throwers.

Similar to this:
100px-Frisbee-waffle-top.jpg
75px-Frisbee-waffle-bottom.jpg

Where as the forehand is the opposite. The palm is up and the fingers are under the rim and thumb is on top of the plate, but still spins counter clockwise for right hand throwers.

Similar to this:
100px-Frisbee-forehand-top.jpg
100px-Frisbee-forehand-bottom.jpg

Any other old school stylers or ultimate players remember this too?

wow, havent used that sidearm grip in forever ... I wonder what it would look like on a Disc
but yea, I remember that

Man, I heard the term "chicken wing" for the first time the other day. He referred to throwing one when we were talking about one of the holes out on the course. At first I wondered what the hell he was talking about, then just decided not to ask.