• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hello from Canada

Porthos

Just wanted to introduce myself and how I got in to disc golf. I was an Ultimate player for years but stopped playing a couple years back. Last September an old Ultimate friend took me out on small 9 hole course one day and lent me an old APX and Avenger SS he got from a starter kit along with a Buzzz and Roc3 for mids. After a couple of rounds with him, I was hooked. I quickly went out and bought a Buzzz and Comet, and my friend gave me the APX and Avenger SS to keep.

I also did the Ace Race last year in October so I added a Mantis to my collection. Of course, being Canada, that was it for the year. I got a little stir crazy over the winter and ended up buying a few discs online (River, Stalker, Beaver, Rattler, Flick, and a Zone plus a bag). Unfortunately an early round this year on a harder course than I was used to quickly claimed my Beaver). I also almost lost my Flick as it fades way too much for me so it remains in the bag.

So that's it. I found this forum looking for advice on technique and discs. Right now I'm looking for a putter to use as a putting putter. The APX is okay but really banged up and the Rattler is more fun to just play catch with. The Anode or Nova look like discs to try and hopefully one of those will click. If they do, I'll pick up a few of them and start putting in putting practice. I've only played about 10 rounds now, and only 3 this year, but putting is my weakest point (although I'm not exactly throwing crazy far yet either).

we play all year round here! disc golf is just as fun in the cold and snow :)

Thanks for the welcome. I'm from Airdrie (pretty much Calgary and that is where the courses are). Snow golf didn't occur to me. Figured discs would get lost in the snow.

Some find it fun to play in the snow, some don't. A lot of people who do play winter golf tape ribbons on their discs, the ribbon stays on top of the snow even when the disc goes under. I personally did a lot of lid golf when I lived in Chicago, I would play rounds with just a zephyr or a superhero and they are large enough diameter and have blunt enough noses that they never dive under the snow.

Welcome to the site, I've played in Ontario and BC but not in your area yet. :)

Welcome. I enjoy your women. I think gravy, cheese curds, and fries are a good idea. That's about all I got. Oh and I like Trailer Park Boys. You should take Jim Carrey back.

I never claimed him. So technically he's still yours. I don't want Jim Carrey because he likes to make movies using guns then blame an inanimate object for violence. Take him back. He's overstayed his welcome. Of course you should take Beiber back too. You can even have Pam Anderson back if you want. We're done with her. :clap:

Just wanted to introduce myself and how I got in to disc golf. I was an Ultimate player for years but stopped playing a couple years back. Last September an old Ultimate friend took me out on small 9 hole course one day and lent me an old APX and Avenger SS he got from a starter kit along with a Buzzz and Roc3 for mids. After a couple of rounds with him, I was hooked. I quickly went out and bought a Buzzz and Comet, and my friend gave me the APX and Avenger SS to keep.

I also did the Ace Race last year in October so I added a Mantis to my collection. Of course, being Canada, that was it for the year. I got a little stir crazy over the winter and ended up buying a few discs online (River, Stalker, Beaver, Rattler, Flick, and a Zone plus a bag). Unfortunately an early round this year on a harder course than I was used to quickly claimed my Beaver). I also almost lost my Flick as it fades way too much for me so it remains in the bag.

So that's it. I found this forum looking for advice on technique and discs. Right now I'm looking for a putter to use as a putting putter. The APX is okay but really banged up and the Rattler is more fun to just play catch with. The Anode or Nova look like discs to try and hopefully one of those will click. If they do, I'll pick up a few of them and start putting in putting practice. I've only played about 10 rounds now, and only 3 this year, but putting is my weakest point (although I'm not exactly throwing crazy far yet either).

The Flick is too overstable for beginners. It makes for a good forehand disc or overhand disc.

A lot of beginners gravitate to understable discs, like the River, because they have more glide, but learning overstable/understable discs is part of the game. Understable discs, like the River, perform better in tailwinds, whereas more overstable discs perform better in headwinds. Also, slower discs perform better in tailwinds, so keep that in mind when starting out.

As far as finding a putter goes, there's a lot to consider.

For me, I use an overstable putter, the Vibram VP, because it fits my big-sized hands very well. I find overstable putters to be more consistent in different weather conditions. Also, I like the grip and durability of the Vibram X-Link rubber. It doesn't beat-in as fast as plastic does, making it more consistent round-to-round and year-to-year.

Some people, especially beginners, like understable putters. It takes less force, on average, for an understable to fly, because the disc works to stay in flight. Even pros like understable putters. For them, an understable putter can be as consistent as an overstable. That's not me, however.