• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Help! Can't decide what disc is best for me!

Alright guys. I got a question thats been killing me and thought maybe someone on here would know a little more than me on this so I'd get some advice:

I was looking at getting either a new star boss or xcaliber. I throw sidearm 99% of the time and turnover short mid range shots or just whip my mid range up there. I generally throw close to 300' on most of my drives(depending on wind trees...etc) I currently am throwing a champion monster(169 weight) and a star destroyer(172 weight I believe). the monster comes back way too fast most of the time but the destroyer seems to like to keep going left. On occasion I can get a nice big sweeping S curve out of it which I want. Any ideas on something that would increase my sweeping S curves?? I don't wanna buy something that I can use seeing the new stars are almsot 20 bucks a pop.

Also, I have a champion starfire that I throw once in a while. When I can do it right, I can throw it totally straight.

Thanks!

Last edited:
i find the starfire to not be a very good sidearm disc as the fade kicks in very late in its flight , and i havnt thrown those others you were thinking about but looking at the numbers i dont think those disc are what you need id try a teebird , the fade kicks in earlier which makes it good for s-turns as it always likes to come back and its also good foor straight and hyzer.

i really think at 300ft you need something slower and overstable like teebird or gazelle and or maybe a banshee or millenium exp

I'm a sidearm guy. I like the S curve that you can make with a Destroyer and it will come back hard. I find that really hard to do with an Xcal. The Xcal will hold an anhyzer line and either fall to the ground or not come back hyzer. I find that The Xcal is best when thrown flat or for hyzer shots. The Boss goes far, but I personally prefer the controlability of Destroyers. Groove would be better than the Boss.
I throw a CFR Destroyer (172g) for control, big D, and S curves. Star Destroyer (175g) for shots I want to hyzer out of or skip big
Also, I would work on getting more distance with what you currently throw. Get at least 350 before you move up. I can control my Destroyers comfortably in the 350-375 region and throw hard for shots over 400. The Boss still hasn't really called to me yet.

I use to love my Star Xcal for sidearm shots like that but when it wears in it won't fade back that hard. I'd go with a Firebird specifically for s curves.

I dont flick very well but a buddy of mine that flicks a ton uses a star xcal and my little bit of trying to flick I have found that my long range flicks work much better with my ecostar Xcal

I'm a sidearm guy. I like the S curve that you can make with a Destroyer and it will come back hard. I find that really hard to do with an Xcal. The Xcal will hold an anhyzer line and either fall to the ground or not come back hyzer. I find that The Xcal is best when thrown flat or for hyzer shots. The Boss goes far, but I personally prefer the controlability of Destroyers.

Interesting, I find exactly the opposite. My xcal comes back no matter what, but the destroyer will flip and hold that line with enough snap.

i find the starfire to not be a very good sidearm disc as the fade kicks in very late in its flight , and i havnt thrown those others you were thinking about but looking at the numbers i dont think those disc are what you need id try a teebird , the fade kicks in earlier which makes it good for s-turns as it always likes to come back and its also good foor straight and hyzer.

i really think at 300ft you need something slower and overstable like teebird or gazelle and or maybe a banshee or millenium exp

I just can't think straight with that avatar pic. Please I will pay you to change it. It creeps me out! :eek:

Alright guys. I got a question thats been killing me and thought maybe someone on here would know a little more than me on this so I'd get some advice:

I was looking at getting either a new star boss or xcaliber. I throw sidearm 99% of the time and turnover short mid range shots or just whip my mid range up there. I generally throw close to 300' on most of my drives(depending on wind trees...etc) I currently am throwing a champion monster(169 weight) and a star destroyer(172 weight I believe). the monster comes back way too fast most of the time but the destroyer seems to like to keep going left. On occasion I can get a nice big sweeping S curve out of it which I want. Any ideas on something that would increase my sweeping S curves?? I don't wanna buy something that I can use seeing the new stars are almsot 20 bucks a pop.

Also, I have a champion starfire that I throw once in a while. When I can do it right, I can throw it totally straight.

Thanks!

I throw rhfh 99.9% of the time and would recommend a Discraft Flick and an Innova Star Max. The Flick is super accurate and the Max is a great long distance driver. The both are great in windy conditions too.

I highly recommend both discs for any forehand thrower.

i already mentioned his name...he rocks!! in elf, black sabbath and that other band that made 2 kick arse albums...holy diver and last in line...all down hill after that..amazing somone so tiny has a such a huge voice

80 have you heard the new Heaven and Hell song bible black , it rocks i found the video on my comcast on demand one of the coolest videos ive ever seen .

alright bought a groove today... so far I love it! only problem was that I lost my champ monster :( o well.. time to get a new one as that one was over 5 years old. only prob I got with my destroyer is that it doesn't come back it goes left and left more.. its getting pretty worn out and I'm thinking it has something to do with it. Also was throwing around a champ sidewinder today... that thing was amazing wind and all.

thanks guys

First of all, Omega's avatar sure looks like Lion-o. Secondly, for a long S curve, it's gonna depend on what is long for you. Based on the discs you said that you threw, I'd say a TeeRex or an Xcal. once you get them beat in, they are less stable than a Monster, but not as understable as a destroyer. If you go with the TeeRex, make sure to get an X.