• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Help me find my new PUTTER please

I want a good true putter. SLOW, grips the ground etc. I want something that is perfect for a 15-30 ft putt. Wrist spin and float in, type. I guess.
What that there says is that you want a lid, those are the slowest, most glidey putters out there and grip the ground better than most anything. Won't blow past too long even with a bit too much power.

If you like the thumbtrack, give the Birdie a try. Others include Polecat, Sonic, Rattler, Putt'r, Gopher... I'm sure someone could chime in for more.

1) MVP ION Medium. (Good, Bad, Love, Hate?) Is it stable, under, or straight good for short shots or best for a Midrange type shot?
For spin putting I'd recommend the softs. If you really do give it spin when you putt it'll glide very nicely and go straight. It has less glide when you just lob it with zero spin though. Personally I love all of them and use my first run softs for spin putts.

Other than that, you can never go wrong with an Aviar P&A (or P1) for spin putting, the same applies to the Magnet and even the APX. Pure and Spike are also worth a try. On the whole basically any neutral stability or slightly understable putter will work for spin putting, overstable putters tend to be favored by push putters. It's mostly a matter of what feels good in your hand.

Great responses. Thanks to everyone.

I think my new list is
1) G-Magic
2) G-Voodoo
3) D-Focus
4) I-Aviar PnA
5) MVP Ion (just to see)

I guess I will narrow it down to 3 or so, try them all, decide on 2, and sell off the rest and just buy more of my 2 new putters. sweet deal
I would like to have 2 of each. you know. just in case. and for practice.
thanks guys/gals? neh, probably dudes here, haha

What that there says is that you want a lid, those are the slowest, most glidey putters out there and grip the ground better than most anything. Won't blow past too long even with a bit too much power.

If you like the thumbtrack, give the Birdie a try. Others include Polecat, Sonic, Rattler, Putt'r, Gopher... I'm sure someone could chime in for more.

For spin putting I'd recommend the softs. If you really do give it spin when you putt it'll glide very nicely and go straight. It has less glide when you just lob it with zero spin though. Personally I love all of them and use my first run softs for spin putts.

Other than that, you can never go wrong with an Aviar P&A (or P1) for spin putting, the same applies to the Magnet and even the APX. Pure and Spike are also worth a try. On the whole basically any neutral stability or slightly understable putter will work for spin putting, overstable putters tend to be favored by push putters. It's mostly a matter of what feels good in your hand.

Yes, agreed. I guess I would be looking for a slightly understable putter.

thanks for the info

Thanks for the input. I don't really want an Overstable putter. I would say Challenger at 1.0 would be the most I would even consider. When i said spin, i meant more like Pizza toss putts. I don't like having a full throw form when putting because if I miss, that stuff is gone. SO, yeah NO Driving putter. I use a mako, zone or my ringer for that.
Thanks though. I have heard decent things about challengers

If this means you're just kind of lobbing them into the basket, think about a Discraft Soft APX. It's got a lot of glide and is a touch understable, so you don't have to put a lot on it for it to go straight right to the chains. Plus the soft-X plastic will grip the chains, your hand, the ground, etc.

glow avairs are the best avairs for putting. i used them for years till i switched over to wizards. i still keep a beat up glow avair in the bag for turnover shots. i like baseline plastic because it grips the chains better than premium platsic.

glow avairs are the best avairs for putting. i used them for years till i switched over to wizards. i still keep a beat up glow avair in the bag for turnover shots. i like baseline plastic because it grips the chains better than premium platsic.
One of these days I'm going to get myself banned over this...

OK, hmmm.
One question, I hear about the ss or sss ? what is this?
I do NOT like a putter all gummy soft like BlowFly's. Not a fan, rather have a star/esp/ type plastic...or at least Pro-D. I like that.

Sounds like you would like a nice S Voodoo. Stiff and easy to beat in. The SSS are not floppy, but have a softer/tackier feel to the rim and flight plate. You can find some in SSS that are crazy floppy, but most of them are not. For what your looking for the Voodoo is going to be money, money, money!

Also some of the HPPs are super stiff as well and don't break in as fast. it's nice to have a beat-in one and fairly fresh voodoo.

If you're not looking to drive with it, then I'd go with a mildly overstable/neutrally stable putter. My vote goes to either the Magnet (if you like how it feels) or the Magic. I throw Magnets and my dad throws the other and they're both excellent discs. Not that you're looking, but they also both excel at upshots and short drives, as long as there isn't a ton of wind.

Challenger. Starts off stable, breaks into perfect straight shooter. As opposed to a magnet (or similar stability) that gets more flippy when seasoned.

I have to disagree with you there. I have a two year old, Pro D Magnet, with over 3000 putts on it, looks like the rim has been through a cheese grater, and I can launch that thing off the tee, dead straight. Its not understable at all.

The Soft Magnets can get flippy, but the Pro Ds hold it pretty well.

Try a Pro D Magnet, 173-174.

+1 for ions. Softs require more spin on them and mediums are kind of the opposite, Little spin and they will glide. If you're going to be driving with you putter i suggest finding the softest ion you can, if it hits a tree with wont bounce away very far.

The magic is pretty understable. Super str8 - easily turned over. Tons of glide. You shoot right at the pin with these. Hardly any hyzer-out. Wizards carry a little bit more stability and have similar flight characteristics as the Focus....glidy, str8 flight, with hyzer-out at the end.

The putter itself (magic and wiz) are smaller in diameter, too. Hand-to-disc ratio is larger in a sense.

I think the Wiz is what you're looking for.

Another vote for magic. It may be a smaller diameter disc but I have large hands and it fits sooo nice in my grip.

;)OK, my new list seems to be

1) Innova Glow Aviar
2) GW Magic (a firmer 7-9 out of 10 on firmness..so medium??? hard to find info about gateway)
3) Discraft Ace Race Focus (I have 1 and want 1 or 2 more) just a fan.

I considered the I-Polecat and the GW-Voodoo. But I think these might be my 3.

You never mentioned any Gateway putters. That my friend is your answer. I am loyal to my Voodoo. It fits great in the hand more so than any other putter I have used.

1) MVP ION Medium. (Good, Bad, Love, Hate?) Is it stable, under, or straight good for short shots or best for a Midrange type shot?
2)VIBRAM SUMMIT (Is the material too oily?) Worth it?
3)DISCRAFT CHALLENGER (Too stable?) is it Puttery enough?
4)DISCRAFT PUTT'R (weird? or what?) It's a 0.0 and looks like it would feel good in the hand. Only elite-x plastic...weird.
5)INNOVA RHYNO (too overstable?) I like the thumbtrack and the true putter perfomance but...can i float it and spin to go nicely and in?
6)INNOVA AVIAR (There are like 5 kinds...****. BUT, I dig the plain A-putt and appraoch, probably in star plastic)

-Ion does have nice glide, but its much better for the drive/approach duties.
-The material is a bit oily for my taste, but it really does depend on the disc/conditions outside
-Challengers are nice, but i prefer the bead on the wizard for a comprable putter
-don't worry about the putt'r
-Rhyno is good for short approaches/flick approach, and nothing else
-Wahatever

Answer-Try a Magic, Wizard, and Soft Ion. One should work.

After trying a ton of putters, my favorite is the APX (0.0 or 0.5). I use to use the overstable stuff, but once I switched to the stable/understable putter. It was a major improvement in my game. Nice straight flight with little to no hyzer at the end. I use the APX swirls, but they still make the APX in other plastic too.
The only other disc that came close to beating the APX for me was the Voodoo, but it just didn't have the "feel" of the APX.
Putters ar tough to pick out or take on from what others think, but good luck. Hope you find "the one!"

If you have a local store or a friend, give their Vibram disc a try. We have improved the manufacturing process and minimized any "oily" feeling discs leaving the factory. This is caused by a mold release spray that gets on the discs. If you get a slick feeling Vibram disc, scuff it in the dirt or give it a quick wash with citrus or Dawn type stuff.

It should feel great and last forever. I'm still on my first Ridge and Summit and have heard the same from players that used to go through 3 or 4 non-Vibram putters.

Latest posts