• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Help me find my new PUTTER please

I love the zero line pure, but they are as fragile as the original Quarter K. The Jokeri is my newest play toy, best driving putter I have tried.
People love their gateway putters, but the plastic is inconsitent and the weights are often wrong.
People love their vibrams, the only reason I stopped using them was because they all looked the same and I would often putt with the wrong disc. Now that the multicolors are out that is not an issue.

I have used a Discraft Focus, and I really like it. I have used others as well.
I own:: D-Focus, D-Ringer, D-Zone. I sometimes putt with I-Mako or even a D-Buzzz.

I see a lot of things that say (great driving putter...I DONT WANT THAT...****, I have enough mid's that will be used for that...I want a good true putter. SLOW, grips the ground etc. I want something that is perfect for a 15-30 ft putt. Wrist spin and float in, type. I guess.

I have been looking into new putters for a little while and...
Here are my questions:
1) MVP ION Medium. (Good, Bad, Love, Hate?) Is it stable, under, or straight good for short shots or best for a Midrange type shot? <-- i am very against these still, the 2 plastics DO come apart eventually, ive gotten to see a few in person now and heard of more
2)VIBRAM SUMMIT (Is the material too oily?) Worth it? <-- to me they were more like a mid than a putter for use purposes, never noticed the 'oily'
3)DISCRAFT CHALLENGER (Too stable?) is it Puttery enough? <-- a great putter if you have a fast/hard putting style. if youre a float/soft putter it wont have enough glide for you.
4)DISCRAFT PUTT'R (weird? or what?) It's a 0.0 and looks like it would feel good in the hand. Only elite-x plastic...weird. <-- used to love these things for short (under100') dead straight upshots. as a putter their OK in most conditions, descent glide, but really i wouldnt be surprised if Discraft discontinues them so i wouldnt bother
5)INNOVA RHYNO (too overstable?) I like the thumbtrack and the true putter perfomance but...can i float it and spin to go nicely and in? <--not a great putter if you dont want overstable, requires some power on your putts, best as a driving putter/upshot disc
6)INNOVA AVIAR (There are like 5 kinds...****. BUT, I dig the plain A-putt and appraoch, probably in star plastic) <-- the P&A is a great! putter. depending on your style is what kind of plastic you will want to go with. the DX works best for soft glidy putts, the star requires a lil more force in your putt and lacks a lil of the DX glide-better if you have a med-soft to med putt style. the glow is slightly more overstable then the DX and feels great in the hand. I hate R-Pro so i have never thrown one (i hate how it gets really floppy at 75+ degrees)

before making any suggestions, what is it that you dont like about the Focus? (i made it to pg2 and got bored so i dont want to look for it). ive putted with my friends a few times and it was a good putter.

Would it be possible to get a picture of a an ION where the two plastics have come apart? I have one ION I've been especially beating to see what happens (it's lost some stability, due to the sharp ass corners in my DIY basket slicing away the bead, but otherwise nothing at all) and having seen the cross section and how they're not just mechanically but chemically bonded, I really need to see this before I can believe it.

Would it be possible to get a picture of a an ION where the two plastics have come apart? I have one ION I've been especially beating to see what happens (it's lost some stability, due to the sharp ass corners in my DIY basket slicing away the bead, but otherwise nothing at all) and having seen the cross section and how they're not just mechanically but chemically bonded, I really need to see this before I can believe it.

next time i see those guys at a tourny ill try to remember to take a pic if they have them.

chemically bonded is like a fancy way of saying glued btw. the style that they bonded them with is very common in other industries.

DX Aviar putter. You might also want to check out the gateway putters, they're virtual Aviars (in different stabilities) that come in some nice grippy plastics. Try to find someone that has a good selection of them and see which one feels best. Some folks think the Warlock is the closest to an Aviar, I think it's slightly more understable (Gateway is known for inconsistancies in the same mold though). I'd say either a Warlock or a Wizard (supposed to be the most stable).

DX Aviar putter. You might also want to check out the gateway putters, they're virtual Aviars (in different stabilities) that come in some nice grippy plastics.

thats a first. never heard that comparison before. a wizard is like a P&A? maybe ill give you the comparison on the warlock (although to me their totally different)

You never mentioned any Gateway putters. That my friend is your answer. I am loyal to my Voodoo. It fits great in the hand more so than any other putter I have used.

:thmbup:

;)OK, my new list seems to be

1) Innova Glow Aviar
2) GW Magic (a firmer 7-9 out of 10 on firmness..so medium??? hard to find info about gateway)
3) Discraft Ace Race Focus (I have 1 and want 1 or 2 more) just a fan.

I considered the I-Polecat and the GW-Voodoo. But I think these might be my 3.

I'm a spin putter that likes to float high risk putts up to the basket and still make most of them. Here's my 2 cents:

The Magic is an awesome putter for these purposes. If they still made the SSS in a chalky "eraser" type plastic, I would use no other putter. Alas, this is not the case.

I currently use, and can't ever see changing (the choir sings to Mr. Dodge) a soft Summit putter. It's the best putter I've ever used. It's money straight inside of 40 feet and it flops to the ground on metal hits that don't end up in the basket. I don't think the soft plastic has (or could) ever feet oily. It's rubbery. It hardly ever (I didn't say never) rolls off. I putt with confidence to hillside baskets. I only have 3... I want more. It's perfect for "in the circle" putts and layups to hillside baskets.

The Aviar is the most popular putter ever made. There is good reason for this. As an all around putter, it is the standard by which all other putters are compared. Enough said.

The Focus is also a fine putter.

It comes down to feel and use at this point. I'm unashamedly a Vibram guy. I use the X-link Summit, Ridge and VP to approach baskets with confidence. The consistency of the molds and the lack of wear are why I get better every round I use them. My short game has improved big time since I settled on carrying 4 Vibram putters in my bag. There is a disc for every shot inside of 150 feet for my game. They are old, but still look like new after I wash them.

Whatever you settle on, stick with it for at least 6 months. Sometimes it takes a while for you to get the confidence you need around the basket to be effective. Good luck.

I recently switched from the Focus to the Vibram XP and Ridge. Loving both so far and I don't dislike the Focus at all.

Whatever you settle on, stick with it for at least 6 months. Sometimes it takes a while for you to get the confidence you need around the basket to be effective. Good luck.

^^^^ YUPP

Omega super soft putter the best I have ever used grabs chains like no other and floats for days. Slightly stable only flips when I throw poorly jump putts and anhyshers no problem. Google the Ion and they have a site that tells all about it. BTW glued involves using an adhesive to hold two objects together, were chemically bonded materials are fused and the seam becomes the same material

I'm gonna have to go with the MVP Ion. Great disc. I use it for everything from about 200ft and in. I currently have 4 in my bag permanently. I think the only disc I'd even consider replacing it with is a GDS Voodoo. Basically similar flight I just really like the softer plastics they come in :)

I have used a ton of different putters and my favorite has got to be the KC Aviar, I also love Wizards but since i got the Aviar i barely ever use it

thats a first. never heard that comparison before. a wizard is like a P&A? maybe ill give you the comparison on the warlock (although to me their totally different)

A guy came by one of our weeklies with a box of Gateway putters he was selling to support a new course. I believe he had Wizards, Warlocks, Magics and Voodoos, and they all looked and felt like an Aviar. I do like the grippiness of one of the Gateway plastics better than an Aviar Putter, not sure if it was SS or SSS. I settled on a Warlock but I find it to be slightly more understable than my fairly beat Aviar. There was a thread on here that said Wizards were the most overstable, followed by the Warlock, I'll have to try a Wizard next.

^^^second that
i just got my second warlock today, lovin the feel of the softs, they r pretty firm but they still have a good grip on the chains. i like em beadless.

what are your thoughts of softness? i find that soft, chalky putters seem to grip the chains better, while high grade plastic putters will more often glance off the of the chains and miss.

i would recommend a magnet (soft of pro d), latitude 64 pure in zero plastic, super grippy and not too soft, flat top and straight flight. finally try the gateway magic, extremely straight flyer with lots of softnesses to choose from.

I believe he had Wizards, Warlocks, Magics and Voodoos, and they all looked and felt like an Aviar.
Funny, at least the Wizard should have a convex and round wing whereas the Aviar has a flat wing, and the P&A doesn't have a bead while the Wizard has a very prominen bead. They really don't look similar to me at all. The slope of the top is also totally different between my Aviar P&As and Wizards.

A guy came by one of our weeklies with a box of Gateway putters he was selling to support a new course. I believe he had Wizards, Warlocks, Magics and Voodoos, and they all looked and felt like an Aviar. I do like the grippiness of one of the Gateway plastics better than an Aviar Putter, not sure if it was SS or SSS. I settled on a Warlock but I find it to be slightly more understable than my fairly beat Aviar. There was a thread on here that said Wizards were the most overstable, followed by the Warlock, I'll have to try a Wizard next.

A wizard is nothing like a P&A...nothing. its somewhat similar to a KC Aviar or a BB. the warlock is the closest to a P&A. the magic has no comparison. i havent held a voodoo in awhile and cant remember what its like

Latest posts