• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Help me get new hyzer crush drivers

I don't mind a lot of turn phase personally. I actually also just enjoy watching hyzerflip flight shapes so there's a kind of primal level of pleasure for me.

I understand why it can also be a liability, but I have always been much more comfortable throwing for power at 20 (or more) degrees hyzer. It has been true no matter what my form looks like, which has always been interesting to me and why I'm so interested in pro hyzer power shots. Sidewinder's preference to train mechanics on hyzer is very pragmatic from that perspective. Gravity hammer!

On the other hand, I know there are often practical advantages to throwing nearer to flat with more overstability and less turn for reliability reasons. Golf requires versatility. However, it's so much harder on my body personally when throwing for power that I'm kind of trying to figure out what my ~80% power shot game looks like on hyzer. I think in the short run it is harder to learn which is why so many people tell new players to throw "flat," but in the long run it's a power/body preservation strategy for me. I'm practicing for my "old man" game starting right now.

I have a (slightly younger and less busted) friend who is trying to get me to throw 'flatter" rather than always leaning on hyzer and trying to get too cute with flip-turn-fade dynamics on every shot when sometimes a flatter and more OS shot will do. He has a point* - I don't disagree with him and am starting to practice it more at maybe 60% finesse shots. It's helping me score already. I still tend hyzer so they're usually just shallow hyzerflips.

But when I want my 80-85% drives, I'm going hyzer if I can, and if I have all the air space I want, then these are the discs I'm after here. I suddenly realized the pure joy of a low-effort open-air 40-45 degree hyzer crush so I'm willing to explore that a bit lol :)

First, got a couple of Pharaohs in different weights on the way. Once I see what they cover I'll keep it going here. Excited!

*I don't like to gatekeep anything but just something I worry about as a friend... that same friend is doing a field session with a Techdisc today with a player 13 years his junior. After having one go 365ft yesterday, my friend will be throwing his full bag of Destroyers at 50-55 mph on near-flat (really usually slightly hyzer or slightly anhyzer) angles. With the amount he plays I worry about him sometimes as will soon enter his late 30s. The younger (22 y/o) player is very quick and has good balance. He throws about 60mph using a collapsing from shoulder, and spins vertically when he throws. He was already talking to me about hip and knee aches last time we played 1 on 1. I worry about that too even though it's not really my business...
What distance are you throwing? Probably more than my 250-290', but for me, and I don't do much hyzer because I totally lack consistency with it, but I found a beat in (used) light weight King Air flips up and bombs pretty far pretty easily. Weird that the numbers make it look very over stable, but I had two of them, and both were actually very flippy, maybe just because of the light 155g weight? I also love my Katanas, Terns, and Waves, and I tend to go with weights that allow me to throw them flat, but on the rare occasion I throw lighter ones, I hyzer them, and I know I am capable of a bit more power that way. At 55 years old and one year playing, I might very well turn into a hyzer guy down the road, but for now 300' flat, controlled, is the goal that I think will really have me enjoying my game. It will open up a lot more, and easier, birdie opportunities if I can get there. I just can't release a hyzer where I want it for now - I have too much variation for it to be very useful when playing.

What distance are you throwing? Probably more than my 250-290', but for me, and I don't do much hyzer because I totally lack consistency with it, but I found a beat in (used) light weight King Air flips up and bombs pretty far pretty easily. Weird that the numbers make it look very over stable, but I had two of them, and both were actually very flippy, maybe just because of the light 155g weight? I also love my Katanas, Terns, and Waves, and I tend to go with weights that allow me to throw them flat, but on the rare occasion I throw lighter ones, I hyzer them, and I know I am capable of a bit more power that way. At 55 years old and one year playing, I might very well turn into a hyzer guy down the road, but for now 300' flat, controlled, is the goal that I think will really have me enjoying my game. It will open up a lot more, and easier, birdie opportunities if I can get there. I just can't release a hyzer where I want it for now - I have too much variation for it to be very useful when playing.
I don't personally mind or gatekeep people who attempt to throw flat btw. I just have been working so hard to develop pro-like mechanics with @sidewinder22 that I am redeveloping my bag entirely at this point. And like pros, my power strokes for "flat" shots are still more like 20 degrees hyzer(flips). I now suspect I can get a bit more peak power at more like a Brinster or GG extreme hyzer due to how my mechanics work or are starting to work. I'll probably only use that angle on wide open holes for now for practical purposes while I improve. At this point I've learned to make less assumptions about where my form will take me and just "go with the flow."

I've currently got ~60mph at ~80-85%, so ~400' when I'm throwing angles well. Even if I gain more power with form work and practice I'm mostly interested in building my golf game at that range at this point since I'm not getting younger. Since I don't have infinite time to practice, I plan to throw most tee shots at 60% and 80% power so I only have two tempos to worry about - that has also been helping me get more reliable with limited practice. Then I just need to swap the disc and trajectory. When I golf I try to throw everything around 20 degrees hyzer in general whenever I can to simplify everything. The 40 degrees idea is just giving me room to explore hyzer crushes while I keep finding new gravity efficiencies in my stroke.

Yes light weight affects (1) how fast the disc releases, assuming you put equal Force on the disc at release (2) aerodynamic stuff people on the aeurdynamic thread are better qualified than me to talk about and (3) different plastics seem to have clear effects (on top of any differences in confidence in movement, grips, etc). I tend to like drivers in the high 160s since that little bit of difference seems to matter and I'm not working as hard for distance, but still use heavier/more OS if the wind picks up.

3. Spray and pray. Shock and Awe. : Go dig through some used bins and find the gnarliest Pro Destroyer you can still grip without injuring your hand. These were my wide open hole discs, throwing them on near vertical hyzer with plenty of air under them and watch them do a giant lazy full flex. When I was reliably throwing my standard "mellow bomber Destroyer" ~415 on a controlled line, I could easily push these out past 450 (tickling 500 with a tailwind) if distance was the only goal.

Since then I injured/rehabbed my shoulder and I'm trying to stick with Wraiths for distance. A 159g poptop Star Wraith fills that thrashed Pro Destroyer spot. Probably not quite the distance potential, but the glide is there if I hit it right and it is certainly not as squirrelly. If you've played Waterworks, I put it deep left in the road on hole 14 in a slight headwind. I hit it just right and it kicked into glide gear and just refused to give up.
+1 to old Destroyers. If you can find some early run GStar Destroyers, these make great hyzer-flip bombers, too

Favorite grippy plastic?
I honestly love all of MVPs plastic, I am a confirmed shill though.

Fission waves are very fun to throw, and I personally think that plastic feels great. It is also one of the only 'gyro technology' implementations that I think has something legit to it. You can throw super light fission discs and they don't have the same downsides I have noticed with other lightweight options.

Neutron Waves bomb too though.

If you want to get really, really silly with hyzer angles, try a Signal maybe.

I bought a green neutron signal a few weeks ago and it is by far the most understable disc off the shelf that I have ever seen. You can do very silly things with it.

If you want spray-n-pray understability with dumb-grippy plastic (I'm not even sure you can call it "plastic"), the Elasto Underworld is another compelling option:

I honestly love all of MVPs plastic, I am a confirmed shill though.

Fission waves are very fun to throw, and I personally think that plastic feels great. It is also one of the only 'gyro technology' implementations that I think has something legit to it. You can throw super light fission discs and they don't have the same downsides I have noticed with other lightweight options.

Neutron Waves bomb too though.

Please do be a shill for whatever you love here. I am very open-minded right now. It's like whole new world lmao.

If you want spray-n-pray understability with dumb-grippy plastic (I'm not even sure you can call it "plastic"), the Elasto Underworld is another compelling option:

I love finding discs that barely qualify as plastic. What's that floppy disc? The Koi? There's something just entertaining to that hehe

Course Update:
-The old flippy Pharaoh has its role, but I think I've gained a couple mph suddenly and it's now much more like a 60% power "finesse" driver. I can throw it smooth and the thing wants to flip right over and needs a very particular line to get a full flight. I had just a touch of headwind and the thing was gone-zo.

-Found an old beat Hades on my stack I forgot I had and it was coming out decent today on a more mellow hyzer. In the rotation.

-Once I get some more of these discs I'll start chuckin' and see what we get.

Haha I forgot I bought this at PIAS a long time ago. I haven't thrown it in a while, but it is as memey of a disc as the numbers indicate:
1714063856592.png

Haha I forgot I bought this at PIAS a long time ago. I haven't thrown it in a while, but it is as memey of a disc as the numbers indicate:
View attachment 338691
I forgot about DM's Active line. I have a Genius that is so flippy that it doesn't even work well as a roller.

Dynamic Captains are hyzer flip distance monsters, too. I'm surprised more people don't throw Captains

View attachment 338691
Now THAT looks like a GG-style hyzer bomber disc.

I forgot about DM's Active line. I have a Genius that is so flippy that it doesn't even work well as a roller.

Dynamic Captains are hyzer flip distance monsters, too. I'm surprised more people don't throw Captains
Yeah I think some of these are going to be an exploration in "insta-roller or hyzerbombs" for a bit until I figure out what is working lol

Speaking of Waves...today's mailcall for inspiration to order some:

View attachment 338692

Dude those are BEAUTIFUL.

View attachment 338691
Found one of those in the glow plastic which is actually a pretty nice plastic. But it is stupid understable. To the point I can spike it and it will still be a roller. The lower side of the rim is almost flat. And if it ever fades it still fades hard. No idea what those guys were thinking when designing it.

Fairways are welcome too, I'm pretty covered there for straight and fading shots, but still don't have the right-turning side of the bag figured out.

Are Heats and Sidewinders as overlapping as the numbers suggest (plastic/run variance there of course etc.)?

I dont know about Heats but a champ sidewinder has enough turn that it will turn over and enough stability that it is gonna come back. Not as US as the numbers would suggest and it only gets better once you beat it in for a couple of years. Another suggestion of mine would be a Star Teebird as it beats in too a great turnover disc with minimal fade.

If you are not opposed to some fun in the fairway slot, consider an AvengerSS in X plastic. This thing has landed in spots that do not seem possible. If you want a turnover hyzer over a treeline to your right this is the disc for it. If you want a low cut-roller, this is also your disc. You can throw this ridiculously high and it will still turn and glide. Only negative is that it cant do a barrel roll like that d-line FD Simon used to have. Or at least I haven't managed to make it do one.

Found one of those in the glow plastic which is actually a pretty nice plastic. But it is stupid understable. To the point I can spike it and it will still be a roller. The lower side of the rim is almost flat. And if it ever fades it still fades hard. No idea what those guys were thinking when designing it.

I dont know about Heats but a champ sidewinder has enough turn that it will turn over and enough stability that it is gonna come back. Not as US as the numbers would suggest and it only gets better once you beat it in for a couple of years. Another suggestion of mine would be a Star Teebird as it beats in too a great turnover disc with minimal fade.

If you are not opposed to some fun in the fairway slot, consider an AvengerSS in X plastic. This thing has landed in spots that do not seem possible. If you want a turnover hyzer over a treeline to your right this is the disc for it. If you want a low cut-roller, this is also your disc. You can throw this ridiculously high and it will still turn and glide. Only negative is that it cant do a barrel roll like that d-line FD Simon used to have. Or at least I haven't managed to make it do one.

I have a few ESP Avenger SSs that range from beat and very finesse-y to less beat and ... still somewhat finesse-y lol.

I think I have one old beat X that behaves like you said and it can be thrown on what feels like a full vertical hyzer and still turn all the way over and cut roll as I add power.

I've already been trying more Heats in this slot and there are some of those FLX ones that I can throw at like half power and they get these awesome full hyzerflips with lots of left to right movement at like 300' that are occasionally useful for certain snaking wooded lines. The newer ones can still bite back at the ranges I like to use them for and they feel pretty good in my hand so far.

I randomly bumped into a person in my morning round. I was telling her about my hyzer love and and she asked me to throw her max wt. RPM PekaPekas. The plastic felt great. They were maybe the touchiest understable fairway I've ever thrown but I gave them like 60% tempo and man did I feel classy when I parked the second shot with one. She apparently had a trunk full of them and gave me one in a different plastic so I'll mess around with that too.

Thank you for all this hyzer enthusiasm!

Last edited:
I have a few ESP Avenger SSs that range from beat and very finesse-y to less beat and ... still somewhat finesse-y lol.

I think I have one old beat X that behaves like you said and it can be thrown on what feels like a full vertical hyzer and still turn all the way over and cut roll as I add power.

I've already been trying more Heats in this slot and there are some of those FLX ones that I can throw at like half power and they get these awesome full hyzerflips with lots of left to right movement at like 300' that are occasionally useful for certain snaking wooded lines.

I randomly bumped into a person in my morning round. I was telling her about my hyzer love and and she asked me to throw her max wt. RPM PekaPekas. The plastic felt great. They were maybe the touchiest understable fairway I've ever thrown but I gave them like 60% tempo and man did I feel classy when I parked the second shot with one. She apparently had a trunk full of them and gave me one in a different plastic so I'll mess around with that too.

Thank you for all this hyzer enthusiasm!
Ok so you already got to enjoy the beauty that is a stupid flippy Avenger SS. The Heats you are describing sound more US than a champ Sidewinder. Sadly I lost mine, but it was good for max distance shots at 400 feet without turning and burning.

The PekaPeka sounds great. RPM is picking up some in my area as well and their designs are really cool. Less like toys, just some birds.

That sidewinder sounds like it's definitely on the more stable/OS side in champ plastic. Nice compromise. I think I have a basically brand new Star one somewhere so I might see how that flies now. I'm rarely ever trying to rip on anything at max power these days but something I can still throw hyzer at that range is appealing...

Agree. Those flippy discs in the OS plastic are odd ducks, but very useful for me. They end up being so versatile. Replacing my forehand drive with hyzer flips turnovers has saved my arm, but also added real fun to my game. It's also making it easier to play a tournament where I have two rounds in a day. It's easier distance, but a more demanding shot, which ends up improving my scores over the long haul.

Avenger SS seemed too flippy to me, but I could probably do better with it now. Sidewinder is what stays in the bag. It's such a lovely flight.

The OG leopard mold was an absolute workhorse for me for years. I have a couple of Barry Schultz champs, I think. It's a disc I've never found a great replacement for, especially with all the 3/x/3x molds that superseded it

If you see a plain-ass leopard in the wild, grab one. They're fantastic

In the spray and pray, shock and awe category I recommend the Clash Wild Honey in Steady plastic.

The Underworld has been my favorite understable fairway driver for years with the Maul being a close second, but I recently tried a Mint Discs Jackalope and it is spectacular as well. It slowly flips to flat, drifts softly and then fades softly. It caused my regular card mates to immediately ask, " What was that!?", as it hit the ground.

Last edited: