• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Help me get new hyzer crush drivers

Agree. Those flippy discs in the OS plastic are odd ducks, but very useful for me. They end up being so versatile. Replacing my forehand drive with hyzer flips turnovers has saved my arm, but also added real fun to my game. It's also making it easier to play a tournament where I have two rounds in a day. It's easier distance, but a more demanding shot, which ends up improving my scores over the long haul.

Avenger SS seemed too flippy to me, but I could probably do better with it now. Sidewinder is what stays in the bag. It's such a lovely flight.
Avenger SS does not seem to take much OAT well, and if I throw it anything close to actually flat it turns immediately. I usually use them for tunnels with low ceilings 300-350'. For those lines I need to throw them on very low trajectories at like 25-30 degrees hyzer or so to get a flight at around what I'd guess is coming out low 50s mph. They are turning up almost the whole way, but just starting to fade after getting minimal turn. The overall flight ends up almost laser straight but it took a lot of practice, and if I'm having a bad day I can't rely on it, so I'm not sure how much I'll lean on them in the long run. A finesse more than a power shot disc (for me).

But I'm going to start messing with them a bit more again on open holes with more power and height and see if I like any other role for them.

I started to favor the Heats in the woods a bit more recently because I like the handfeel and it seems like the disc-to-disc variability is a bit higher, which allowed me to cover more lines in my hyzer fairway slots. Then I now tend to "jump up" to 11+ speed discs if I want distance rather than try to stretch out the finesse-y fairway drivers.

I do have one pretty beat up Avenger SS that I like to throw from standstills on rough terrain. For some reason I'm just "in touch" with that disc more than others and it covers a lot of needs. Weird how that happens sometimes.

Avenger SS does not seem to take much OAT well, and if I throw it anything close to actually flat it turns immediately. I usually use them for tunnels with low ceilings 300-350'. For those lines I need to throw them on very low trajectories at like 25-30 degrees hyzer or so to get a flight at around what I'd guess is coming out low 50s mph. They are turning up almost the whole way, but just starting to fade after getting minimal turn. The overall flight ends up almost laser straight but it took a lot of practice, and if I'm having a bad day I can't rely on it, so I'm not sure how much I'll lean on them in the long run. A finesse more than a power shot disc (for me).

But I'm going to start messing with them a bit more again on open holes with more power and height and see if I like any other role for them.

I started to favor the Heats in the woods a bit more recently because I like the handfeel and it seems like the disc-to-disc variability is a bit higher, which allowed me to cover more lines in my hyzer fairway slots. Then I now tend to "jump up" to 11+ speed discs if I want distance rather than try to stretch out the finesse-y fairway drivers.

I do have one pretty beat up Avenger SS that I like to throw from standstills on rough terrain. For some reason I'm just "in touch" with that disc more than others and it covers a lot of needs. Weird how that happens sometimes.

The more I throw those easy, flip-to-flat shots the more I lean on them. We have a short hole (<250') with a slope down to water all along the left side, with the basket at the top edge of the slope. I've been throwing this ESP Sol off the tee for more than a year and I've not lost the disc yet.

I used to sidearm it. Last tournament there I cut into the side of the hill and rolled into the lake both times throwing sidearm.

Now I flip that Sol, and it more often ends up too far right, which is much easier to deal with than a penalty stroke and uphill putt.

Similar situation at another course with a 90' drop on the left of the tee. Two guys I was with yoinked the sidearms over the ledge to the left. Flip-to-flat Underworld was an easy 320' from a standstill with an nice flat landing and a birdie look.

I think this is just my game now. I can get a little more distance with a run up, but with my torso length it's too easy to get over on the disc. I still can't get in behind my brace with a run up. Sad, but that's reality ATM.

The more I throw those easy, flip-to-flat shots the more I lean on them. We have a short hole (<250') with a slope down to water all along the left side, with the basket at the top edge of the slope. I've been throwing this ESP Sol off the tee for more than a year and I've not lost the disc yet.

I used to sidearm it. Last tournament there I cut into the side of the hill and rolled into the lake both times throwing sidearm.

Now I flip that Sol, and it more often ends up too far right, which is much easier to deal with than a penalty stroke and uphill putt.

Similar situation at another course with a 90' drop on the left of the tee. Two guys I was with yoinked the sidearms over the ledge to the left. Flip-to-flat Underworld was an easy 320' from a standstill with an nice flat landing and a birdie look.

I think this is just my game now. I can get a little more distance with a run up, but with my torso length it's too easy to get over on the disc. I still can't get in behind my brace with a run up. Sad, but that's reality ATM.
Right on.

I've started to surprise myself what I can do with a flippy driver from a standstill and recommend it to anyone who wants to try. I mean, I'll apparently keep working on maximizing the fun that is the X-step, but since everywhere around me is basically tee shot->wooded upshot (and by woods I mean "shards of rocks and roots everywhere on uneven ground"), I'm now always throwing tons of standstills anyway.

There was this awesome elevated "teepad" (it was not installed yet, so literally it was just dirt and sharp rocks with a 30 degree slope right in front of it) on a new course near me with a 380' island hole only C1 wide. Everyone was doing awkward runups and only one other person hit C1. I looked at my 2-year-old and thought about breaking my ankle and thought "nope, standstill." I almost parked it with that flippy driver in one try into a head/crosswind (I still have no clue how I made that wind read). I missed the putt of course, but that's what I get for doing only driving work hehe.

That sidewinder sounds like it's definitely on the more stable/OS side in champ plastic. Nice compromise. I think I have a basically brand new Star one somewhere so I might see how that flies now. I'm rarely ever trying to rip on anything at max power these days but something I can still throw hyzer at that range is appealing...
Agree Champ Sidewinder can be OS - not even close to its US numbers. I had one - traded it in. Me, my son, and a friend that throws faster than us all tried it - total meat hook. Hard left every time. I kept trying it every time I got throwing a bit faster/better - it never improved. It frustrated me so much, I was happy to finally trade it back in!

Funny thing is, those sidewinder turn out to be the best a few years in.. but irreplaceable. Still got some love in me for the avenger SS though

Did you get some new plastic yet?

It's hard to give any advices on this one, for a couple of reasons:

1. Every disc seems to fly a tad different, even though it's the same mold.

2. I used to throw forehands and not backhands in your "range". So I assume the flight would be different.

Anyways:

1. Sidewinder (star plastic)

This disc used to be my go-to disc in no wind. Thrown on a steep hyzer angle, it would flat up and just ride left with a ever so slight fade in the end (RHFH). I couldn't shape it on tight fairways, but on open holes, it were a guarantee 400+. It were a Flippy sidewinder and I've thrown tour series ones that I barely could get any turn out of lol.

Will update this list when my brain start to braining (it's still early around here)

Agree Champ Sidewinder can be OS - not even close to its US numbers. I had one - traded it in. Me, my son, and a friend that throws faster than us all tried it - total meat hook. Hard left every time. I kept trying it every time I got throwing a bit faster/better - it never improved. It frustrated me so much, I was happy to finally trade it back in!
Even though I've added a decent amount of speed, since I still throw a lot of hyzer angles, I would probably need to add another 10mph before I start calling some champion plastic discs "understable."

I guess what going from 50-60mph mostly did was just mean that I was actually getting full flights out of more and more of my understable or neutral discs. I still get 100' more out of my more understable stuff as opposed to something like a new beefy firebird unless I force it over on a true flex line, which is more effortful for me so I mostly am happy to fish around on the US side.

It's hard to give any advices on this one, for a couple of reasons:

1. Every disc seems to fly a tad different, even though it's the same mold.

2. I used to throw forehands and not backhands in your "range". So I assume the flight would be different.

Anyways:

1. Sidewinder (star plastic)

This disc used to be my go-to disc in no wind. Thrown on a steep hyzer angle, it would flat up and just ride left with a ever so slight fade in the end (RHFH). I couldn't shape it on tight fairways, but on open holes, it were a guarantee 400+. It were a Flippy sidewinder and I've thrown tour series ones that I barely could get any turn out of lol.

Will update this list when my brain start to braining (it's still early around here)
I'm also going to be doing almost the opposite of of extreme hyzercrush and throw baby hyzerflip control drives more often now, which might also help me get a handle on certain parts of my balance and form.

Like Simon powering down to throw "flat" at e.g. 350' or 450' in the OT montage. They are much more shallow baby hyzerflips usually with discs where he doesn't get a ton of left to right movement. I think if I use my current mechanics to throw more shots like this right now, it might also help me get the torque going into the pocket and help me learn to "keep my head up and swing under my head" going into my plant. Then try the other extreme big hyzer angle to give my brain a big learning contrast effect.

I will never get over how beautiful this dude's form is.

Last edited:
I find that if you beat in an S-line dd3, they go really far on hyzer. This was pure hyzer and never got off of it. It did flip up to a less steep hyzer mid flight but then it kept going on hyzer. This is a flat hole with no wind btw.
Image-1.jpeg