• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Help me spend some money

svenlock09

Bogey Member
It's everybody's favorite time: payday. I've kept myself from buying new plastic for almost a year now to try and work on form and get to know the discs I already own. (well except for just ordering an eclipse DGCR stamped anode :D). I'm looking for some ideas on what to buy to help me fill in my bag. I know these turn into a "post your favorite disc" thread quickly, but please before you do, try and fill gaps in the bag. If you don't have any gap-filling suggestions, then posting your favorite disc is fine by me. I'm easily persuaded when it comes to buying plastic.

About me:
RHBH/RHFH 85/15-hurt my shoulder a while back so FH still hurts a bit.

Drivers:

GL River-169 g-340-350 average. Can break 400 occasionally but tend to loose accuracy. Love to throw this one powered down for straight shots
GL Striker-169 g- 350-365 average. Current max of about 415. My go to driver. Also tends to be a good disc powered down
Champ Orc-171 g-340-360 depending on the wind-typically my headwind driver
Opto XXX-unknown weight-my go to over stable beast when i need tons of fade.
Champ Wraith-168 g-dont use it much. Got it in a trade and just hasnt ever really been the disc for me
VIP Northman-174 g-330-340 average-has sneaky distance, but I havent really worked with it enough still to find the proper release on this one
GL Vision-168 g-used for long annys-340 ish given enough room. Tend to throw it with less power so it doesnt turn too much (about 300 feet or so)

Mids:
GL Fuse-weight unknown-my go to understable mid. Holds every line. typically thrown 250-280 on drives
ESP Buzzz-173 g-my go to mid in general. thrown for straight shots or when I have no idea what to do. holds straight, hyzer, and anny. I can dial this one in well for any shot between 230-280 feet. Can get it out to about 315 when I really rip it.
ESP Hornet-172 g-thrown when a bit on hyzer is needed. 280 typically
Champ Gator-175 g-my overstable mid. 265 but typically not used at full power

Putters:
Zero Pure-171 g-my go to putter
Med Ion-latest run-174 g-my approach disc and short range driver-can push it out to 250 pretty easily/consistently. havent quite hit 300 with it yet. My go to disc inside 200 feet
SS Wizard-174 g-my secondary putter when I'm just not feeling the pure
Soft Anode-havent gotten it yet, but its already ordered. gonna compete with the ion for a spot

I feel like I've got most shots covered, but I have an addiction so want to buy some more. My only ideas at the moment would be a Westside Sword and the Lat64 Saint (when it comes out)

Thanks for helping and sorry for the long post!

lol...with all those discs and molds, I don't think you have any gaps at all! I'd be thinking about duplicates for backup, if anything, maybe a shorter fairway but it sounds like you can cover that slot with your mids.

Fun discs that are awesome that you could try:

Opto Core - might fill between your Buzz and Fuse depending on what you end up with, and it might replace your Buzz.

gl or opto Pain - could possibly make you retire the Hornet and maybe even the Gator.

Millenium OLF in S or Q - might nix the Orc and/or the Striker (depending on your Striker).

Pig or Zone in decent plastic - combined with the overstable mids, could be the death of the Gator.

Dang, that's what I was afraid of. I've been trying to have all gaps filled for a long time and think I have finally done so. I like the suggestion of the opto core. a buddy of mine has a gl that I like pretty well... Would you suggest similar weight range as the buzzz or heavier/lighter?

if the consensus is that most of the gaps are pretty well filled, I will gladly accept more fun disc suggestions:thmbup: I know I may not need any more discs, but we all love new plastic!!

I don't think it'll matter much on the Core weight....dome affects them more. I'm not a huge Buzz guy, but I haven't seen any Cores that are as stable as a new Buzz. Some Cores are less stable than others (light, flat GL for instance), but they're all easier to turn or flip than the Buzzes I threw. I like that a lot, personally, and I like Cores better than the Buzz SS. I guess it depends on what you want from it - and on what your particular Fuse is like if you want the Core to fit in a group.

Opto Cores with a dome are usually the more stable ones. GL is usually - not always - just a tick less stable. Flatter is less stable for both. Right now the two I use most are a 168 gl flat and a 176 opto with moderate dome. That gl is understable like some of the more stable opto Fuses, but of course it's a Core and does its Core thing mostly. It's a really nice straight tailwind mid, or a good hyzer flipper that can either finish straight or be coaxed into a long flat turn. The opto is straighter and will hold a better hyzer if I need it to, usually goes the exact same distance on the same throw (8 grams not making a difference there), but of course won't resist turn as well as a Buzz. So....just depending on what you're looking for. And while we're at it, the Westside Warship is worth a look, too. Not thrown it, but people love it and I'll pick one up soon probably. Definitely going to check out the Saint when it's ready.

A lot of people don't want or need a disc like this, but I like using shallow less stable putters for approaches sometimes...XD, Spike, etc. Currently loving the Spike the most and hoping the murmur I heard about gl Spikes coming out is true. I was hoping the Anode would be like this, but it's pretty stable. They're fun to drive and come in handy for shorter turns or short tight straight shots that stable putters or mids might not handle as well. I'm LHBH and don't forehand often, so I use a lot of discs lean toward neutral/understable.

Last edited:
I may have to look into a domey opto core then. If nothing else, it sounds like a pretty fun disc to throw. From what I recall, they had a bit more s turn capability than mu buzzz so that could turn out nicely. Ive also heard about the warship. Haven't read into it much yet, but a lot of people seem to like it. Ive also still never tried a roc before... I grabbed a buzzz back in the day and really like it and never looked back. I dont see me having any use for a roc with the hornet in there (although its not my favorite disc).

I actually have an XD that ive always enjoyed throwing. I used to use it for approaches until I got my ion. I just haven't pulled it out in a while. I cant think of too many shots where I'd want to use it. MAybe for shorter anny approaches? It is getting a little beat though, so maybe a new one or something in a plastic other than dx?

My main goal is to try and find a driver for big wide open max distance shots. I currently use the striker for this kind of shot but pull out the orc/river if the wind is right.However, nothing really sticks out as my go to in that kind of situation. Something I can just rip and use the open field to my advantage.

I don't see any real holes.

You may want to try out the new Blizzard Discs. Would probably be more of a specialty disc in your bag good for the following situations:

1) Long open hole with little to no headwind/crosswind.
2) Shots were you are unable to have a run-up and need to throw flat footed (they don't need full power to get moving).

I have tried several out myself. The one that gets the most use is the Boss. Plus, if you get one less than 140g, you can have a floater in your bag for water holes.

BTW, congrats on making it a year without buying new plastic. I tried to do that just for one month and did not make it.

Honestly, I see more role confusion than gaps. What I mean is, I feel like there is plenty of times with a bag like that where you can't decide which disc to throw, mess up, and say, "Damn, I should have thrown the ____!" Discing down is one thing, and I won't preach it, but I will preach minimalism.

IMHO.

I can see that. I have so many discs, but only really use the Striker, River, Buzzz, Fuse, Ion, and Pure. If I had to make a bag with just those I would feel confident. The rest of the discs in my bag I use when I can see a really obvious reason to use them. For instance, a big hyzer so I pull out the XXX or gator depending on length. Im starting to think that instead of getting all new discs, I should try some molds I like in other plastics. I'm kinda curious to throw an opto river since I've only ever had the gl. I embraced discing down for a good 6-8 month period where I only threw the river and nothing faster. However, I had all the discs at that time as well. I guess this is why I feel I dont have a wide open driver. It may all be in the head though.

I don't see any real holes.

You may want to try out the new Blizzard Discs. Would probably be more of a specialty disc in your bag good for the following situations:

1) Long open hole with little to no headwind/crosswind.
2) Shots were you are unable to have a run-up and need to throw flat footed (they don't need full power to get moving).

I have tried several out myself. The one that gets the most use is the Boss. Plus, if you get one less than 140g, you can have a floater in your bag for water holes.

BTW, congrats on making it a year without buying new plastic. I tried to do that just for one month and did not make it.

Thanks. It was not easy to sit here on the forums and read all the reviews and not buy anything. Now that I'm in the buying mode again I feel like I must have missed out on so much... Hence the reason for this thread

I could potentially use a floater at light weight... but I've never thrown the boss in any weight. Ive never really thrown that wide of a rim, so not sure how well that will feel

You should start a Lightning collection.

Actually, the #2 Upshot is a fun putter...liddish with an XD type flight, larger diameter. In the pro plastic (U2) it's a nice approach disc. I think the Spike is better than that, and it's small diameter which I prefer.

Blizz Destroyer would be great for a wide open distance...great in heavier winds. I thought about the Boss but people said that the Destroyers were definitely more stable and reliable...seems to be true. Blizz Wraith is an absolute bomber tailwind driver. Give some thought to an OLF, too...awesome driver.

Anybody have any recommendations on trying the same molds in different plastics? I can easily go searching through the forums, but I'd rather take suggestions. I'm thinking a heavy opto river might be fun to try

Well ... if you want some new plastic and want to think there's a hole it'll be filling, get a stratus.

You seem to like Latitude 64. I love the Trident, I throw the Gold line Trident and just find it to be very consistent. You have more of an arm than I do but this disc is reliable for me and helps me get around corners. If I am in a tight spot w/ a lot of distance to go I may reach for it as well. They call it a speed 5 which for a driver is interesting, but when you see the profile it makes sense. If you throw it hard enough it will go straight for a bit but this disc is always going to by on a Hyzer. It's just awesome to know that I'm not in danger of turning it over. I'm using this to park 150' - 200' shots where I have to bend it around a tree(s) i.e. taking the safe route instead of using a mid and gambling close to the branches.

I do love that sexy swedish plastic... i debated between a trident and the XXX a while back and went with the XXX. could having both in the bag actually be beneficial or just as a fun thing? Im really leaning toward an opto river, but I do know that rivers arent the best in the wind. I feel like another good wind disc and an open shot max d type of disc could both be useful in the bag.

Latest posts