• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Help Me With My Putts

for me, concentrating on one link of one chain(where i want to hit the basket) and NEVER diverting my eyes until after follow through works best...lighter putters do help but not when its windy

when did you learn how to putt?:p

to take the one link thing a bit further- choose one on the other side of the basket- this will help eliminate the coming up short problem. trying to trick yourself with different weight putters is just as likely to screw up your short putting as it is to help your longer putts.

when did you learn how to putt?:p

to take the one link thing a bit further- choose one on the other side of the basket- this will help eliminate the coming up short problem. trying to trick yourself with different weight putters is just as likely to screw up your short putting as it is to help your longer putts.
FWIW, I'm actually recommending using a lighter putter all the time. If you use a stable mold there won't really be that big of a difference in the wind and you'll get some extra carry that you wouldn't get with a heavier putter. I like them in the 165-168g range.

FWIW, I'm actually recommending using a lighter putter all the time. If you use a stable mold there won't really be that big of a difference in the wind and you'll get some extra carry that you wouldn't get with a heavier putter. I like them in the 165-168g range.

What models seems to work well for you?

What models seems to work well for you?
I haven't tried lots of putters, but the Wizard, BB Aviar and Challenger are the top three I recommend. I've heard others have good luck with the Banger and Warlock, too. I personally don't see a reason not to just use the Wizard, but I find that if I were to just list one mold even fewer people would listen.

I haven't tried lots of putters, but the Wizard, BB Aviar and Challenger are the top three I recommend. I've heard others have good luck with the Banger and Warlock, too. I personally don't see a reason not to just use the Wizard, but I find that if I were to just list one mold even fewer people would listen.

Thanks. I just switched to soft Challenger from a Banger. I might try a lighter weight as well.

Thanks. I just switched to soft Challenger from a Banger. I might try a lighter weight as well.
Try a firmer one, too. I like softer putters for approaches, but I need all the consistancy I can get when putting and if the putter has any give it can be difficult to get a consistant release, epsecally with a pitch putt.

My switch to a lighter putter has been fairly recent too, and I was surprised at how big of a difference it made. Close putts are minimally affected and longer putts are easier to hit.

Try a firmer one, too. I like softer putters for approaches, but I need all the consistancy I can get when putting and if the putter has any give it can be difficult to get a consistant release, epsecally with a pitch putt.

My switch to a lighter putter has been fairly recent too, and I was surprised at how big of a difference it made. Close putts are minimally affected and longer putts are easier to hit.

Will do. I'm sure you've noticed that playing to par is relatively easy but low scores only come on the days when you are around the chains from the longer distances.

How do I say this without sounding like a complete ass? ....I think I am a very good putter within my range. I'm a lob putter so once I get outside of 30-35' I have no chance of hitting the chains if I "putt". I played a tournament last weekend and only missed one putt within my range. I also call a round good/bad based on my number of missed putts. 2 or less = I'm happy. 3 = I'm not too upset. 4 = a bad round.

I putt with DX Aviars b/c that's what I started with. If I'm a fan of any MFG it's Discraft but I do well with Aviars so I'm not looking to change. I will probably try the r-pro Aviar since I do really like Pro/Millenium plastic. Just pick a mold and stick with it.

If you are interested in putting in such a way that you will never miss more than one putt (ie your comeback putt is always a drop-in/gimmie) then try lobbing.

I putt with an up/down flight path and a lot of spin. It's mainly a wrist flick as I toss up so it's not arm speed that generates the spin. If I were to putt and try to miss the basket completely you would not see my disc fade at all. Lob putting uses a good amount of spin so if you miss completely or bounce off the basket you are probably hitting the ground flat and have far less chance of rolling away. The best part is you never have to worry about sailing past the basket and making your comback putt which is now further than your attempt.

The shortfalls of this style for me are my ~30' range (I just need to get my up/down variance tighter), inaccuracy in a +20mph headwind, and very low ceiling putts (so I usualy putt from the knees).

All I will say again is my friend and my brother only play twice a month if that, and they both use 167-169 Soft Magnets, and they both putt well with them. My brother makes 40-70 putts all the time. It is something to see.

i gotta disagree with master guru king disc golfer garublador once more...but these are all opinions and everyone is different. after playing and observing for 15 years, softer plastic putters seem to stick more when there is doubt...the harder putters bounce out more often, or hit the pole and slide thru the back and out

this seems to be very true for me as well. I recently gave up on my soft, floppy putters to try out a 150 organic wizard. The organic ones are made of recycled and organic materials and is about as stiff as a medium wizard, except slightly more textured. The last two rounds I've used it to sink shots from well beyond my normal range.

i gotta disagree with master guru king disc golfer garublador once more...but these are all opinions and everyone is different. after playing and observing for 15 years, softer plastic putters seem to stick more when there is doubt...the harder putters bounce out more often, or hit the pole and slide thru the back and out

I agree. That is why I use Soft Magnets and not Pro Ds. The Pro Ds just don't grab the chains like the soft ones do.

i like my jk pro aviar-x. it has a nice feel and like mentioned, it grabs chains pretty nicely(when i hit em)

All hail 80played and thank the gods of disc golf for sending his guidance to us.

all hail giles for being king smartass...my guidance you pompous *******?...it's called an opinion but based on 15 years of steady golf, i call it good observation

the Banger gt is an excellent option if your concerned about grip. I carry a 168 soft banger gt and it does fly well. It is also an excellent driver, and apporach disc. I also have a ESP banger but i wouldnt reccomend it above the soft version. 80's right in saying that the softer putters stick better and Garbs right about the lighter weights in overstable putters. IMO
Blake T over at discgolfreview says that all putters should fly the same within the circle inf your executing your putt right.

all hail giles for being king smartass...my guidance you pompous *******?...it's called an opinion but based on 15 years of steady golf, i call it good observation

For the most part, you know what you are talking about. The "I don't throw midranges" goes against the fact you have been observing others use them for 15 year IMO. The reason I am an ass to you, it isn't your information, it is the constant attacks or jabs at people. You don't like it when I do it to you, yet you feel the need to pop off on others.

i "pop off on others" when they claim their opinion is fact...just squash it..what's the point you are trying to make, i don't get it...i don't throw midranges goes against what fact?...that doesn't make any sense to me..

Latest posts