• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Help pick an understable mid

PLay a week or two with ony one or two rocs. You'll be getting close to what you're wanting, especially if you start with a seasoned roc

stoneman said:
Yeah, I don't know what I'm doing WS, that's part of the problem. What I've found, is that I have a hard time throwing any shot that is a sweeping right turn, if it is a shorter shot. I can get disks to go right if I crank them, or with the impact, if I can use some height. I've recently played a couple courses that I needed to shoot to the right, with a low ceiling, and it killed me. I have a light DX Roc to beat in, so I guess I'll work on doing that. I know I also need to work on my forehand.

Probably didn't clarify anything, did i? :lol: Thanks for the advice guys.
OK, this I get. I played a little pitch & putt that had all these low-ceiling dink 170 ft turnover shots that kicked my ass for years. Everybody else seemed to be able to throw a short touch turnover, but when I'd back off a putter the thing would hyzer out because...well, because I have no touch. The disc I learned how throw that shot with was an XD, but after I figured out how to throw it I just used my putter or a beat Roc depending on the distance. So I think it's more of a technique problem than a disc selection problem. I hope that helps.

I'd agree here, too. Just grab a handful of the same disc (putters are good because they don't go as far) and just practice anhyser throws. Make the putter come out turning right, but come down flat, not coming back, just like a plane coming in for a landing. Comes in from the left to right and lands flatish.

You get to where you can do that and a whole lot of shots open up for you. Including the shot you want the new mid for.

Then you can do this shot with a variety of discs - just need to find out how your favorite discs react and then plan accordingly.

I'd recommend improving your technique/learning a shot over a new disc any day.

stoneman said:
What I've found, is that I have a hard time throwing any shot that is a sweeping right turn, if it is a shorter shot.
This shot is less about the disc, and more about executing good technique. It works the best for me with a true stable disc, and the slower the disc, the easier it is to execute. Some prefer a more understable disc for holding a turn, but I find that less predictable than throwing a stable disc and forcing it to hold the desired line.

I like to throw Wizards on this type of line out to about 220ft. It's easy to control the amount of turn and flex with a stable putter at this range by varying the release angle, power and height of the shot. Need a little more distance? Use your stable midrange instead of a putter. Use a worn in version if you don't want it to flex out before it lands.

edit: Just read the last two responses. I guess I ended up repeating what the other guys already said.

stoneman said:
Yeah, I don't know what I'm doing WS, that's part of the problem. What I've found, is that I have a hard time throwing any shot that is a sweeping right turn, if it is a shorter shot. I can get disks to go right if I crank them, or with the impact, if I can use some height. I've recently played a couple courses that I needed to shoot to the right, with a low ceiling, and it killed me. I have a light DX Roc to beat in, so I guess I'll work on doing that. I know I also need to work on my forehand.

Probably didn't clarify anything, did i? :lol: Thanks for the advice guys.

That sounds like a Wolf shot - not good for much else though.

discdawg said:
I use Stingrays. DX for super flippy annys and Star for moderate turnovers.

I have to be careful how hard I throw them cause they tend to glide forever.

I'll second the Stingray...that is probably my favorite disc. More memorable shots with that disc than any other.

I'll give a +1 to the Elements on the slow anhyzers...

but if you are a Roc thrower and want to stick with Rocs, I'd recommend getting an Ontario Roc. They feel the same in the hand as the other Rocs, but they are much more apt to anhyzer nicely when new. I've had a Star Ontario roc in the bag for a couple of months now, and it has been the best disc I've ever thrown for straight to anhyzer shots off the teebox.

I used to really like the Hero Ontario rocs (still have several backups unthrown) -- they are the longest Rocs I've ever thrown and have a beautiful anhyzer. But I just prefer the feel of the star plastic in the hand.

stoneman said:
The only type of disc I don't have in my bag, is an understable mid. I don't even know what to try. I want something I can flip relatively easy for longer sweeping shots to the right (I'm a RHBH). I've been using been using an Impact for anhyser shots, but I can't get out too far throwing anny.

If it helps, I prefer my Pro Starfire for long drives, Rocs for approaches, and Omega SS for putting.

I tried a lightweight DX beast for the shots I'm talking about, but it's too flippy. I have a 150 class DX Leopard I found, and that the guy never came and picked up...I'll try that.

Suggestions?

I know, work on my forehand, right? :(

A beat-in D-Buzzz is very easy to flip even in a heavy weight. A DX Cobra is also a very good choice for an understable mid. These would be good for turnover shots.

However if you want to throw Anny (like you say above) you will want to throw something more stable. I have a 170g Z_buzzz that is amazing for long sweeping anny's, I'm sure a well worn DX Roc would do the trick too.

I used to fill the understable Mid slot with a D-Buzzz until one day I realized I could execute the same lines much easier with a forehand so I minimized. 8)

Van said:
DX Roc - a lighter weight will really make a difference.

Also, if you are not a strict minimalist, an Ontario should at least be tried out...they are swell...Another disc that gets NO love is the goblin. They are great for 325 sweeping annys.

if hard to get disc are not a problem for you---STAR GREMLIN

I use a Star Gremlin for the shots you are talking about. I works beautifully and I highly recommend it.

For the Star Gremlin the removed the bead so it is significantly less stable than the proline which i also throw.

just my 2cents

DigIt said:
kvanorsdel said:
Element or Beat S Element-X

+1

I throw the elements, but was given a kc roc and boy oh boy do I have some decision to make! The element-x is one bad arse disc, but it is not the kc roc though! they have there own niche's.
I do use the s-element for turnovers

Latest posts