• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Help with disc selection.

atison

Par Member
I have recently backed down my driver and put the Champ Beast in the bag and only pull it out for fh drives and overhands. I am just not ready to backhand the beast.

I am grooving my old leopard dx 150 and love hyzer-flipping it. I am getting some good consistent distance with smooth controlled throws that I don't have to over power.

I recently picked up a 169 Viking DX that I really like, and have some great drives with, but I still have a hard time getting it to turn over at all.

I would like to add something to my bag that I can put a little more power to than my leopard without too much fear of turning it too far over like my dx leopard does if I power it too much. But I don't want something too overstable.

I also would like something that comes in Champion plastic (or Discrafts equal), that won't change as drastically with a little wear (I play wooded courses mostly).

I would like to stay in the 150 class too as I enjoy the distance I can get without feeling like I have to muscle it.

Any suggestions for something to compliment my beat dc leopard?

Oh, and here is my bag so you know what I already got.

DX Avair PnA 150
DX Shark 150 (dead straight. Use it for most straight approaches)
Cyclone Pro-6 168 (still learning this one, good fairway drives so far)
DX Viking 169 (Power driver for me. Can get it flat, but it won't turn over yet)
DX Leopard 150 (said driver)
Champion BEast 172 (relegated to occasional FH drives and overhand shots)

I would go with a 150 Pro TL (disc golf center 12.99), or even a 150 x surge (maybe too flippy though)

If you can get a KC Cheetah that would be good too.

Discraft 150 Impact might be good too, but compares well with your leopard.

Or maybe a lighter weight viking.

he wants to stay in the 150 class.

Why do players have boxes of a bunch of different molds that never get used? Because they don't respect that weight plays a factor in the flight characteristics of their discs.

What he is searching for can easily obtained by adding some weight to his favorite mold.

FWIW...If you can handle the weight of a 169g Viking you can surely handle a 165g Leopard.

Or you could give the Valkyrie a shot. Slower than a Beast, faster than a Leopard.

Champion Valkyrie is also avialable in 150g.

It's not quite what you asked for, but how about a disc that starts off a bit overstable and breaks in to being super controlable and stays in that state for a long time? If that sounds good a D Cyclone or DX Gazelle will be perfect.

If you're OK with mid grate plastic, the Polaris LS is an excellent disc for learning, too. It will be easier to control off the bat than the Cyclone or Gazelle and more durable than a DX Leopard or Cheetah.

The issue with the high end plastics for discs like this is that they either start off a bit on the overstable side and take forever to break in, or they start off nice and break in to be squirrley. It's also harder to find the lower weights like you want.

Thanks for all your input, and I don't mind folks recommending outside my guidelines (after all still a novice so my guidelines have little merit).

Already have a Cyclone pro-d and I am not sure I will be back for any more pro-d disks as I play very wooded courses and one tree hit on it the other day did some serious damage to it. Love the feel of pro-d but way too soft for wooded courses.

I have no problem throwing heavier discs, hence the 169 Valkyrie I noted that I liked. A leopard in the low 160's is a viable option.

I didn't realize the Valkyrie came in a 150 in champion. That seems like a good option.

Thanks again for your input. I am really set on a 150 class (or low 160's) in champion plastic, so I am leaning toward the Valk in 150 or a slightly heavier leopard.

Already have a Cyclone pro-d and I am not sure I will be back for any more pro-d disks as I play very wooded courses and one tree hit on it the other day did some serious damage to it. Love the feel of pro-d but way too soft for wooded courses.
How did it fly after the hit?

I've never had a slower disc like that ruined by a single hit or skip on cement. I don't believe that they break in as fast as people say. Even Teebirds take a while to break in and they're faster (thinner nose, generally) yet.

Latest posts