• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Help with driving - angle of flight

Skyrockets in flight would accurately describe some of my drives. I can consistently reach about 300' and I'm perfectly okay with that. My problem is keeping my drives flat and not shoting high up in the sky. Half the time when I release my disc immediately angles far higher than I want it to. Half the time I can keep it flat. Playing lots of wooded courses, I could really improve my game if I could keep my drives from going to high up. I recorded my self throwing and I still can't tell what happens. It doesn't seem like my arm goes to high and it seems as if my wrist is in line with my arm. Something happens as soon as I release and my disc immediately angles upwards.

Intermediate player....playing for about 6 years. Can't grip big rims well so I stick to throwing my eagle which I get the best throws off of. Recently noticed my eagle is so broke in it flips over occasionally so I just picked up a teebird hoping that it wouldn't. Thanks for any advice and sorry for the long post. First time poster.

You're pulling from low to high (I do this a lot).
You're throwing nose up.
You're leaving back or not getting your weight forward.

Hold your disc directly out in front of you facing the target (stand sideways). Find where you want to release your disc. Focus on that spot. Pull the disc back from that line in a line straight back. Don't go off of this line, up or down or side to side. Keep that spot in the corner of your vision. Focus on hitting that spot in a clean, smooth, fast fashion. Don't throw hard, throw fast.

Keep the disc inline with your forearm. Keep your forearm, disc and elbow on your pull line.

Hard to say what's wrong without a video. Most people I see on the course with similar issues to yours have a way too long last step which causes their upper body to lean back a bit.

Well that makes a lot of sense. I'm 6'1" and I have long legs. The first thing I noticed watching myself was "wow, that is a really long last step, it looks weird." Definitely not getting enough weight forward, by the time I release it seems like my body is finally centered over my leg. In combo with nose up I believe. It's how I think I've been throwing forever so going to take some focus on taking a smaller step, getting weight forward, and gripping harder. Thanks all

I have been running into this problem recently as I have been trying to rework my form and gain distance. I think it's a subconscious habit to throw a bit nose up because we want the disc to take off in an upward trajectory and achieve a flight potential instead of just going 5 feet off the ground and then falling. I have not yet watched that video Sidewinder posted but I will after this.

For example, today I threw a few holes and one throw had my Wraith nose down and flat, but it was only about my height off the ground and died out before getting a lot of distance. But I also threw it on a pretty good trajectory on an unofficial 340-350' shot and I felt pretty good about it. I'm not sure exactly yet how to dial in the perfect throw but I guess that's what we're all working towards :). Also I had some really nose-up throws that stalled out and lost potential distance, so it's a touchy operation.

I just wanted to say something because I have been contemplating this very issue lately. I feel that driving is the toughest part of disc golf. It's a big throw that requires a lot of coordination.

Latest posts