• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Axiom] Hex Midrange (you can Hex it but don't nice me!)

How does it compare to a Squall?

Last edited:
-Hex is very, very good. Stability wise, between the regular Buzzz and SS. Pops up from hyzer and goes straight for a long time. Seems faster and a bit longer than Buzzz. Not sure how well it will power down or handle wind.

The honeymoon is officially over but I'm still in love with this disc. Played 21 at Bailey and 9 at the local community college and threw this disc whenever I could. It is now my staple disc for mid to long shots, it feels great in my hand and flies far with simple finishes. Distance is intuitive with this disc.

As far as the wind goes, that is one of the things that made me a believer. There's a hole at West Fork where the wind can be a real sonuva. There are buildings that funnel a downhill wind and it can be highly annoying. Hex bobbled but ended up parked. I usually throw a Destroyer on that hole for wind reasons and uphill distance issues.

Total anecdotal, but man, I fell hard for this disc and I hope it doesn't flake out on me. Don't expect that it will, but since I bought a couple more today, ...

For me, it's the best of a Meteor and Buzzz in terms of flight, but the feel in the hand is better than either.

As far as FH goes it's a good flier but touchy like a Buzzz. I can't full send yet on a straight line. It's fine on hyzer ofc. It does fight back quite well, but a full-send wooded 'window' type FH...I can't say where I'm going to land on that one. It's close.

The TSA Pathfinder in Ethos plastic knocked the Buzzz out of my bag. Now the Hex is trying to take the Fuse out.

More fieldwork today. Thoughts in no order on the off-chance of usefulness:

Feels like I'm throwing a 155g disc even though it's 177 or so.

Getting very intuitive results--the very last throw I made was in proximity of trees and a baseball diamond with high fences and dugouts. Trying to force 3D shapes. Wanted it to do a high nose-angle FH flex line and land near a picnic table, and it did it almost exactly how I imagined it. Intuitive.

Distance is about 30' less than my glidey fairways--ie Escape. I throw my Escape about 375' max.

I really hope a pro (hi James Conrad) makes this a staple disc because that would validate my own thoughts on it. Seems like a near-perfect power mid. None of the shenanigans you get with fairway/distance drivers (bad misses, intense precession-versus-linear-speed at end of flight, so forth) but almost all of the distance.

I've been super impressed by the Discraft Buzzz in my short (1 year) disc golf obsession. Impressed because of the disc flight characteristics.

This is, to me, the best of those flight characteristics but in a more comfortable package. I think a Compass/Buzzz/Fuse comp is decent, that describes the distance and high-quality midrange driver flight characteristics.

I'm trying to pinpoint why I love it so much, I know my words don't capture it. It's probably the black on blue color scheme.

PS--still having bank angle issues on max distance FH. Not super concerned, there are other discs I have for that role. Just test-flight notes.

Got a few throws in with the Hex yesterday. Not bad, I'm also not immediately enamored by it. It goes as far as my fairway drivers without getting squirrely. The plastic felt....different?? Not bad though, just didn't feel like any of my older Neutron plastic.

I threw it a bunch today during tags round.

Going to take me some time to trust it, I sent it to the right of the basket subconsciously (I'd normally throw a Pig/Caiman type disc). It didn't turn and it didn't fade. It's exactly why I think it's going to be my staple disc. I was still left with birdie putts on ~300' holes, but from the right side. Wind was in play, was a bit gusty/sprinkly with lightning in the distance.

The flight of this disc and the feel in the hand has me a believer. It will take a sec to trust the line but I'm going to stick it out.

How would the Hex compare to my beloved, now oop, plasma Axis?

Been a while since I threw my axis as well, got a dozen tosses in on the hex last night. Feels very shallow to me but in my head the Axis is the closest comparison. Feels like it needs to break in to ride anhyzer angles, sneaky long just like the reactor. I lost it a bunch of times last night, I should have been looking 30' further.

Been a while since I threw my axis as well, got a dozen tosses in on the hex last night. Feels very shallow to me but in my head the Axis is the closest comparison. Feels like it needs to break in to ride anhyzer angles, sneaky long just like the reactor. I lost it a bunch of times last night, I should have been looking 30' further.

That good huh? I've been trying try finding one to try and striking out. Was waiting on a gift card to clear in Infinite and they sold out.

That good huh? I've been trying try finding one to try and striking out. Was waiting on a gift card to clear in Infinite and they sold out.

Hyzer farm on eBay has the Hex... if you're real desperate at some point I'd work a trade with you for a reactor. It's like $15 to ship but I'd help you out..

Hyzer farm on eBay has the Hex... if you're real desperate at some point I'd work a trade with you for a reactor. It's like $15 to ship but I'd help you out..

I'll check them out, since you are deeper down the gyro rabbit hole, which one do you think I would enjoy more reactor vs hex?

Just starting a new job, so I'll give one a shot when my first check clears.

I'll check them out, since you are deeper down the gyro rabbit hole, which one do you think I would enjoy more reactor vs hex?

Just starting a new job, so I'll give one a shot when my first check clears.

You and I throw about the same distance (I might have you on backhand but your forehand towers over my 385' all out flex FH game) and I genuinely think you'd be better served with a Reactor. Hex was nice but I've found reactors at 350-365 feet are laser straight, might have the slightest drift once worked in a little bit but are very solid HSS without having too much LSS. I spent a good bit of time throwing my 7/10 reactor next to a 10/10 hex and I'll be darned if they flew any different. I've got a reactor I'm not using and am moving to the ATL area in two weeks so I'd let you have it for free to try out and see what you think.

They are so good once beaten in. They fly 5/5/-.5/.5 or so. Such solid HSS and lose their LSS but still are dependable with full rips. Truly a great mold.

You and I throw about the same distance (I might have you on backhand but your forehand towers over my 385' all out flex FH game) and I genuinely think you'd be better served with a Reactor. Hex was nice but I've found reactors at 350-365 feet are laser straight, might have the slightest drift once worked in a little bit but are very solid HSS without having too much LSS. I spent a good bit of time throwing my 7/10 reactor next to a 10/10 hex and I'll be darned if they flew any different. I've got a reactor I'm not using and am moving to the ATL area in two weeks so I'd let you have it for free to try out and see what you think.

They are so good once beaten in. They fly 5/5/-.5/.5 or so. Such solid HSS and lose their LSS but still are dependable with full rips. Truly a great mold.

PM me when you get to town and we can get a round in!

Thanks for the info, I have continuously been tempted by eclipse reactors and I may just grab one in my next order.

So I've got a handful of hexes, a neutron reactor and a glow reactor.

For what it's worth on a forehand line I can hit 300 on a frozen rope with the hex. Reactor might be a hair shorter but fades out a bit more and overall probably a bit more reliable. Glow reactor is beefier than neutron. Could probably stretch them out even further but would rather throw a fairway at that point.

I can hit 350+ with a relay or crave on a flat FH rip, hex I'd say is more the relay mid counterpart and reactor is more crave.

I'm also throwing the newer relays. Newer to gyro but have read newer relays don't start out true to numbers. I know I've got a few volts that are wayyyyy beefier than expected.

Latest posts