• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Axiom] Hex Midrange (you can Hex it but don't nice me!)

Yeah I'd third that... I threw the hex on more anhyzer tonight and unless you are looking for a finesse disc it's probably as squirrely as your beat warships. The hex is not in a slot you use so an eclipse reactor would probably be a good fit. It is a good glow mid the few times I've thrown it into a strong headwind it gets more turn than an envy but has a long drawn out gyro glide fade thing going on like a good Volt. You think it's dropping but it just keeps pushing. That's a hallmark of a good disc for a dude with more power, you'll probably get some long straight flights, and a finesse FH disc...while I keep trying to beat in my Hex to straight haha.

I see it fitting in under your envy for stability, in a way that's controllable with more angle control and less straight, unless you want it to be.

I'm also throwing the newer relays. Newer to gyro but have read newer relays don't start out true to numbers. I know I've got a few volts that are wayyyyy beefier than expected.

If your new Relays are "cosmic" that made a difference with me, they had a real flat top.. but I also haven't tried a new stock run.

If your new Relays are "cosmic" that made a difference with me, they had a real flat top.. but I also haven't tried a new stock run.

Mine are stock neutron, pretty sure from the latest run. They're nice and flat. I've got two, both are maybe 173-174 a peachy swirly one and a blurplish swirly one.

I was definitely bummed that the volts I ordered are beefcakes. Got two protons and a cosmic neutron. They fly more like a pd or mellow firebird and I can get both the crave and relay our further. Do they just need forever to break in? Local shop has electron volts but they've got some dome, almost look a different disc altogether. Do they fly decent?

Really really impressed with the hex, reactor, relay, and crave so far though. Got a couple cosmic neutron insanities coming that I'm hoping will absolutely crush.

Mine are stock neutron, pretty sure from the latest run. They're nice and flat. I've got two, both are maybe 173-174 a peachy swirly one and a blurplish swirly one.

I was definitely bummed that the volts I ordered are beefcakes. Got two protons and a cosmic neutron. They fly more like a pd or mellow firebird and I can get both the crave and relay our further. Do they just need forever to break in? Local shop has electron volts but they've got some dome, almost look a different disc altogether. Do they fly decent?

Really really impressed with the hex, reactor, relay, and crave so far though. Got a couple cosmic neutron insanities coming that I'm hoping will absolutely crush.

Hmmm yeah Relays in my noodle universe have a little dome, I have a fr and some pfns and efn's (early flight numbers :) ) all with a little dome. My cosmic relay is flat and it's my "relay os", I dumped the crave, my domey volts are next then light se neutron teslas at 158ish, or a fission 164 tesla big dome. Any flat tesla I have is a pig, plasma especially might as well throw a tilt!

Insanity I prefer flat... got some 158's cosmic and they're nice, had a domey 165 plasma and it needed some beating to get it flying " right" but it was dead grass gold so it's gone :)

The volts I want some dome, I've got a blue fr 172 with dome that I loved (but it's kinda heavy for me now) and a white fr that's flat... I dumped the flat white on FB, too beefy. I picked up a fission domey blue 162 and it's awesome, got a 163 fission flat and it's alright, got a 165 N early run with dome that's really awesome... never thrown electron but I'm definitely horny on some dome for the volts.

I'm thinking about playing a round tomorrow from the silvers at Beaver--Hex only.

The world needs this, I should do it.

Hey so I did this. Played 21 with the full bag and 21 laying curses.

I did shoot a better round with the Hex, but that doesn't tell the full story. Bottom line--did I learn more about the disc, do I still want to bag it and think of it as a staple disc, and what does it do well / not well?

I still want to bag it. I am in radical minimization mode and want as few molds as possible. If this is our engagement period, I'm not calling off the wedding.

Did I learn more about the disc? I learned that I don't like to throw it on uphill FH flex lines. The disc didn't misbehave, but it's more along the lines of 'nailing angle with compounding difficulties is difficult'. That is, throwing uphill for me on FH naturally leads to more anny releases, just how my mechanics revert. Plus uphill takes more juice to send it. Then trying to hit a gap on a flex line, which--while hard--isn't the hardest thing, just gets that much harder when the two factors combine.

I learned that I love the Hex touch FH for laser beam shots, but not beyond about 250'.

I learned that if I send it on a huge hyzer spike in the wind, it won't fly like a Firebird (who knew?)

I learned that, in general, I'd much rather throw BH than FH toward uphill pins with it.

I learned that it really doesn't turn unless you give it slight anny on release. It tends to 'catch' at wings-level on ~275-300' throws.

I learned that I should just go brainless and throw it--it's an intuitive disc. You know how sometimes you just kinda throw on a line, often a mild hyzer, and it works and seems real natural? Lots of discs are like that, this is also like that.

I learned that it handles mild object impedance/deflection well. On one hole it went through some small pine branches and didn't get weird afterwards. Not sure this is a special thing, but I guess I was a little impressed it stayed so true. On another hole it grazed bark and finished at the pin. Again, maybe all discs would do that, but it was cool somehow.

I learned I can trust it on a steep FH hyzer line that needs to cover a lot of ground going from left to right. Until I threw it and it flew so naturally, I wasn't actually sure how it would behave. I used to throw a Pig or FB on this hole. The first round I threw an Envy.

I learned I don't want to putt with it, even though it feels good enough in the hand to consider it. Had a couple dead in the basket that popped out. Wouldn't have happened with a putter.

Yeah, I'm not going to call off the marriage yet. Besides one hole for which the Hex isn't a big enough stick to reach it, the disc gave me a chance to birdie every hole. I wouldn't want to blast a FH with it except maybe a massive anny FH, but I'd rather Tursas that. I need to do more in the wind tho--in gnarly wind. There was some wind today, up to 10-15 gusts here and there but mainly benign and didn't get any counter-indicative data--nothing wonky happened, so either Hex was ok or it wasn't bad wind.

Today was stormy and mad windy at West Fork. Thought there might end up being some kinda tornado summer squall thingy.

So I'm like...

Aite, Hex. Watchu got?

:D

I'd say it's pretty close to a Buzzz in terms of how it plays in the wind.

With a headwind, it's shockingly reliable.

If wind gets under the parting line, it will not win that fight. It is not a Firebird, no sir.

Other winds--if you keep it on pure/low lines and not big hyzer/steep/high lines, the results are doubly rewarding. As in, yep, that wind is a factor, yep, that disc is parked.

But it has all the normal neutral-slight OS mid/driver wind issues you would otherwise expect. The wedding is still on.

:D

I'd say it's pretty close to a Buzzz in terms of how it plays in the wind.

With a headwind, it's shockingly reliable.

If wind gets under the parting line, it will not win that fight. It is not a Firebird, no sir.

Hey good to know about the wind, I'm at the same place with it kinda beat buzzz like, what impresses me most is the HSS without being unwieldy. Just a good flat flyer, it definitely exposes my nose up problems :D. It's actually a midrange with good mid distance!!!

The discs it will be taking the most shots away from is the (short) relay or (long)ohm.. if it sticks around.

Last edited:
Yeah, I got this pink Ohm that I'm not *even* ready to mess around with. I threw it a bit and thought, nah, too good. I might cheat on my Envy and ruin our marriage plans. :D

(Ultimately it's a comfort thing--I really, really like how Envy and Hex feel in my hand--Ohm flies fantastic but is a tad too deep)

BTW, I absolutely detested, loathed, despised....Axiom and MVP. I threw a few molds and none of them resonated. My first impression was 'gimmick'.

The Envy is a very good disc golf disc. Period. The rest follows.

Yeah, I got this pink Ohm that I'm not *even* ready to mess around with. I threw it a bit and thought, nah, too good. I might cheat on my Envy and ruin our marriage plans. :D

(Ultimately it's a comfort thing--I really, really like how Envy and Hex feel in my hand--Ohm flies fantastic but is a tad too deep)

The ohm has been a good disc for me, it filled out that midrange need but yeah it messes with my envy mojo if I throw it too much. Not a huge fan of neutron plastic either, that R2 is better though.

I'm wrestling with whether or not I need the hex, it overlaps a lot with other discs but still hits a nice middle ground between them. I can turn it decent at short range but it's too beefy to power straight at 150'. That's Comet/Ohm territory. It gives me more reach than an envy by 30' with better height holding. But I can do that with a relay kind of... it's at my fairway minimum distance limit and it FHs similar to a relay with better range control. Basically it fills that 50' gap between a fresh soft electron envy and a beat relay.

Currently having an affair with the soft electron 174 envy, it does a lot of 165 ohm shots and feels great in soft plastic. Durability will be it's downfall though

Last edited:
My firm electron Envy arrived today and I threw it a bit--same flight profile but different feel. Pretty interchangeable, this disc is actually 168g or so and is maybe ideal as a putter. Other new Envy is another max weight Eclipse. All that's available and the Eclipse is fine. Upside is that it's surprisingly useful when you end up playing another 18 after sunset... ! :D

But the more I throw the Hex the more this is my conclusion: it's a decent mid.

I like it because it really connected with me instantly in terms of comfort and feel and first few throws were pure. (Coincidentally, the last throw was also absolutely pure and parked. I'm in.) If Ezra A taught me one thing it's that Comfort is Key. That should one of the 10 disc golf commandments.

Hex is comfortable for me. Most of what I'm typing is self-justification. Try it in your hand and if it's good in your hand I bet you will like to throw it. (this is the paid advertisement for the rest of the crowd, not you TaEnvy)

I'm trying to *break* this Hex. Find reasons to ditch it. So far, I'd say it sucks at nose-up things. If it's an accidental slight nose-up on a pure line, you are fine. If it's a high-energy high-nose-angle shot, you picked the wrong tool for the job.

It does fine with moderate hyzer and anny that have some nose angle stuff.

Just throw it if it feels good in the hand. I love how it feels.

Yeah mvp discs don't do nose up, except something like a spin, but as a general rule nose up don't go too far.

Picked up another se off fb.. 172 orange on orange with swirls :D. Good thing I stayed up too late drinking beer and playing Apex..

I hope I get to hear other experiences.

Why did I even land on this mid? So weird to me.

I met a disc golf bro at my fieldwork park and let him cast a few Hexes. He had a consistent stroke, but even so, his first two throws the discs landed on top of each other.

Idk, something about this disc. I feel like I'm kind of a weirdo for latching onto it.

A weirdo who thinks he'll have good scores when he throws it, but still...

No one else in love with it?

I wish I had more shots where I could throw it, local courses don't favor it as a shot off the teepad for as many holes as I'd like. When I do throw it, I think I should throw it more.

I hope I get to hear other experiences.

Why did I even land on this mid? So weird to me.

No one else in love with it?

I wish I had more shots where I could throw it, local courses don't favor it as a shot off the teepad for as many holes as I'd like. When I do throw it, I think I should throw it more.

Well I think half the problem is availability.. I just saw some on the FB market page up here, the main retailers are still waiting to receive em. I haven't checked the mvp fb fan page though. I only go there when I'm Mining factual information, I go hear for opinions I can "trust"

Touch of the misfiring brain this AM as I posted a Hex shot to the Crave thread. Making amends with a Watermelon Jolly Rancher.

Attachments

• 6B3CD627-E266-4E71-A630-87C2C23C6600.jpg
    6B3CD627-E266-4E71-A630-87C2C23C6600.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 60

Latest posts