• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Axiom] Hex Midrange (you can Hex it but don't nice me!)

Tested my 168g Hex today for the first time, along with the Reactor I already bag.

Less turn than I expected, Reactor with less fade is pretty accurate description.

Staying in the bag for now but might switch out when the more understable mid gets released (axiom Paradox??)

Another round yesterday, two birdies and one birdie look, starting to grow on me.

Wish it had just a hint of more turn, really hard to turn it over with my power, super stable disc (not overstable or understable).

Perhaps I need to try giving it some roughing up

I sometimes bag discmania neo Origin which has identical flight numbers, that one feels much more understable, more Fuse than Hex.

You are correct, sir. At least not in the light weights I prefer.

Man you really went all in on them! And you haven't thrown one yet? Funny since you suggested it was a "longer envy" and that's the best description I've heard :)

Man you really went all in on them! And you haven't thrown one yet? Funny since you suggested it was a "longer envy" and that's the best description I've heard :)

I thought "longer Envy" was your description. :)

Yeah I hope I like the Hex. With discs in short supply, it shouldn't be too hard to find good homes if they don't work out.

I thought "longer Envy" was your description. :)

Yeah I hope I like the Hex. With discs in short supply, it shouldn't be too hard to find good homes if they don't work out.

Ha you were the one that condensed my 2 paragraphs to two words. I think you'll like em.

How does a Hex compare to a Squall? They sound similar.

Went to Clark's Run this evening and threw the Hex exclusively on drives and approaches (except the water carry on hole 2). For background, Clark's Run is a 6,885' par 63, tightly wooded with elevation. Shooting par in a tournament yields a rating around 965, and my best score there is 3 over par.

Short version: OMG, Hex is legit.

Longer version: Hex is nearly stable, nearly as long as my fairway drivers, has a mellow fade, and flies beautifully BH and FH. Thrown on a slight hyzer it pushes to straight without turning and finishes with a mild fade. Thrown flat it had a slight turn and slight fade, flying like a midrange version of an S-FD. Thrown anhyzer Hex held the turn for most of the flight, panning late if given enough height. Practice throws with the Hex usually landed right next to each other, so it flies consistently.

I cut the round short because of thunderstorms in the area. Results:

Hole 1: Straight tunnel, 366' tough par 3. Hex, Hex, par putt.
Hole 3: Uphill 528' tough par 4. Hex, Hex, sidearm Hex, drop-in par.
Hole 6: Downhill 228' tunnel, par 3. Hex sidearm, missed circle 2 putt, par.
Hole 7: Tight downhill 298' par 3. Yanked Hex into a tree, Hex approach, par.
Hole 8: Short but technical 633' par 5. Hex, Hex, Hex, Hex, drop-in par.
Hole 9: Valley shot, 420' par 4. Hex, Hex, missed 27' birdie putt.
Hole 10: Steeply downhill with basket just past the creek, 249' par 3. Hex, drop-in birdie.
Hole 17: Dogleg right, 399' par 4. Hex, Hex, short birdie putt.
Hole 18: Steeply uphill, 299' tough par 3. Hex, Hex, drop-in par.

So throwing Hex exclusively on a tough course, on holes where I usually throw drivers, I was one missed putt away from shooting 3 down through 9 holes. Did I mention that my best is 3 over? :clap:

Can't wait to toss the Hex some more. :D

Last edited:
You guys are funny. The Hex is pretty much MVP's Mako3. You could have been throwing the same shots years ago.

You guys are funny. The Hex is pretty much MVP's Mako3. You could have been throwing the same shots years ago.

I suppose I could have but the Mako I got is a 180 our love affair ran out of gas quick :( and more than anything else I hate innova... unless it's a roadrunner.. Maybe a 161 orc, the beast was alright.. Teebird sucks..

Ha, I played 176 MJ '21 comet vs 169 se hex tonight, good combo, not quite Monocacy's round but more than adequate. Still a reasonable separation between the two. Getting close but not totally overlapping. I think the hex will steal my entropy/heavy n envy/180Z comet slot, I'll probably kick something else for the entropy if it's real windy just for BH putting.

Played in a few breezes and it does fine. The Gale force winds are still a few months off to adequately test.

I'd almost agree 100%. And you might actually be exactly right.

But what I have noticed is a slight bit of stability/lack-of-turn from the Hex that I don't see in Mako3. The comfort factor is super close, too, between the two. I <3 me some Mako3.

I think they both have long legs, and I'm actually thinking Hex/Mako3 has Buzzz/Meteor distance to it, which I didn't think was true at first.

But...you Mako a great point!!! :D

I think I've flipped my Mako3 a bit and haven't with my Hex the same way, that might be my only (possibly fictional) distinction.

Heh. I have thrown a Mako but not a Mako3. If I had known that Hex and Mako3 were supposed to be similar I would have added a Mako3 to the order for comparison. Oh, well.

FWIW, Hex is a very different disc (flight and grip) compared with the super-domey Star Mako (not Mako3) that I tried a few years ago. Hex fits my FH grip way better, seem more forgiving of errors, and flies beautifully on low lines. In contrast, the Star Mako (as I recall) needed more height and touch.

But, as I said, pretty sure I have never tossed a Mako3.

Hex has more HSS and LSF than a mako3, been throwing them the last few years along with the roc prior to the hex/reactor combo.

Mako3 is a great disc that's very versatile, but the hex handles power and wind better but still easy to throw.

Latest posts